123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Signing Companies
 Time to put Signing companies in their place
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CinOh

10 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  4:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a newbie here but thought I'd add my two cents. I understand what you're saying about signing companies lowballing signing agents.

I had one call me the other day and asked me to print two sets of a 45 page settlement package, drive to the signers home, make all the notarizations and fax back for $15-20 dollars. I laughed and I could tell she was shocked and hurt. So, I'm with you 100% on the lowballing getting out of hand.

However, from a business standpoint I think this could backfire on signing agents. There is no guarantee that most realty companies, brokers, loan officers would do what you're asking. They could very well send the docs to the borrower and ask them to mosey on over to Kinkos and have the notarizations done. Where would that leave us? Possibly out in the cold.

What many of these signing companies are doing is unethical but I don't think government involvement or mandates are the way to go.

Go to Top of Page

KanDoNotary

Oklahoma
69 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  2:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit KanDoNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Getting the government involved is not the way to go. Everybody has an opinion, and all may be legal. But that won't make it right or fair. Also, has anyone seen a bill passed in Congress without a dozen or so other, unrelated projects added on? What could potentially be added to get it to pass? Do we really want to go there?

I like the idea put forth on another topic--that the notary be paid at the table. That would make it more of a business transaction between the borrower (who pays the fee anyway) and the notary who hasn't had anything to do with the paperwork being signed. Seems that would be more of a hands-off transaction that may have saved the current real estate mess.

Have Seal, Kan Travel!
Go to Top of Page

jthorne

California
9 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  1:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit jthorne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you give me some suggestons then on how to handle these situations. I spoke to the NNA and they seemed to be very open to working on both of these issues.[
quote:
Originally posted by LindaH

Be careful what you wish for - government regulation may be the last thing you want when being an independent contractor..JMO

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell

Go to Top of Page

jthorne

California
9 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  1:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jthorne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you give me some suggestons then on how to handle these situations. I spoke to the NNA and they seemed to be very pen o working on both of these issues.
quote:
Originally posted by LeapFrog

What LindaH said!

Chris

Go to Top of Page

jthorne

California
9 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  1:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit jthorne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Darlene that is true, but it is a RESPA violation by not giving the borrower a choice of vendor they desire or allowing them to shop the price as they are the one paying the fee. Provident too is in violation there is nothing in the FHLMC and FNMA guide that requires E&O insurance be any greater than the insurance required by the State for Notaries. I have had 28 years in the Lending and Title industry. Just the same they require the Signing Service to carry as much E&O, what does the signing service do but assign the job, they don't meet the customer, they don't see the docs the liabilty lies on the Notary
quote:
Originally posted by Darlene

Some title companies have policies in place that if they are to use a outside notary that they must have the following: Errors & omissions insurance in the amount of $100,0000 (Provident requires $500,000) as well as three business references. Since lenders hold title companies responsible for having the signing conducted in a controlled atmosphere the companies must follow the rules that are in place. Keep in mind they are not discriminating against notaries but do have a guideline in place.

Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  11:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please... no government involvement. If you are in business--any business--you make your own rules. Either people wanting to hire you meet them--or they don't. End of story. Any businessperson who wants Uncle Sam to take care of all their problems shouldn't be in business for themselves as they obviously can't handle it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a

Arizona
1 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  10:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some title companies have policies in place that if they are to use a outside notary that they must have the following: Errors & omissions insurance in the amount of $100,0000 (Provident requires $500,000) as well as three business references. Since lenders hold title companies responsible for having the signing conducted in a controlled atmosphere the companies must follow the rules that are in place. Keep in mind they are not discriminating against notaries but do have a guideline in place.
Go to Top of Page

LeapFrog

Idaho
35 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  2:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit LeapFrog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What LindaH said!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

azdocsign

Arizona
89 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  2:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit azdocsign's Homepage  Reply with Quote
jthorne

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you shuold decide to go to Congress. I might be able to assist you some in the process.

Kathy Fletcher
kfletcher@azdocsign.com
http://www.azdocsign.com

Edited by - azdocsign on 10/24/2008 2:25:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  08:43:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be careful what you wish for - government regulation may be the last thing you want when being an independent contractor..JMO

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell
Go to Top of Page

jthorne

California
9 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  08:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit jthorne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am sure all of you have a signing company or two that you enjoy working with as do I. But as these hard times keep growing the signing companings are starting to take more of your money. Example: yesterday a frind of mine was called to do a "esigning" but was asked to print a set of docs for the client. Our fee where we are would be $125, they told her her fee was $100. The notary noticd on the closing sheet that the signing company was charging $225 to the title company. That is when it's getting out of hand.

Second borrowers are being told that they can't use their own notary in transactions. Title companies at tying together with signing companies where the the signingcompany has them wrapped around their finger. I am in the process of checking out with HUD regarding RESPA rules but I believe this is a violation of RESPA. The borrower has the right to choose whever they desire to be their notary as they are paying the fee. Example you set up a relationship with a Realtor to to all their closings, the realtor tells title you are to be the signer, the title company should not be able to change that, even in theses short sales and bank repos.

give me your thoughts or email me at jeffrey@jeffreythorne.com. We are considering taking this to congress to have a bill passed on behalf of the notaries.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.