123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Newbie & Mentoring Section
 Expenses to Begin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cw2usarmyret

Virginia
122 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2013 :  06:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Printer - One word only LASER. While you can get by with single tray, dual tray is better (mixed size legal/letter in PDF file).
You can get a refurbished dual tray printer for a reasonable price.

I carry an HP Scanjet Professional 1000 Mobile Scanner. (I take my lap top with me) Very good for scanning ID's. (Scans at 500 dpi on color photo setting). Also great job up to legal size paper.

The scanner is great for meeting faxback requirements. Example needed to scan 31 pages, was done in 7 or 8 min.

FAX service - you can use eFax services like Ring Central 9.99 a month for up to 500 pages. How it works is you scan your docs and save them as PDF file. You use your email service to FAX your docs. You use their FAX number as an email addy. ie They want you to fax something to 866-111-1111. You turn the fax number into 8661111111@rcfax.com. You attached the saved pdf file to the email. It goes right to their fax machine. AS part of the Ring Central service they will give you a "fax number". You can have someone fax something to you if needed. It will show up in your email and the fax with be a PDF attachment. Side note - professional business have a fax capability and there are times when you need it.

the days of a fax machine tied to a fax line are over. I've never have had to pay someone to Fax something.
Go to Top of Page

BobbiCT

Connecticut
135 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2013 :  06:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit BobbiCT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To become a "Notary Public," which is a PUBLIC OFFICIAL commissioned by your state, you only need what your State requires. (CT is a commission, no stamp and no seal - but everyone has one).

1. Start by checking your Secretary of State website for your own state requirements; i.e., testing, stamp/seal (purchased anywhere), bond and/or E&O.

2. Membership in trade associations and organizations is OPTIONAL. Not state requires you to become a member of any association or organization. If you have not experience with mortgage closings, you will need training in loan document package review, including settlement statements (aka HUD-1), depending on your state you will learn what you, as a non-attorney can and cannot "say" or "explain" to the borrowers.

3. Bonding, E&O - depends on your state. If your state doesn't require it, I recommend E&O for your notary public services. Since you plan on becoming a signing agent and offering additional services, you will want to look into business liability coverage. You are personally financially liable to anyone (that includes a secondary market purchaser of a loan, defrauded ex-spouse or parent or business partner) that may be financially harmed by your improper notarization or fraud; i.e., in a lawsuit you may be a co-defendant [because of your actions, X% of the financial harm was your fault] or witness. Keep good records to prove you followed your STATE LAWS.

4. Check to see if you can and if it is profitable to offer finger printing services. (Competing with your local police department, public school or senior center who may provide this service for FREE isn't always good business sense.)

5. Name - Your notary public commission will be in your name. If you decide to set up an LLC or corporation for your other business services, I suggest discussing the best way to go with your local accountant or Small Business advisor (some colleges have retired executives who help start-up businesses). You will need good tax advice; i.e., how to track your business income, notary public income, and expenses. For example, notarization services are not subject to Social Security tax; however, you may want to pay into Social Security, and you cannot deduct notarization income greater than the total service fee. Example: $65 notary signing agent fee paid to you, of which $80 would have been your fee IF you charged for services only as a notary public rather than bundling the two; for tax purposes, you cannot claim $80 paid for notarizations.

Bobbi in CT

Edited by - BobbiCT on 05/10/2013 06:56:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sandy M.

Washington
1 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  3:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to research the cost of becoming a notary. I was hoping maybe someone could confirm the steps and equipment needed to begin. These are the things I have listed so far:

National Notary Associaiton - 166.00 (complete notary Pkg)
Includes: Official Notary Seal Stamp,Bond $10,000.00/4-year, Official Journal of Notarial Acts,Notary Law Primer,$50,000.00/1-year E&O Insurance,Notary Privacy Guard.

Inkjet or Laser Printer (HP 2420 refurb.) 140.00

Scanner - (have no idea what I need)

Cell Phone -

Finger Printing Pad -

Business cards - I've been trying to research and it seems everyone in my area goes by there name, do you recommend registering a business name and everything else that goes along with that?

I have been reading on the site and others and just trying to collect as much information as I can before I make a decision about becoming a notary, so would appreciate any advice you can give me.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.