123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Does it help to understand the culture?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Ewing

California
55 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  09:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joe Ewing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No it shouldn't help unless you're allergic to curry or something.

Small talk should be kept to a minimum especally with 1st generation americans. They usually tend to regard you as someone of higher importance and will hang on your every word. This can make the signing process difficult if there is a misunderstanding, and remember the high probability that the loan officer spoke their 1st language. You have enough to do with proper signatures and dates and not whether they miss their goats.

As you age in experience you will realize that some culture traits are guranteed and having that experience can make the signing process go quicker.

Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  11:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think all the small talk will yield a flawed notarization - keep your mind on your job.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

DianaNotary

California
171 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  11:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit DianaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i agree.

"Let the other person start the cultural conversation -- that way nobody will feel uncomfortable."

http://www.DianaNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  6:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More rules on cultural IQ

The last few comments were very interesting and correct in many ways. But, there is more at stake than what was discussed in the last few posts.

(1) People who are born in America or have been living here a really long time don't like being treated differently in many cases. They might find it disconcerting to have a discussion about "their" culture which they don't even follow any more.

(2) People who have recently relocated to the United States usually cling to their culture and like it if you know something about it. They are confronted with person after person who are completely ignorant and vacuous in terms of their knowledge about their culture. Most white people in California can not even speak a complete sentence in Spanish after cohabitating with Spanish speakers for five generations!

(3)Timing is everything. If you want to advertise your extensive knowledge about Hmong dumplings, it might be a better idea to let your signer bring up the topic of Hmong culture before you insert your commentary. Let the other person start the cultural conversation -- that way nobody will feel uncomfortable.

Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  9:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not really. Treating everyone the same, no matter how much you know their culture is better than being patronizing and cute. Respectfulness , kindness and consideration is universal and gets you a lot farther. Everyone wants to be treated professionally and that means not calling attention to their cultural difference. Yeah, I can see that they are this or that ethnicity or culture, but I don't feel a need to let them know that I noticed it. Its rude and declasse, like asking someones nationality etc.
Go to Top of Page

DianaNotary

California
171 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  11:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit DianaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
understanding the culture doesn't necessarily mean you are an expert in a certain culture and could have a debate with the natives. I think understanding someone's culture is rewarding as it could help the communication process with the people that you are going to spend 1-2 hours at the signing table.
For example: If you don't know that certain cultures take off their shoes inside the house, and you arrive for a signing at a house that preserves this culture and don't take off your shoes, or at least don't ask if you should.....the signer could be offended from the start.

http://www.DianaNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

TGS1985

California
208 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  12:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit TGS1985's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If this is in regards to "ethnic culture" then I would say it can't hurt.

I don't speak fluent Spanish but if I know that I notarizing a Hispanic individual I try to throw in a few Spanish words when I can.

As long as it doesn't feel forced I feel it does make the client feel more comfortable.

Also I always ask if I need to take my shoes off at the door as some cultures (or just very clean people) prefer that you do.

It's the little things like that that will separate you from the competition.

- Tyler -
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  03:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't help but wonder if the person was referring to 'corporate culture', rather than ethnic or social culture.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  4:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What I learned is that the rules are different from culture to culture.

Hispanics regard it as a huge plus or even necessity to know at least a little Spanish even if you have no background in their culture.

Arabs hate it when you speak even one word of their language no matter who you are! "Why are you speaking Arabic?!!!"

Ethiopians are ecstatic if you know what Amharic is even if you don't know a word of it.

Kenyans will be very happy if you know what, "Mzuri Sana" means.

Arkansas-ians don't like it when you moved to their state and claim to know the state like a native!

Italian-Americans usually regard themselves as unhyphenated Italians

Asian-Americans born here usually call themselves unhyphenated Americans --- yup... just American!

In any case, I feel that the bottom line, espcially in Arkansas, is to SHOW your knowledge without making any mighty claims. If you casually mention certain little creeks and Hot Springs in the area that only natives know about, you will impress the locals. On the other hand, if you claim to know everything about the state and you don't know where Ozark highlands are, then the natives will think you are a poser -- and they will be right!

Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  8:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with you, Jeremy.

Also, nothing is more annoying than someone 'not from an area' telling the people who have lived there for years that they know all about the area, the people, etc. No they don't!

Besides, I can't imagine this topic coming up in what we do, except perhaps as 'small talk'.

Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  5:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of our notaries told me that it really matters if you understand the culture of the client. I agree to a point. I think that culture is 10% of the picture. But, I think that it is more important if you like each other and that you do a good job. What do you guys think?

I know each country where the Armenian diaspora population is located in, and what Armenians eat, and the geography of their country. This does not help Armenians like me any more (or less).

On the other hand, an Ethiopian client was very impressed that I knew what a "Samboosa" was and that I know what Amharic and Tigrean languages were! The downside was that I told them that Samboosas are from India, and that Indian merchants brought those to Africa a few hundred years ago and that the Ethiopians "Ethiopianized" these lovely dumplings by adding local spices and ingredients to the filling. I'm not sure this family was happy that I thought that their national food was anything less than indiginous to their land!

So, how much does cultural knowledge really help out here?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.