123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Weddings by notaries?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  2:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While I have no interest whatsoever in performing marriages; just imagine the revenue stream if we could grant divorces!

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

Diedra.holley

Texas
20 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  11:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Diedra.holley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did the ordained by Universal Life Church online thing years ago to do a handfasting for a close friend. Haven't used it since. I recently knocked the dust off of that cert and considered doing weddings now that I am an NP and so many sites ask that specific question.

So here is a question for you notaries out there that do weddings.

If you officiate weddings, it is a large extra cost isn't it? You have to have something suitable to wear for ceremonies and each ceremony is different. Then you have to learn how to officiate a wedding, right? Where do you get this information?

Is it really worth it and what kinds of fees are considered 'standard' for this service? What paperwork has to be done for the wedding and what needs to be done afterwards?

Ok, so more than one question.....sorry. Lol

Notary
Signing Agent
Author
Single mother

Edited by - Diedra.holley on 06/11/2012 11:28:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  01:04:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't listen to Ken. There is nothing wrong with being or marrying a notary public. The ones you have to watch out for are ONLY the notaries who sign loans!

Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  03:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A far more scary issue than weddings BY notaries is weddings TO notaries.

They have the same "on call" status as doctors - but earn peanuts.

Spouse Seekers: screen carefully - make sure your prospective mate is not a notary, also include a prohibition against the spouse to be (in a prenup?) - from obtaining a notary commission / license.

To those already married to a notary - my condolences.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  11:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We know that certain states allow notaries to do weddings. But, one notary asked me what to say when people ask,"Do you Bar-Mitzvahs?"

I told her to say, "Vy Not?"

Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  06:22:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lucille4044

When I was living in Massachusetts, I was a Notary Public, and also a Justice of the Peace. As such (JP) I could perform weddings, which I performed over 100 weddings. Now that I live in Florida and am a Notary here, I can perform weddings here. I love to do it! Tonight I am performing one at midnight. That is different than most of them I do.

Does anyone know if you need witnesses in Florida? I thought that you did need them, but someone told me today that you haven't needed them for two years. Anyone know?

Lucille

I thought they were too...but apparently they're not required by law - from a Fl.gov Q&A section

"Q: Are witnesses required to sign the marriage certificate? A: Although the marriage certificate has spaces for two witnesses to sign, witnesses are not specifically required by law. However, it is recommended that two witnessess, other than the Notary, sign the marriage certificate in the event that proof of the marriage ceremony is necessary in the future. Remember, though, you are not notarizing the signatures of the witnesses."

http://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/notary/q_and_a.pdf

Thanks for this - learn something new all the time here!!

Linda
http://www.columbiacountynotary.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

Lucille4044

Florida
18 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  3:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was living in Massachusetts, I was a Notary Public, and also a Justice of the Peace. As such (JP) I could perform weddings, which I performed over 100 weddings. Now that I live in Florida and am a Notary here, I can perform weddings here. I love to do it! Tonight I am performing one at midnight. That is different than most of them I do.

Does anyone know if you need witnesses in Florida? I thought that you did need them, but someone told me today that you haven't needed them for two years. Anyone know?

Lucille
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  10:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a quick blog entry about notaries performing weddings...

http://blog.123notary.com/?p=1891

Go to Top of Page

wayneclemons

California
46 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  9:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit wayneclemons's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In CA there is no official database of "people" that can administer vows. However there is a list of people that are allowed to officiate a wedding. The CA Department of Health has this list.

Certain counties in CA allow a Notary to issue confidential marriage licenses. The price for this far outweighs the ROI. Like the poster said below, become an ordained minister and (in CA) you will be allowed to officiate weddings.

Wayne
www.ExclusiveMobileNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

beccafla

Florida
96 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  09:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit beccafla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been providing wedding services for years and really started marketing my wedding services last February. I average around 2-3 services per month with much higher numbers in February and June. The members of the Florida NSA Network have created a wedding officiant network for the members that are available for weddings. http://floridaweddingofficiantnetwork.com/401.html

I get most of my calls for weddings from my website http://yourverobeachwedding.com/default.aspx , from my merchant circle listing and from various wedding vendor listing sites.

If you are interested in doing weddings in states that do not allow notaries to perform weddings you must be an ordained minister. You can get ordained for free through the Universal Life Church. http://www.themonastery.org/?destination=ordination Check your state laws as some states require that you be ordained by a "brick and mortar" establishment.

I love doing weddings. I get paid well for my services and receive payment in advance.

FloridasNotary.com

http://floridasnotary.com/fieldinspectorlist.aspx

Florida NSA Network - "Florida's Premier Notary Network"
Need a Mobile Closer in Florida? Ask me for a referral.
FloridaNSANetwork.com
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  10:59:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of my customers emailed me with the idea that I create a directory for wedding officiants. Hmmm. I checked, and there are a few other directories like that, but they require login to see the information.

If any of you notaries in Florida or Maine want to make some extra bucks, weddings may be a way to ride out the loan crisis. If there are any takers, I might create a page on 123notary.com to advertise notaries who do weddings in Florida and Maine.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.