123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Appraisel Acknowledgments
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1 1 person disliked this post.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2011 :  9:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Being put in the position of being the monkey in the middle isnt fun. This is why we should charge more. We have to put our face before the public- no one else does, and go through the embarrassment of all this.If they dont want to sign I tell them to attach a note,(probably end up in trash because most people cant read cursive now). I do tell them that every page needs to be signed in the package or their loan may not close and if they have issues to take it up with their loan officer and they will have 3 days to cancel etc. Most people dont remember if or what they have receive as Rene said they probably never opened it anyway. LO's are supposed to send certain things right away and many times dont. Not my problem. I tell them the packages are standard and somethings may not apply but sign and return anyway to be sure their loan closes. That is part of my job. Talk to anyone else, not me.
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  03:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That Appraisal Report Delivery Initial Disclosure contains a waiver, in the body of the document. Unfortunately, most borrowers IME have little/no recollection of any of the initial disclosures they receive on application - a lot of times they never even open the packet. If you're in their home, they can usually lay their hands on it though.

Of course, nobody should encourage a borrower to sign anything they don't want to sign, don't understand, or causes them to make a false statement. On the flip side, not being able to present the document with the facts, in a way that describes things fully, can bring the borrowers added grief & expense for no good reason. A drive-by appraisal w/out valuation on it - sounds like a streamline refi, which the L/O should've explained to the borrowers. He/she should also have KNOWN & been able to explain that they'd (most likely) received the 'Initial Disclosure' in their application pkt (mailed to them w/in 3 days of application).

It's also unfortunate that closing pkgs can be so standardized that they make no sense. Streamline loans don't always require appraisals, but the standard appraisal disclosures will still be in the pkg.

In a similar vein, there's a doc in FHA pkgs that lists several pre-disclosures (items sent after application, prior to close), & the borrower signs saying these were received. As the contract closer, I do sometimes have to poke their memories. "Did you receive a packet in the mail several days after you applied for this loan? These disclosures would've been a part of that packet."

It's a good thing there isn't a statement they have to sign saying "I not only received all this stuff, but I actually opened it and read it all."

Go to Top of Page

heathery

Texas
4 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  9:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "Appraisal Acknowledgement" has 2 boxes. One box says that the borrower received a copy of their appraisal report 3 business days prior to loan closing. And the other box says that the borrower received a copy of the Appraisal Report Delivery Disclosure as part of the initial disclosure package. Even the LO did not know which box. He just made it clear that they sign it or the loan does not close.

As a signing agent/notary where do we draw the line? I do not want to put myself at risk or the borrower. In Texas, where I am at, the borrower signs a piece of paper that says "TEXAS MORTGAGE FRAUD NOTICE" Basically if you knowingley and intentionally make a materially false or misleading written statement to obtain property or credit, including a mortgage loan, you can go to jail. Well, if you signed a piece of paper that says you had received the appraisal and you didn't would that be considered fraud? Something to think about. Or am I reading to much into this? LOL LOL

Heather Cumer
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  1:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there two possible answers on the form for the borrower to choose from? Usually (IME) it gives two options - one, that they DID receive the appraisal, or two, that they did not but that they waive the right to receive it prior to closing while reserving the right to receive it afterward.

$165 for a drive-by doesn't sound out of line to me - a full appraisal would run $350-500, just fyi.
Go to Top of Page

Les_CO

Colorado
32 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  08:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Les_CO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would suggest to the borrower that they add the word “not” to both documents initial the change, and sign the document(s). Or to sign, or not as they choose. If the LO doesn’t like it he can take it up with his client, or do his job correctly.

Go to Top of Page

heathery

Texas
4 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  06:32:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Friday I had a closing and in the closing package, there is a form called "Appraisel Acknowledgement". When I asked the borrower if they had received the appraisel, they said no. They asked me who they needed to talk to and of course I told them their lender. Well I was stuck. Do they sign this piece of paper after they just signed one regarding mortgage fraud saying they did receive the appraisel? The borrower called the lender and told him that they did not get one. I could here the lender clearly and he said "oh I am sorry, you should have gotten one." Come to find out the lender had the appraiser do a drive by and charged the borrower 165.00 to do this. The borrower told the lender that they had just signed a paper regarding false info and fraud and they did not want to sign this piece of paper since they did not receive the appraisel. Do I blame them? NO!!.. The lender wanted to talk to me, so I listened to what he said and it did not make any sense. That is was an appraisel but there was no amount on the appraisel. He said all that the appraiser did was just take pictures. By the time he was thru with me, he said "they either sign the damn piece of paper or the loan does not close." How do you get a borrower to sign something they did not receive?

Heather Cumer
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.