123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Refusal to backdate = borrower losing house?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Florida
3 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  06:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit 13601's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by notaryslife

What do 99.999% of the notaries do in this situation?

Sincerely yours,

Notary's Life

I realize 99.999% do it, but it IS criminal in most if not all states, and if I catch it being done, I have and will continue to file complaints. I filed a complaint on notary in 2006 for back-dating & altering a mortgage, then it reared its' ugly head in 2010, and I stated the document be foreclosed upon, while it had my purported notary stamp and signature I didn't sign or stamp it. It all stemmed from a request to back-date which I refused.

Ronald Gillis
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  11:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To Notarys Life...

Let hope the 99.9999% don't back date. PERIOD. And If you change dates to your notary certificate to something other than when your client appeared before you is considered fraud on your part.

Carmen
Go to Top of Page

notaryslife

California
348 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  5:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do 99.999% of the notaries do in this situation?

Sincerely yours,

Notary's Life
Go to Top of Page

Florida
3 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  07:44:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit 13601's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbelmont

With an Acknowledgment, you can always tear up the original certificate and add another one without seeing the signer again as far as I know -- so long as the date on the acknowledgment is the same as the date of the journal entry. I don't know what Florida says about that though.

Yikes, in nearly ALL states, if not all, this is called FRAUD. This is a good part of why we are in the mess we are in this country!! This type of conduct has become accepted as commonplace and acceptable - IT IS NOT! It is ILLEGAL in most, if not ALL states as you are creating fraud - fraud is a deception. Dan & Linda yes in both FL & CA forbid this, as well as most other states if not all. You are stating that this certificate, the notarization, person before you, etc., everything happened as stated, when stated, but by creating the certificate days (or however later) is FRAUD. It is no different than the "robo-signed" documents associated with fraudclosures, "it's the way we do it", "my boss told me to" and we are "surrogate signers" and what ever other spin that can be made up, bottom line - CRIMINAL. Look @ NV leading the way in breaking this open, and other states will hopefully follow. When (not IF) this type of behavior is discovered, people will go to jail. Not worth it, period.

Edited by - 13601 on 12/11/2011 07:45:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

kronhead

5 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  10:07:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit kronhead's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

In FL, any change to the cert would require a revisit to the signer - so the original cert would have the original date and the second one would have the later date. Our manual is very specific about after the fact corrections - it just can't be done without seeing the signers again - and obviously, backdating is out. If only one date is showing up someone's in trouble.

CA is the same about no changes, revisits, and no backdating - and I am not sure I have ever had a revisit - but wouldn't the original cert get thrown away? Or would it get marked in some way to say it is not valid, but left with the document? I think the CA regs simply say no changes, and no backdating - nothing about handling the invalid cert.

Thanks
Dan

Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  12:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kronhead

Sorry if this goes through twice ...

quote:
Originally posted by LindaH

I can just hear the borrower on the witness stand explaining that yeah, we signed but the notary had to come back a second time a few days later because there were mistakes; "Oh, so you signed twice?" "Yes".."Interesting...the acknowledgement only shows the one date..

Linda - not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying that on a re-signing of a doc, the ack should have TWO dates? Never heard or seen that ...

I am in CA.
Dan

Yeah, that was pretty muddy wasn't it?

In FL, any change to the cert would require a revisit to the signer - so the original cert would have the original date and the second one would have the later date. Our manual is very specific about after the fact corrections - it just can't be done without seeing the signers again - and obviously, backdating is out. If only one date is showing up someone's in trouble.

Linda
http://www.columbiacountynotary.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

kronhead

5 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  06:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit kronhead's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry if this goes through twice ...

quote:
Originally posted by LindaH

I can just hear the borrower on the witness stand explaining that yeah, we signed but the notary had to come back a second time a few days later because there were mistakes; "Oh, so you signed twice?" "Yes".."Interesting...the acknowledgement only shows the one date..

Linda - not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying that on a re-signing of a doc, the ack should have TWO dates? Never heard or seen that ...

I am in CA.
Dan

Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  07:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think we have to be careful here to NOT let the "consequences" of following our state's law dictate our course of action. As Linda mentioned prison food is not good. If you made a mistake, that is what your E&O coverage is for. In 10+ years of doing this, I have never been in a courtroom; nor do I intend to. This thread should serve as a strong reminder that we are indeed public officials; with responsibility for our actions. In other words: Double check what you do - be sure it is flawless. Take the time (a matter of minutes in most cases) to avoid errors. Many of the transactions are way over the general E&O coverage; as the Police say at "roll call" - "Let's be careful out there".

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  03:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PlsSign

The AZ Notary Reference Manual states:

If any part of the notarial certificate is incorrect, the notary public should either cross out and initial the incorrect words with ink or cross out the entire wording and type or write in the correct wording. Do not attempt to erase or use correction fluid or tape.
All changes should be initialed.

So it seems, in AZ this notary could have just corrected the Ack.

But does your manual say anything about after-the-fact corrections? Do "future" changes/corrections have to be made in the presence of the signers? Can you provide amended/corrected certificates without revisiting the signers?

I read that portion of your manual as applying to changes made prior to notarization - maybe I'm reading it incorrectly but that's how I interpret that. WE're allowed the same latitude here - if any portion of the certificate is incorrect we have to correct it prior to notarization - however, after the fact, no changes can be made to anything.

Linda
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell
Go to Top of Page

PlsSign

Arizona
24 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  6:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The AZ Notary Reference Manual states:

If any part of the notarial certificate is incorrect, the notary public should either cross out and initial the incorrect words with ink or cross out the entire wording and type or write in the correct wording. Do not attempt to erase or use correction fluid or tape.
All changes should be initialed.

So it seems, in AZ this notary could have just corrected the Ack.
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  12:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose you can do whatever you want - but do you really want to skirt the law like that? I can just hear the borrower on the witness stand explaining that yeah, we signed but the notary had to come back a second time a few days later because there were mistakes; "Oh, so you signed twice?" "Yes".."Interesting...the acknowledgement only shows the one date..

Bye bye notary.....I'll follow my laws, thank you - I hear prison food is nothing to rave about.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  11:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With an Acknowledgment, you can always tear up the original certificate and add another one without seeing the signer again as far as I know -- so long as the date on the acknowledgment is the same as the date of the journal entry. I don't know what Florida says about that though.

Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  03:40:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PlsSign

So in FL an ack. can not be corrected even if it was initially executed with wrong date? So the initial ack. would be null and void? What a mess.

Just curious. I always trust yours (and the late PAW's) advise.

I got the impression this took place in CA. Have never run into it here in AZ. Knock on wood.

Yes - per our manual, page 29. http://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/notary/ref_manual23-40.pdf

"Corrections

When necessary to correct information already printed in the notarial certificate, i.e., the date, the name of the person whose signature is being notarized, do not use correction fluid. Simply mark through the incorrect information and make the change before you complete the notarization. You should probably initial that change, also. Once you “complete” the notarization and return it to the document signer, you may not amend your certificate. For instance, if you forgot to state the type of identification or affix your seal and the document is returned to you on a later date by the receiving party, you may not correct your error. The document will require re-notarization, including the presence of the document signer."

Linda
Go to Top of Page

PlsSign

Arizona
24 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  7:14:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

So in FL an ack. can not be corrected even if it was initially executed with wrong date? So the initial ack. would be null and void? What a mess.

Just curious. I always trust yours (and the late PAW's) advise.

I got the impression this took place in CA. Have never run into it here in AZ. Knock on wood.

Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  2:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correction of the cert would not be allowed in FL no matter whose fault it is - it would require another visit to the borrowers/signers and the ack would have to bear the date of the second notarization.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  2:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm reading this interesting post on NR's forum.
I'm going to retell the story in my words.

A notary goes to a closing, and the instructions say not to change any docs without calling the title or signing company. The notary changes the DATES on the purchase documents without calling in. However, she FORGETS to change the date on the notary certificate wording on the MORTGAGE (oops) to the correct date.

The borrower signs on the actual date of the signing, but the notary certificate wording has the previous date.

The notary goes on vacation, refuses to fix the issue. The borrower might lose their house because the loan won't fund.

It is not backdating for the notary to change the date on the certification to the actual date the document was notarized. Actually, what happened was that the notary backdated BY MISTAKE and won't fix the dates to reflect the actual date of the signing.

What a crazy story!!!!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.