123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Legal Issues
 Travel fee maximums state by state
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shannon

California
360 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  09:28:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shannon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LindaH
That's also why I don't aggresively market myself for general notary work - it turns out to be all phone call and no results.

I find that while many "general" mobile notary calls balk at the $25 minimum trip, it weeds out the hagglers and avoids clients that are not serious. As for results, I'm happy to get those calls (call it "gas" money). Those calls seem to come in even when loan signing is slow. Often, one or two mobile notary calls pay my days expenses making that loan signing call "all gravy"

"A Quick Note"
www.aquicknote.net
Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/aquicknote
Like me on Facebook:
http://goo.gl/WWpGP
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  08:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also to be considered: The basic state fee.

When, for example, 6 notarizations are requested, at the Florida rate of $10 per; the base is $60.

In New York the same 6 @ 2$ each = 12$.

Thus a Florida notary can have a much lower "travel fee" compared to a New York notary.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  05:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For general notary work, I do not require any type of 'pre-payment' for services. I do not even offer the suggestion of paying by PayPal or any online method. Chances are, the person I'm dealing with doesn't even have internet access, much less a PayPal or Google account.

I do explain, in explicit detail, the costs involved with what they are asking to be done. This includes a modest travel fee ($10 for in-town addresses) as well as any other fees that may be necessary. I also tell them that the fee being quoted is an estimate; the actual fee to be determined by examination of the documents or tasks upon arrival at the signing site.

How payment is made and costs, is completely dependent on many circumstances, such as location. Ken is in a large, metropolitan area and I am in a very small "elder" town. Things are just done differently in different places. Just be sure to set the customer's expectations correctly, and you shouldn't have any problems getting paid the amount you want. Keep you fees 'in line' with other professional service organizations and you shouldn't have an issue with things like a travel fee or copy costs.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  6:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa T.

Any customer I sense will be a problem, I require cash up front before notarizing or refer them to the UPS Store in their area.

A good policy. I perhaps take it a step further. If they are unhappy the first call I require payment to my PayPal account prior to leaving my home, when there is a "follow up" call - accepting my fee. To me this indicates the potential of someone continuing to seek a lower fee, and canceling while I am in route. This happened to me a few times prior to requesting the "upfront" PayPal. A few ask why a prepay is necessary. I answer honestly - I tell that that mobile notaries are subject to both "prank" (wild goose chase) callers and clients who continue to seek a better price after accepting an agreement and cancel while I am in route if, while I am traveling to them; they find a lower price. The vast majority agree to prepay on my web site. It is probably that they could not find anyone else in the middle of the night; or willing to go out in very bad weather; or to an especially remote location. Sure, I lose a few - but the policy eliminates insincere callers.

Kenneth A Edelstein

Edited by - edelske on 12/29/2010 8:30:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  5:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
In three years as a Notary, I've only had one person complain about paying for a house call. All others that want/need a house or office call have no qualms about paying a travel fee.

I do offer callers the option of meeting me at the Starbucks or other fast food eatery where I live. If they don't want to meet at Starbucks, want a house call and don't want to pay for a house call, I then sense a train wreck ahead. Any customer I sense will be a problem, I require cash up front before notarizing or refer them to the UPS Store in their area.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  2:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its very psychological. The ones who really want to get the job done are usually willing to pay a high fee. The one's who are the complaining types will complain no matter how small your travel fee is. Availability and reliability are key words here. If you are available exactly when they need you, and seem like a reliable type, that doubles your value right there.

Go to Top of Page

909notary

California
15 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  12:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit 909notary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My minimum fee is $20 to travel locally (within 10 miles of my office). The first question I ask a caller is "what city are we traveling to?" I then quote them the "travel fee" and "$10 per signature, per document" and I give them a "estimated total" based on the information they provide me.

While some callers are outraged that I would charge them $20 to travel 8 miles to their home some are very happy to pay it because it is convenient to them.

I recently quoted an attorney $150 "travel fee" to travel 54 one-way to a jail he was happy to pay the fee.

I sleep very well at night.

Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  3:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sunday at 7AM with a 5AM wakeup. It's cold here - half an hour for car to warm up.
But, that's the difference between New York and other areas.

When I don't want an assignment I either decline, or price it what it is worth TO ME TO DO.

I don't like to get up at 5AM on Sunday, and they are paying for my "awake" time with NO possibility of other callers. Think of it as 50$ per HOUR for the hours 5AM to 10AM (when there "might" be an additional assignment). BTW: 10AM is when I "like" to wake up on a Sunday morning - one of my few "sleep in" days - if you want to take THAT away from me it's gonna cost you.

Thus you can add to the prior posts list of fees, an additional "lost sleep" fee. As I said, as long as it's mutually acceptable......

If you saw their "apartment" you would understand that their $250 is your 50 CENTS.
There is nothing morally wrong with charging the MEGA rich more than charging the poor - Doctors and Lawyers have been doing that forever.

I also do volunteer work at senior centers for free, it averages out.

Kenneth A Edelstein

Edited by - edelske on 12/26/2010 5:31:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  2:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I quoted $250 and it was paid to my PayPal account 5 minutes later. "

Shows the differences in area; first off I don't know how I'd bring myself to charge anyone $250 for a general notarization - that to me is just an outrageous amount. I can understand charging a premium for a Sunday, but $250? Sorry Ken, but that sounds awful high to me. But hey, if they pay it...

And even if I *could* bring myself to charge like that brings me to my second point about area - people down here don't want to pay $25.00 to go to them, never mind $250.00. Soon as I tell them the fee is $10 per notarization and a small travel fee they back out.

That's also why I don't aggresively market myself for general notary work - it turns out to be all phone call and no results.

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  2:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Travel fee, Professional attire (costume) fee, cell phone usage fee, notary fee, scheduling fee, parking fee, stair climbing fee, hostile environment fee (kids, dogs, bad lighting), internet access fee, cost of advertising (as added when you buy a new car) fee, late or early time of day fee, bad weather fee, etc. etc., the possible list of different fees is endless.
THE KEY POINT:
I make it a point to have mutual agreement to the total fee prior to my departure. Of course that fee is based on the "what has to be done" as described by the client. It's also (my fee) subject to revision if the "what has to be done" changes ("I also need 17 copies notarized") when I arrive. What a mobile notary should NEVER do is plan to "bait and switch" with a surprise of previously unmentioned fees.
I am on very good terms with the NY County Clerk's office. They know I fill in each required component of the notarization every time. I asked about "fees" and their response was. "As long as it's mutually agreed upon PRIOR to your arrival - the issue is between you and your client". "What we don't want is complaints about surprises". Just this morning 12/26 I had a 7AM "kiddie fly with one parent" job on the other side of town. Today is a Sunday. I quoted $250 and it was paid to my PayPal account 5 minutes later. The job was booked on Christmas Day (the day prior to the assignment). I arrived (after waking up at 5AM) 15 minutes early to the delight of my client who had to rush to the airport to get out of town prior to a snowstorm. High fee, YES, reasonable due to circumstances, YES; agreed to (and paid) in advance also YES. That is an example of a "time of day" surcharge and is unrelated to the mileage involved. Key point remains: If the "deal" is reasonable to BOTH of us; it's nobody else's concern. To document the arrangement I have my client put the details in the PayPal payment "notes to merchant" documenting the address, date, time of day, and work to be performed. Why PayPal? This notary is not getting up and out at 5AM on a "wild goose chase". No - not me.

Kenneth A Edelstein

Edited by - edelske on 12/26/2010 5:28:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

DianaNotary

California
171 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  10:33:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit DianaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since some states have restrictions on the travel fees, I am just wondering if there are any restrictions on being reimbursed for parking fees, toll fees or waiting time? I believe that those fees are relevant to the signing and should be invoiced to the client….

http://www.DianaNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  6:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm fortunate to have a Starbucks and several fast food places within practically an arms reach from my home. I offer callers two options: I can travel to them and they pay a travel fee or they can meet me at Starbucks on the corner. Many will meet me at Starbucks and because Starbucks is inside a supermarket which opens at 5:30am and closes at Midnight, I can notarize very early or much later in the evening - safely. I have many repeat customers because of this and they'll call me rather than go to the UPS Store.

I refer people to the UPS Store if the meeting time they need is not possible for me. And sometimes when I suggest they go to the UPS Store, they want to know what time I can meet with them.
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  05:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shannon - I finally added a blurb to my website making it very clear, I am MOBILE and charge a travel fee - and I included the suggestion to call the local UPS Store (I give their phone, address & map link). We're buddies, local UPS and I.

Still I get calls from 'bargain hunters' as you put it - want you NOW, and NOW is often a Sunday night, but don't want to PAY for it. Amazing how fast an 'emergency' becomes something that can wait until the UPS Store opens in the morning.

I have zero interest in attracting such business, and try to stick to doing closings.
Go to Top of Page

Shannon

California
360 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  5:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shannon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thankfully CA has no mandate...because THAT is where the money is. If notaries could only earn based upon signatures, there would be far fewer professional notaries and service would be non-existent.

I have had folks (bargain hunters) gag at my minimum trip charge. But, I refer them to their local UPS store where they must take their documents in and where "service" means little if anything. I always advise such clients to call ahead as most UPS/Mailbox stores say they have a notary on duty but rarely do. Yes, you truly do get what you pay for.

"A Quick Note"
www.aquicknote.net
Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/aquicknote
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  9:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
CA has no mandate on travel fees but if they're outrageous no one will pay them.
Go to Top of Page

FlaNotary

Florida
59 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  3:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit FlaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Florida law is silent on the matter. Even our handbook doesn't mention travel fees, although it does state: "If you charge fees for other services not directly related to your notary services, you should
provide your customer with an itemized list of charges beforehand." (p. 9, Governor's Ref. Manual for Notaries, 2001 ed.) The handbook also states on p. 50 that if you are asked to travel, you may want to "charge your customary fee for the notarization and a small fee for travel expense".

However, it is up to the notary to decide what to charge for travel, keeping in mind that, with over 420,000 notaries in Florida, many people have a notary within walking distance.

Robert T. Koehler
Notary Public of the State of Florida
State-Approved Official Notary Educator

Commissioner of Deeds in the Bahamas and New Hampshire
Certified Loan Signing Agent
AAWO-Accredited Wedding Officiant

Weddings: www.NotaryWeddings.com
Classes: www.NotaryAcademy.org

Nothing in the foregoing post is to be construed as legal advice. I am not an
attorney licensed to practice law in any state and can not give legal advice or
accept fees for legal advice.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  3:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As you may have heard, there are several states that have restrictions on travel fees. The travel fee restrictions make it hard for a mobile notary to make a living. The states in question are: AZ, CT, ID, MD, NH, NV, NC, NM, RI, UT

Please be advised, the information we are publishing below may very well be outdated, but at least gives you some idea of what to expect.

Arizona only allows a notary to charge 50 cents per mile travel fee.
Idaho allows the notary to charge what their actual expenses are
New Hampshire allows 20 cents per mile to swear in witnesses for depositions
Maryland allows $5 plus 31 cents per mile
Nevada allows $10 per hour from 6am to 7pm and $25 all other hours.
New Mexico allows 30 cents per mile
North Carolina doesn't allow any travel fee
Rhode Island allows 10 cents per mile travel fee
Utah allows the federal mileage rate (currently 50 cents )

Tags:
Arizona travel fee, Connecticut travel fee, Idaho travel fee, New Hampshire travel fee, Maryland travel fee, Nevada travel fee, New Mexico travel fee, North Carolina travel fee, Rhode Island travel fee, Utah travel fee.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.