123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Notary Tips
 Should you always use legal paper for edocs?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
1 -1 2 people liked this post.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

PhilWilsonNotary

Washington
7 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  12:54:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit PhilWilsonNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by egw91145

I have an HP4230tn dual tray printer, a real workhorse. I've NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. Actually I will swear by HP machines. I have three printers and an HP fax.

EGW

I 2nd the vote on the HP LaserJet 2430tn. It's dual tray. And you can find re-filled toner cartridges on Amazon for around $25 with shipping. It can get a little slow at times, but it usually helps if the computer you're sending it from is fast- I run into this every once in awhile when sending docs from my little Acer netbook.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

perfectnotary

3 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  11:23:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an old HP laserjet 4000 that has only one paper tray drawer. But I use the bypass tray as my second tray and it works perfectly. The printouts switches back and forth between the two trays for legal/letter when I select the print option to 'select paper size by pdf document".
Go to Top of Page

dlove

Missouri
14 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  12:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For anyone using a single tray printer: It is well worth the cost to upgrade to dual tray. Not only do your packages print properly, but the cost of legal over letter will pay for the extra tray in short order. I buy letter sz. for $3.00 a ream. Legal @ WalMart is around $7.00, which is about as cheap as your going to find it. So, if you are printing very many packages, it does'nt take long to eat up the approx. $160.00 it costs for the tray. Not to mention D.O.T.'s are not supposed to be on legal, so most of the title co.s are cutting them down, so I'm sure they prefer to skip that extra step. BTW, Brother has a dual tray online for about $350.00, and Office Depot will give $50.00 trade in on any old printer, even if it does not work.

David G. Love
Go to Top of Page

jocelynj

Utah
30 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  7:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to know more about anyone who has bought a dual tray. I bought one from Staples the last time I needed a printer, and there was only one to choose from that was a dual tray, and they tray itself was $199. In all, the whole thing was going to cost me $450 plus taxes and I would probably buy insurance for it, as well, yet I was able to get a single tray on sale for $60. I would really a dual tray, though.

Jocelyn Waters
Go to Top of Page

Texas
20 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  09:19:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit 21188's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you all so much for sharing in this post. I just ordered an additional tray for my laser printer today. I definitely understand the money and time saving value of using a dual tray system. More importantly when I take on a signing assignment I realize that I have both a morale and ethical responsibility to make sure that the documents are printed correctly.

On another note. I did a refi closing for Title Source yesterday. It was a Quicken Loan. I had to log into a secure area of Quicken to download the documents. The documents came as three different attachments.

The first attachment included all of the loan documents both letter and legal size (for dual tray printing).

The second attachment included all of the documents that needed to be printed on legal size paper.
The third attachment included all of the documents that needed to be printed on letter size paper.

The second and third attachments were of course, for those of us with single tray printers.

At any rate, I was truly grateful to the Quicken office for separating the documents by printing size, but what really amazed me, was that out of that entire loan packet, there were only 12 pages that needed to be printed on legal sized paper. The additional 70+ pages were printed on letter size paper.

In the past I have been printing everything on legal paper. So far none of the closing companies have said anything to me about it. However, I now realize that it is both an expensive and unprofessional practice.
Go to Top of Page

notaryslife

California
348 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  08:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I once called about the legal size docs for the deed because I knew they are recorded on letter. Apparently some companies do cut them. Apparently they have problems with notaries printing on different paper sizes and just farm out the work wanting it on all legal size paper.

This has been an issue for me because I have a single tray printer. Printing docs has been a pain in the rear when these agencies include legal and letter in a PDF, I actually have to go through and map the file so I can manually change trays for letter/legal. I'd like the docs to be all on letter size to be quite frank do do reduce them for the borrower's copy from legal to letter to save on expenses. Borrowers prefer letter size because it's easier to store away in their filing systems I've heard.

Legal size paper is very expensive compared to letter size so I try to reduce my use of it whenever I'm able. I've been finding more companies want the entire PDF printed out on legal size.

Sincerely yours,

Notary's Life
Go to Top of Page

notaryslife

California
348 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  08:25:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please tell me what version of adobe you have that has a tab to sort paper sizes? I have an older version of Adobe Profssional I use. I presume you have Adobe Professional and that you're not referring to a simple Adobe Reader version of the free version of thesoftware.

quote:
Originally posted by esnotary

I'm finding that most companies now state that we must never burn a disc or email copies to clients. I have a single tray printer, and I just use the pages tab on Adobe to sort the letter and legal size pages so I can print them on the correct size paper. It may take a few more minutes of my time, but legal size paper is more expensive and I like my packages to go back to title absolutely perfect so it's worth it for my reputation with them! I've been doing loan signings for 10 years and taking the extra time to make things right really pays off in the long run.

Sincerely yours,

Notary's Life
Go to Top of Page

notarystat

California
1 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  5:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit notarystat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know this is kind of an old topic, but these days I find that many companies will require you to print the note and DOT on letter, if you have to print everything else on legal.

Terrie, the TC really should have known whether the DOT should have been on legal and really could have cut the darn thing down to size before they sent them to record. That's what I had to do in a pinch when I received docs on legal that were formatted for letter. Having worked at an escrow company I can safely say that Title and Escrow Officers and their assistants know better, and any TO or EO worth his or her salt would have done it. That TO (or assistant) was either lazy or inexperienced and tried to pawn the error off on you.

I love my signing company clients, but really, a $40 penalty, when they only share half the fee with the notary? Shame on them.

I agree that any notary should get a dual tray laser printer, which are SO cheap these days. My Brother cost me less than $200 and paid for itself in two signings. (Just don't EVER buy the toner from an office supply store. I buy from www.4inkjets.com for a fraction of the cost!)

Elizabeth M. Hewes
Notary Public
www.notarystat.com
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  8:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by esnotary

I'm finding that most companies now state that we must never burn a disc or email copies to clients. I have a single tray printer, and I just use the pages tab on Adobe to sort the letter and legal size pages so I can print them on the correct size paper. It may take a few more minutes of my time, but legal size paper is more expensive and I like my packages to go back to title absolutely perfect so it's worth it for my reputation with them! I've been doing loan signings for 10 years and taking the extra time to make things right really pays off in the long run.

Take care with your print methodology. By definition you are not returning the docs in the sequence sent to you. Some clients are adamant that the docs be returned in the sequence sent as that facilitates their processing. Few will gripe, but some will.....

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  09:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
only when and if it is sent to me that way. I cant help how they scan and send. My printers will auto select and print how it is sent.
Go to Top of Page

mgb1966

Wisconsin
47 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  09:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the point you have to keep in mind is that you should never be the first entity in the document process to break document security. Most lenders will upload their documents using some form of secure transmission, ideally a password protected website that the intended recipient can access and print from. If the NSA prints from the site there is no problem. The problem arises when you have a document chain of several levels, the ultimate being lender -> title company -> signing service -> NSA. Some signing services will image the documents and attach the documents to an email to the NSA. They have broken document security by doing this, many times without the lender's knowledge. In this case, you could make an argument that the documents were already insecure when you received them and an email to the borrower containing the documents did not break the document security, since they were received that way by you. The problem with that is that the lenders, either through questionaires or phone calls, will follow up on the closing process with the borrower and will ask questions about the NSA's performance. If they find out that the borrower received documents in a non-secured delivery, they may hold the NSA responsible for the break in document security and the NSA may lose a customer in the process. The only time I email documents is on "faxbacks". I scan and email the requested signed documents using a PDF creation software. I use Nuance paperport which came with my scanner. It allows you to password protect the email, so it can not be viewed/printed without the recipient entering the password. It can be a simple password such as the zip code of the property. I send the password hint by separate email to the company, so that they can open it without difficulty. This may seem a bit anal/compulsive to some, but the privacy policies of the lender and title company make assurances to the borrower and anyone they use in the process has to comply.
Go to Top of Page

esnotary

California
125 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  09:15:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit esnotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Venita Peyton

North Carolina
10 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  10:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Venita Peyton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Emailing is certainly interesting, however, I'm concerned. My edocs arrive as a secured document. If I email to the client, that means I have to save and then forward, which removes the security. Who bears the liability, then, when the security is compromised? Remember how confidential some of this material is?
quote:
Originally posted by apaloosa

I use a Konica pagepro 5650EN dual tray so never have a problem.
You can ask the borrower when you call to confirm the appointment if they mind if you e mail their set of docs to them or you can offer to put them on a CD for them. That way you have cut your printing costs dramatically.
You might want to check with the signing or escrow before you forward the docs though.
The suggestion of burning them to a CD was given me by an escrow company. They could care less how the customer receives a copy as long as they do. But again this was just on escrow company.

Apaloosa

Venita Peyton
Go to Top of Page

apaloosa

54 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  7:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit apaloosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use a Konica pagepro 5650EN dual tray so never have a problem.
You can ask the borrower when you call to confirm the appointment if they mind if you e mail their set of docs to them or you can offer to put them on a CD for them. That way you have cut your printing costs dramatically.
You might want to check with the signing or escrow before you forward the docs though.
The suggestion of burning them to a CD was given me by an escrow company. They could care less how the customer receives a copy as long as they do. But again this was just on escrow company.

Apaloosa
Go to Top of Page

wayneclemons

California
46 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  10:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit wayneclemons's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...or you could just learn how to sort the legal/letter pages in Adobe and print that way

Wayne
www.ExclusiveMobileNotary.com

www.FaceBook.com/ExclusiveMobileNotary

www.Twitter.com/ExclusiveNotary
Go to Top of Page

D Bozick

California
17 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  10:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Brother single tray laser printer that can accommodate letter or legal. At some point during the initial call, and once I feel that I've secured the job, I'll ask, 'Would it be all right if I returned everything to you on legal?' I've yet to have anyone say no.
Go to Top of Page

Florida
21 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2011 :  9:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a three tray printer so I let the title company decide what docs size they want. Lately I've been getting 10 1/4 x 15 which my printer can't understand; I over=ride it and print 8 1/2 x 11 and/or my print chooses 8 1/4 x 14

Charblue
Go to Top of Page

mgb1966

Wisconsin
47 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  2:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
In Illinois the penalty is approximatley 100%. Cost to Recorder of Deeds is not the issue; the goal is to make all recorded Deeds and Mortgages letter size.

I wasn't aware of that. I occassionly do IL docs. The client many times makes the call as to printing. Some will not accept the 4 percent reduction that Adobe does to create margin space on the documents due to a violation of font size requirements of certain states. Wisconsin has margin space requirements and in many cases will reject a document for insufficient margins. I have seen documents come through with very little margin space due to following the print instructions of the client. I know that signature service companies require all documents be printed in legal as their own requirement rather than a requirement of the settlement company. The best rule to follow is to examine the settlement company directions if they are in the package. If they conflict with the signature service then call the signature service and let them know that the printing instructions might violate the local recording rules. The best time to clear it up is before the signing takes place IMHO.
Go to Top of Page

egw91145

Florida
62 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  1:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an HP4230tn dual tray printer, a real workhorse. I've NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. Actually I will swear by HP machines. I have three printers and an HP fax.

EGW
Go to Top of Page

Saul

Illinois
46 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  1:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Illinois the penalty is approximatley 100%. Cost to Recorder of Deeds is not the issue; the goal is to make all recorded Deeds and Mortgages letter size.
quote:
Originally posted by PWinFL

quote:
Originally posted by LindaH

All due respect, Terrie, but this was not your cost to absorb and I hope you contested it and got your money. You are not responsible to pay for TC errors. If they formatted the DOT to legal or did not cut the pages down to recordable size, that's not your problem - it's theirs.

There is nothing in Terrie's post to indicate that the documents were formatted for legal size only. Just that Terrie printed everything on legal size. If the DOT was properly formed (letter size) in the file, then it most definitely is the signing agent's problem. I do think that a penalty of $40 is excessive since it probably only cost the TC an extra 10 or 20 cents per page. If the TC formatted the file incorrectly, then I agree with every thing you said.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com

Saul
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  06:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LindaH

All due respect, Terrie, but this was not your cost to absorb and I hope you contested it and got your money. You are not responsible to pay for TC errors. If they formatted the DOT to legal or did not cut the pages down to recordable size, that's not your problem - it's theirs.

There is nothing in Terrie's post to indicate that the documents were formatted for legal size only. Just that Terrie printed everything on legal size. If the DOT was properly formed (letter size) in the file, then it most definitely is the signing agent's problem. I do think that a penalty of $40 is excessive since it probably only cost the TC an extra 10 or 20 cents per page. If the TC formatted the file incorrectly, then I agree with every thing you said.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  02:49:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TerrieG

Back to Jeremy's original post...
I used all legal on one particular job, and had to reduce my fee to the signing company by $40 [major OUCH] because the County Clerk penalized the Title Company for sumitting the DOT on legal.

That was a hard-learned lesson, and I now have a dual tray printer.

Terrie
www.NotarySanRafael.com

Terrie Gillett
Notary San Rafael

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell
Go to Top of Page

akarasik

New Jersey
11 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  2:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Invest in a good dual tray printer. You will save a fortune over the long haul.
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  07:23:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a cheepskate. Letter costs less than legal. Over the long haul the dual bin printer saves money. On a busy day with 3 or 4 signings (and considering bank and borrower copies) - the inclusion of letter size lowers the weight of what you have to schlep around.

For you "Tree Huggers" - and it saves a branch now and then....

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

TerrieG

California
9 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  08:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit TerrieG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back to Jeremy's original post...
I used all legal on one particular job, and had to reduce my fee to the signing company by $40 [major OUCH] because the County Clerk penalized the Title Company for sumitting the DOT on legal.

That was a hard-learned lesson, and I now have a dual tray printer.

Terrie
www.NotarySanRafael.com

Terrie Gillett
Notary San Rafael
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  03:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some notaries have dual tray laser printers, while some have single tray. Is it bad to use all legal size paper for printing loan documents while only some of the documents need to be on legal sized paper? Has anyone gotten complaints for using the wrong sized paper?

Additional reading about legal sized paper:
http://www.123notary.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3576

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.