123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Other
 Notary Sending own ID
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  6:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dannotary

I agreewith Lita & Lisa. I dont give out my DL copy or fill out its #'s etc when a certain lender asks for it. Too much ID theft esp in Ca. It is personal, non public information. I will give out a copy of the commission only.

Nice policy Dan,
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I'm adopting your policy.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  10:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agreewith Lita & Lisa. I dont give out my DL copy or fill out its #'s etc when a certain lender asks for it. Too much ID theft esp in Ca. It is personal, non public information. I will give out a copy of the commission only.
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  8:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renee

I'm 52 - there, now everyone knows.

Hold on young lady, remember that when in the forum you are "under oath". I would ask for proof prior to (based on the photo) serving you a beer.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  3:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
In reference to the prior topic of notaries that hand off signings to other notaries - I have two signings scheduled for tomorrow. The notary instructions from each company say this, and I quote:

Company #1 "You are not permitted to reassign your closing to another notary."

Company #2 "This assignment may NOT be subcontracted."

Excellent rule to have and I totally agree. A professional company has such a rule in place.

Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  9:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes Vince, I know there are notaries that own signing service companies. Tony Negrete is one of them. However, I don't believe that's what Renee was referring to in her post regarding notaries who hand off signings to other notaries. And it's not what I meant with regards to not taking signings from notaries.
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  7:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa T.

I wouldn't take a signing from another notary. They'd have to pass on the hiring entities info and I'd deal directly with that entity. Any notary taking a signing directly from another notary without dealing directly with the company is foolish, IMHO.

Many of the "signing services" are simply notaries with the right contacts. In essence they are "the company" that you may or may not be doing business with.

I recall seeing something a couple of years ago about a number of people that were listed as members of some notary sites - that were not actual notaries. So, who knows....
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  11:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't take a signing from another notary. They'd have to pass on the hiring entities info and I'd deal directly with that entity. Any notary taking a signing directly from another notary without dealing directly with the company is foolish, IMHO.

Likewise, when a company contracts with notary Jane Jones and the docs are returned with notary Mary Smiths signature and seal - neither Jane nor Mary should be paid. If I were that company, I'd make it my business and priority to know that a notary contracted with is the notary who completes the job. If Jane has an emergency, she should give the job back and let said entity directly contract with Mary, and that should be the company's policy - and if it ain't, then the company is foolish IMHO.

Wow, sidebar [newsflash]: The Dodgers owners going through a divorce, wife says she needs $1 million per month to live on. If I could get $1 million one time, I'd be set for life! LOL!
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  02:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, Lisa - how about an NSA who simply hands off signings to someone else who may/may not even be a notary? Who would know, and HOW would they know? One person is contracted - another person shows up, either using the first person's stamp & forging the signature, or simply saying "I'll complete the notarizations later" (as many NSA's profess to doing).

IMO, showing my D/L to a client via a redacted copy is no big deal, and you don't mind showing the original to someone - I'm not seeing the significant debate between the two? All I'm giving my client (via my redacted D/L) that is not already in my marketing profiles all over the internet is my age, and that just doesn't concern me at all. I'm 52 - there, now everyone knows.

I'm not sure what you mean with regard to social networking. Regardless, I'm saying I have no issues with the practice, and offered my own opinions & my reasoning to them.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  1:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
<<<Those of us who would never imagine fraudulently representing themselves sometimes think NOBODY would or does, and I believe such things happen more often than we imagine and in more ways than we'd ever dream up.>>>

Hmmmmm, I find it quite a stretch that an imposter would have your cell # to receive the call from a customer or hiring entity; log on to your email to get a confirmation so they know where the client is located; have access to your seal and journal, if Michigan requires such, which should be in a locked case; sign your name exactly on notary certs as it is on file with your SOS. That's a little "out there" if you ask me.

<<<...but you have NO means of confirming that "Renee A Kovacs" is the same person standing in front of you, or the same person that goes out to meet your client.>>>

Showing one's ID to the client whose signature one is notarizing solves this - I have no problem with that. Client can inform TC that they saw the ID and that's good enough.

<<<My name & address are already all over the Internet (as is my photo).>>>

Not all of us are on the social networking sites and I've never put my photo on any site, including notary directories.

Edited by - Lisa T. on 03/27/2010 1:02:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  03:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have no qualms at all with providing a redacted copy of my D/L - in fact, I actually endorse the whole idea. The D/L is the only means of tying my notary commission & my name to ME. It is the only available means for anyone to reasonably verify that I am who I say I am.

Yes, you can look my NAME up on the SOS site & confirm that "Renee A Kovacs" is indeed a notary public, but you have NO means of confirming that "Renee A Kovacs" is the same person standing in front of you, or the same person that goes out to meet your client.

Those of us who would never imagine fraudulently representing themselves sometimes think NOBODY would or does, and I believe such things happen more often than we imagine and in more ways than we'd ever dream up.

Anything to throw a cog in that wheel, I am happy to play along with. My name & address are already all over the Internet (as is my photo); my age doesn't concern me in the least and is an integral part of my physical description.

IMO, the practice has to do with this, and IMO there exists no age/race/gender 'quota' in selecting independent contractors for signing services.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  6:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Earlier this week I was called by a law professor at a university school of law. She is selling her home back East and needed six documents notarized (the signature). I quoted her my fee plus travel and she said that was fine. She also said the TC needs a copy of my notary certificate and driver's license. I told her I would provide a copy of the certificate but would not provide a copy of the driver's license - that identity theft is rampant and to verify my notary status, the TC could call the county clerk where my oath was given and bond filed, which would be San Bernardino county.

She said she needed to make sure it was okay with the TC and would call me back. She called me back to say she couldn't reach the TC but come anyway. I met the law professor in her office, notarized her signatures and she wrote me a check. I do carry a state ID card in my notary case and showed it to her. She looked at it, smiled and handed it back to me. This way she knows I have nothing to hide and do have ID.

I told her that I know that TCs can be picky and to call me if there are any issues with my not providing a copy of my ID. She said okay. So far, no one has called me back so I'm assuming that the TC back East has verified my commission with San Bernardino county and all is well.

Stand your ground and do not give a copy of your ID - blame it on rampant identity theft.

Edited by - Lisa T. on 03/26/2010 6:52:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  2:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cnaylor

With the exception of someone who attempted to argue they needed it for State auto insurance requirements (Ill, a no-fault state I believe, but why they would need it unless they were providing me insurance was beyond me), it's never been a problem.

Craig/CA

Unless they are going to insure me on THEIR auto insurance policy and they have to list insured drivers that's a bogus excuse and they have no use for the DL.

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell

Edited by - LindaH on 03/25/2010 2:33:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

LindaJ

Illinois
77 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  2:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"With the exception of someone who attempted to argue they needed it for State auto insurance requirements (Ill, a no-fault state I believe, but why they would need it unless they were providing me insurance was beyond me), it's never been a problem."

IL is NOT a no-fault state. I know for sure that KY is, but not IL.
Go to Top of Page

cnaylor

California
32 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  11:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit cnaylor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since I don't deal with SS for the most part, I don't run into it to often. When I do, I redact the EXP, Issue, and DOB dates; Middle name; address; and license number. In essence they get my picture, first and last names.

With the exception of someone who attempted to argue they needed it for State auto insurance requirements (Ill, a no-fault state I believe, but why they would need it unless they were providing me insurance was beyond me), it's never been a problem.

Craig/CA

Edited by - cnaylor on 03/25/2010 11:21:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  5:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PWinFL

What if you don't have a driver's license? What can you do? AFAIC (As Far As I'm Concerned), a copy of my notary commission is all any agency needs. The documents themselves positively will show notary information as well. So, if it's good enough for the State and Federal Departments of State, then it's good enough for everyone else.

It occurs to me that this may be a backdoor approach to being able to respond to questions regarding meeting affirmative action guidelines regarding independent contractors. It just seems odd that they would want information like this for no justifiable reason. Perhaps someone with TC human resources experience has an idea. With a decent photo copy of a DL, they should be able to determine age, race, and male/female status among other things.

Edited by - vince on 03/12/2010 5:12:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  04:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What if you don't have a driver's license? What can you do? AFAIC (As Far As I'm Concerned), a copy of my notary commission is all any agency needs. The documents themselves positively will show notary information as well. So, if it's good enough for the State and Federal Departments of State, then it's good enough for everyone else.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  6:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see no valid reason for either an SS or TC (tho' TCs rarely ask) to want a copy of anyone's DL. But the more people that comply by sending unneeded info., the more 'validity' it gives the practice. Stop doing it.

Go to Top of Page

azdocsign

Arizona
89 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  1:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit azdocsign's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To protect myself, I send my driver's license but block out the number and my date of birth.
Go to Top of Page

Lita

California
29 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  11:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Want to know your thoughts on sending a copy of your personal drivers license when signing up with a company to be in there database are. I have done it in the past, but am very uncomfortable with it and see no valid reason for it. Here in CA you have to go thru training, testing with the state with ID verification, fingerprinting and background checks with the FBI & DOJ, filing bonds, oath & commission with the county recorders office. With all the fraud going on why send a copy of our license, a copy of my commission and/or a call to the county will prove who I am.

Lita Caddick
CaddicksNotary@verizon.net
www.CaddicksNotary.com
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.