123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Document Experience
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  11:13:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It sounds to me as though the "person on the phone" was intending to talk about the need for the refresher course, rather than the need for some sort of certification. Anyway, hope you have had the opportunity to scan the information Paul provided and that it was helpful to you.

For whatever it's worth, the loan signning courses offered here on 123Notary were, in my opinion, more challenging than most other's. Many will say that certification here or elsewhere is not neccesary, to that I'll agree, but I've also received favorable feedback from some of the entities that hire us. It seems that they would like someone to have enough interest in the process to go through the trouble to get the process completed.
Go to Top of Page

Lita

California
29 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  12:14:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vince, just to be clear, I did not speak to Joan on the phone, Joan sent me a email advising me to take the loan signing class as a refresher, but as I stated, when I called the office I discovered this class is not geared as a refresher AND the girl on the phone is the one who told me I had to re-exam for loan signing. When I questioned that, she put me on hold and confirmed it with someone else I the office.

Lita Caddick
CaddicksNotary@verizon.net
www.CaddicksNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  06:04:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perhaps Joan will clarify what you were told to potentially clear her name. This sounds more like what some would say regarding the NNA combined certification and background checks being done over and over.
Go to Top of Page

Lita

California
29 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  6:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PWinFl, thanks, that's what I thought... and No I did not misunderstand, I thought she misunderstood me, so I explained I had already renewed my Notary commission and I was just interested in a refresher course in loan signing. She said "when a notary renews their commission they can no long do loan signing, if they were acting as a loan signing agent. She said everyone has to renew their "Loan Signing Certificate" when their Notary commission renews if they want to continue to do loans, by taking the class again and passing the test at the end of it." I appreciate your reply.

Lita Caddick
www.CaddicksNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  6:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lita

... I was told I must retake the full day class on becoming a "Loan Signing Agent" because everyone must renew their "loan signing certificate" when their notary commission renews. This doesn't sound correct to me and I was trying to get some feed back.
There is no mandatory "loan signing certification" required. Period. Anyone that tells you that is blowing smoke, or you misunderstood what they were saying.

Many organizations offer "certification" courses and exams. Most aren't worth the time spent on them. (My personal opinion, of course.) None of the certification course and exams are required in order for you to be a notary or signing agent.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

Lita

California
29 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  5:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vince, I realize to become a Notary Public you must take a 6 hr class and pass the state test. I also know when you renew you must do a 3 hr class and take the test, I just renewed. What I was commenting on was when I called notaryclasses.com about a refresher course for Loan Signing Agents (per Joans comments), I was told I must retake the full day class on becoming a "Loan Signing Agent" because everyone must renew their "loan signing certificate" when their notary commission renews. This doesn't sound correct to me and I was trying to get some feed back.

Lita Caddick
www.CaddicksNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  4:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Joan and Vince, when I took the class in '06 type of loans were not discussed. The five most important documents and some others were, but not; say, the top 5 loans and what they consist of, what makes them different, what a notary should know about each like, size, if some generate a higher fee than others etc. I just called to get more info on the class Joan offers and reviewed the table of content of the book that will be discussed in the class. It looks like a great class full of information for new signers, but it only devotes 2 pages to loans and 5 in total on the subject. I was also told that all loan signing agents have to get certified again every 4 yrs, is that true? My original certificate doesn't have a expiration date on it and I don't ever recall being told that. I do see the importance of everyone going thru a refresher course every 4 yrs, and not to say I couldn't learn something new from that class, I just really want a true "refresher" course and not a class that is geared for "new never before" loan signers. Any thoughts from anyone.

Lita Caddick

Lita, your State of California Notary Handbook (online at California SOS office - http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/forms/notary-handbook-2009.pdf ) has great information that you should consider becoming more familiar with. The State requires you to have an initial 6 hour education course, then a follow up "refresher" 3 hour course before each renewal (according to page 5). This is not to be confused with any sort of “certification” which is not required to be a notary public in California. There are various entities that offer “certification,” but experience is far more important than what most of the courses offer.

To get back to your original question, Paul responded below with some information that should prove very useful to you and anyone else in learning more about kinds of loans available.
Go to Top of Page

Lita

California
29 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  10:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joan and Vince, when I took the class in '06 type of loans were not discussed. The five most important documents and some others were, but not; say, the top 5 loans and what they consist of, what makes them different, what a notary should know about each like, size, if some generate a higher fee than others etc. I just called to get more info on the class Joan offers and reviewed the table of content of the book that will be discussed in the class. It looks like a great class full of information for new signers, but it only devotes 2 pages to loans and 5 in total on the subject. I was also told that all loan signing agents have to get certified again every 4 yrs, is that true? My original certificate doesn't have a expiration date on it and I don't ever recall being told that. I do see the importance of everyone going thru a refresher course every 4 yrs, and not to say I couldn't learn something new from that class, I just really want a true "refresher" course and not a class that is geared for "new never before" loan signers. Any thoughts from anyone.

Lita Caddick
www.CaddicksNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

joanbergst

California
360 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  9:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit joanbergst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think we cover all loans.

I have been the only teacher teaching the loan signing classes for the last 2 years so it a student has an issue with the teaching, it lies with me.

Lita, emailed me and is going to attend a loan signing class from us. She is going to be charged $75 to attend a class and get the updated "Wildly Successful book" at class.

I will offer to anyone in Southern CA who

attended a loan signing class in the last 4 years that you can attend a loan signing class at this $75 charge and it doesn't have been a
class from www.notaryclasses.com

Call me and I will get you into a class at $75

I don't care what notary company you took a loan signing class with.

Call me or email me.

Joan Bergstrom
24/7 To Riverside & San Bernardino Counties.
CA State Notary Exam Instructor For www.notaryclasses.com
www.joanbergstromnotarypublic.com
joan.bergstrom@yahoo.com
Cell: 951-522-4919
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  5:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joanbergst

Lita
I think you need a refresher course in loan signing. I checked your name in our data base at www.notaryclasses.com and you attended our loan signing class in January 2006.

Email me or call me! Joan

Joan Bergstrom

Just curious Joan, do you normally omit the various kinds of loans that students would likely be asked to close in your loan signing classes?
Go to Top of Page

joanbergst

California
360 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  9:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit joanbergst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lita

I think you need a refresher course in loan signing. I checked your name in our data base at www.notaryclasses.com and you attended our loan signing class in January 2006.

Email me or call me! Joan

Joan Bergstrom
24/7 To Riverside & San Bernardino Counties.
CA State Notary Exam Instructor For www.notaryclasses.com
www.joanbergstromnotarypublic.com
joan.bergstrom@yahoo.com
Cell: 951-522-4919
Go to Top of Page

Lita

California
29 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  5:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PWinFl, thanks for the links and advise. I really appreciate it!!

Lita Caddick
www.CaddicksNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

Lita

California
29 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  5:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find out where the job is, if there is one or two sets and how many signers, I ask them what they are authorized to pay. 100% of the time they give me a price, I either then say yes or ask for more. 99% of the time it works to my advantage. I realize the different fee ranges for Signing companies, Title/Escrow and Mortgage companies, so I take that into consideration. I do not have a set price schedule becuase I found very early on I can lose money that way.

Lita Caddick
www.CaddicksNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  9:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
<<<<I don't keep track of the type of signings I do, i.e. reverse mortgage, FHA, HELOC etc. In fact to be honest I can't always tell what type of loan it is I have.>>>>

Lita, how do you set your fee and negotiate with the hiring entity if you don't know the type of signing? Do have a one size fits all fee?

Edited by - Lisa T. on 02/06/2010 9:48:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  3:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Suggested reading:

http://mortgage-x.com/library/loans.htm

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/mtg/mtg_blurbs/types.asp

http://www.mtgprofessor.com/type_of_mortgage.htm

http://homebuying.about.com/od/financingadvice/qt/0507loantypes.htm

http://www.homebuyinginstitute.com/mortgagetypes.php

That'll keep you busy for a few hours. After reading those sites, do a Google search (or Yahoo or Bing) looking for mortgage loan types.

Go to Top of Page

Lita

California
29 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  1:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback, point taken. So where do I go to find out about all the different types of loans out there so I know why there are two mortgages and two Notes in a HECM or what a HECM is, or how to tell what type of loan I have in my hands and the subtle to radical differences there are. I do present the docs, I do explain what each does to the borrower and I do make a point of very carefully going over the key factors in the Deed of Trust, Note, TIL, HUD etc. But I have never been able to get any clear direction on more info than the basic and would like to be the best I can be at this.

Lita Caddick
www.CaddicksNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  05:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

We do not discuss the loan, we notarize the signature.

Lita, I submit that you are missing a very big part of our 'job'. That is, notarizing signatures (the notary part) is less than 10% of the job that we are hired to do. The other 90% is to present the documents to the signer, have them sign appropriately and be able to explain general things about their loan (like, why are there two mortgages and two Notes in a HECM), plus being able to show them certain specifics about their loan, if asked, such as their interest rate, term of the loan, cash back or due, etc.

quote:

In fact to be honest I can't always tell what type of loan it is I have. I'm signing up with new companies and I find some are asking for my experience in different types of loans. What do you put? Do you estimate, guess and why does it matter? ... I am always a bit confused when I am asked if I have experence (sic) in a certain type, I want to ask what difference does it makes ...

The differences in the different types of loans varies from subtle to radically different. As a proficient signing agent, you need to know and understand those differences. In essence, it does matter, especially to those who offer a wide variety of loan products.

quote:

I find some companies want a copy of my drivers license faxed, not comfortable with this, how many of you send this and if you send it do you black out the #?

IMO, signing services do not need a copy of my driver's license nor auto insurance information. I am not hired to be a courier. No one has been able to convince me that there is a need for them to have it. Some SA's say why not, since we collect copies of the borrowers driver's licenses. We do, when asked by the lender or title company, because there is a requirement (Patriot Act) that makes the lender responsible for properly identifying and validating anyone seeking to open an account. This includes refinancing existing mortgages because, in essence, the old mortgage is satisfied and a new mortgage initiated. This is all part of the lender's CIP (Consumer Identification Policy/Procedure). If anything, we should be asking for proper identification and financial reports on the signing service, law firm, title company or lender, as it is us, the signing agent, that is extending credit to them. But that's a subject for a different thread.

Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  05:36:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"...In fact to be honest I can't always tell what type of loan it is I have...."

Please understand that I intend nothing disrespectful to you personally, Lita - but you're a Certified Loan Signer, via APN? Perhaps someone from that organization would like to address this?

"...We do not discuss the loan, we notarize the signature."

Why obtain and advertise Loan Signing Certification then? What's the point? If you prefer to provide ONLY notarial services, then why advertise as a Certified Loan Signer?

It is precisely the fact that you can't tell one product from another that forces our clients to dig for the details of what, exactly, you profess to be 'certified' in.

Again, I'm sure that feels harsh and I really am sorry for that, but these are huge issues that I feel are detrimental to our industry.
Go to Top of Page

Lita

California
29 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  11:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't keep track of the type of signings I do, i.e. reverse mortgage, FHA, HELOC etc. In fact to be honest I can't always tell what type of loan it is I have. I'm signing up with new companies and I find some are asking for my experience in different types of loans. What do you put? Do you estimate, guess and why does it matter? We do not discuss the loan, we notarize the signature. I do present the docs and have no problem doing this but I am always a bit confused when I am asked if I have experence in a certain type, I want to ask what difference does it makes, but of course I don't. Also, I find some companies want a copy of my drivers license faxed, not comfortable with this, how many of you send this and if you send it do you black out the #?

Lita Caddick
www.CaddicksNotary.com
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.