123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Humorous and Interesting Post Archives
 wet loan docs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1 1 person liked this post.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

azdocsign

Arizona
89 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  07:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit azdocsign's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I carry a bottle of water with me that has a screw on top and always place it on the floor by my chair. When asked, I always let them know I have water with me.

When I first became a notary, here in the forum Jeremy had shared this great tip and I have always asked my borrowers to please place their drinks away from the signing table. I have never had anyone not understand and move the drink.

I place my docs in large brown valise type envelopes and carry them in my briefcase and this has avoided wet document problems for me.

So glad you were able to dry them without problems.

Happy signings to all!
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  5:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbelmont

Also, don't sign docs if there is any type of drink on the table. Drinks can spill, and should be on a separate table, or chair if they are at the signing.

A couple of years ago a woman asked me why I thanked her, but refused her offer for a drink at the table. She said, "What's the matter, are you afraid I'm trying to poison you?" So, I indicated that her question was interesting, but then explained why not.

Still think it was an interesting comment she made...
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  10:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think there should be a moral to the story... Always put docs in a sealed UPS / FeDEX envelope before taking them outside -- regardless of the weather.

Also, don't sign docs if there is any type of drink on the table. Drinks can spill, and should be on a separate table, or chair if they are at the signing.

Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  3:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a story. Glad you were able to get them dry and shipped off. Good Job!! I keep mine in a brief case. After reading your story I am glad that I do...lol

C
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  06:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doris, here's a test I just did after reading your post regarding Uniball. Specifically, the ones I have are the ones marked: Uni-ball Signo 207 Gel pens (medium tip). It says on the box "helps prevent check fraud." For the test, I used five pens: A BIC, an old fashioned felt tip by Pilot, the Uni-ball named above, a Zebra F - 301 BP fine tip (used at the moment for closings) and a logo retracting pen my wife had from her banking job before retirement. Drawn were parallel lines about two inches apart on a piece of paper used for printing documents.

I poured water from the sink onto the paper, let it sit for a moment and blotted it off. All five lines were intact. Next, instead of pouring water onto the lines started over and drew the line on the paper to dry. Put a finger into my mouth and drew it across each line in order. The BIC stayed intact, the felt tip from Pilot smeared, the Uni-ball smeared, the Zebra did not smear nor did the bank pen.

Next, I took out my notary log book from when I used these Uni-ball pens in 2006. I carefully did the wet finger test on the address of a borrower. It smeared. I then checked addresses from 2007 when I went to the Zebra's. No smear.

Let me know what you think about this test. The Uni-ball pens write very comfortably. The only (other) complaint being the medium tip pens do not allow for writing really small letters when the document requires it due to space limitations.
Go to Top of Page

Doris_CO

Colorado
148 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  11:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased a package of the Uniball Security pen a while ago, just to check them out. I had written a check for something and it was sitting on my desk. I accidently spilled a glass of water and the check was totally soaked. I blotted with paper towels and laid it flat. The check dried, the ink never ran and I didn't have to void the check and write another. Since then, I use those Uniball security pens for loan signings.

Doris
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  06:02:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renee

Binder clips = cheap insurance. When I worked on the 'inside', we received 80-100 pkgs a day, and the frequency of damaged docs hasn't yet left my memory.

One of the things that we saw pretty regularly were pkgs and/or docs IN the pkg that looked like they were run over by a car! There would be dirty tire tracks, and the docs would be pretty trashed, but usually still viable. Of course the shippers always said "wow - no clue how that's happening" but ... the law of averages would seem to me to indicate it's the shipping process (conveyor machinery) and not the person shipping. Now seriously, what are the odds - how often could it happen that the person shipping dropped the pkg, sometimes outside of the envelope, drive over it, pick them up and then ship them?

Thankfully, binder clips were pretty much the norm, and definitely saved A LOT of pkgs from needing to be resigned. Some of the TC's that I had a real friendly relationship with would even say "Hey, do me a favor, ship me back a bagful of our binder clips?" =) No sweat - when you're bringing in 80-100 a day, and sending out ...like, 0? We had all the drawers of all the empty desks FULL of binder clips!

I did use binder clips at first and then someone suggested rubber bands as easier on the envelope and on the budget as well. After experimenting found the size 117 works well to keep the documents together on all but the smaller packages where clips are still used. If a check is also included, it's stapled to the HUD as others have recommended.

Have noticed in the rare instance where overnight docs are received, instead of e-docs, the company has shipped the two copies in: legal sized envelopes, some with clips, others with a folder and some with bands. Sometimes borrower's copy in a special marked envelope and theirs handled differently using one of the other methods. Certainly not a real standard, but most are trying to keep the package together one way or another.
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  01:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Binder clips = cheap insurance. When I worked on the 'inside', we received 80-100 pkgs a day, and the frequency of damaged docs hasn't yet left my memory.

One of the things that we saw pretty regularly were pkgs and/or docs IN the pkg that looked like they were run over by a car! There would be dirty tire tracks, and the docs would be pretty trashed, but usually still viable. Of course the shippers always said "wow - no clue how that's happening" but ... the law of averages would seem to me to indicate it's the shipping process (conveyor machinery) and not the person shipping. Now seriously, what are the odds - how often could it happen that the person shipping dropped the pkg, sometimes outside of the envelope, drive over it, pick them up and then ship them?

Thankfully, binder clips were pretty much the norm, and definitely saved A LOT of pkgs from needing to be resigned. Some of the TC's that I had a real friendly relationship with would even say "Hey, do me a favor, ship me back a bagful of our binder clips?" =) No sweat - when you're bringing in 80-100 a day, and sending out ...like, 0? We had all the drawers of all the empty desks FULL of binder clips!

Oh - the other thing we saw A LOT was FOOD! Gross - all kinds of crumbs, spills, just disgusting. I'm just saying ...

Go to Top of Page

CopperheadVA

Virginia
420 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  5:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Papermate ballpoints because they are CHEAP!!! Package of 10 for $1. And if someone doesn't give one back, no biggie.

CopperheadVA

Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  5:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa T.

Great thing is - the docs printed on laser printer are waterproof. Toner is permanently bonded to paper so the writing doesn't run. Paper will just be slightly wrinkled but the print is okay. I clip docs with a binder clip and they're placed in a 10 X 15 clasp envelope. I don't carry docs in hand, they are in a totebag so as not to drop them or encounter what you encountered.

Good test for the signature pens as well. Many companies specifically require no gel ink pens be used for this running/bluring reason.

Go to Top of Page

CopperheadVA

Virginia
420 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  4:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG that's horrible! Glad you were able to get them dried and shipped, though!

CopperheadVA

Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  4:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great thing is - the docs printed on laser printer are waterproof. Toner is permanently bonded to paper so the writing doesn't run. Paper will just be slightly wrinkled but the print is okay. I clip docs with a binder clip and they're placed in a 10 X 15 clasp envelope. I don't carry docs in hand, they are in a totebag so as not to drop them or encounter what you encountered.
Go to Top of Page

Dee

Louisiana
4 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  1:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had an experience today that I had to share and no one would appreciate it like an signing agent. I did a loan closing last night and there were 175 documents. The return label was for UPS and I did not have an envelope large enough to use. I went to the only UPS place in this ural area in Louisiana which is at a drug store downtown. It was pouring down rain so I got my umbrella ready to get out of the car. Manila folder (full of signed docs) in one hand and umbrella in the other I opened the door and if I wasn’t so fat Mary Poppins would have been envious. This gush of rain/wind turned my large umbrella inside out….no joke all the spokes on this giant umbrella popped wrong side out ripping the material in several places. That’s not the bad part, while trying to figure out what to do in a nano-second the loan docs fell out of the folder and on the street…yes, the wet street!!!! A clerk at the drug store saw all this happening and came to my rescue. We picked up the wet docs, went inside and started drying them with paper towels and a hair dryer. Not sure how much time passed ….maybe 45 minutes but I got the docs in the UPS envelope just as the UPS guy walked in the door. TGIG!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.