123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Technical & Marketing Issues
 As we enter the Era of Lowballing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1 1 person liked this post.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joanbergst

California
360 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  7:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit joanbergst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think you are a great example of someone who is a wonderful notary and gives back to your community. Your posts are great and always informative.
I am having trouble getting my picture on my posts; what does it take?
Thanks

Joan Bergstrom
24/7 To Riverside & San Bernardino Counties.
State Notary exam teacher for www.notaryclasses.com
www.joanbergstromnotarypublic.com
joan.bergstrom@yahoo.com
Cell: 951-522-4919
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  11:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just LOVE the internet. Where else is everyone slim, handsome, and has a good disposition at all times. Sure there are "nicer" ways to respond to an offer of 35$ for an edoc in the next county. But, my business model is based on honesty - I call the shots (with the sole limit of no profanity) the way I see them. And, I would like to add; I have a thriving business. I get between 5 and 15 calls a day. Most are from my regulars, who have often commented that they trust me to level with them in plain language. When I step in "it" - I don't say "oops - that is post digested canine nutrition".

I base my success on the "3 legged stool" principle. A successful business relationship rests on a 3 legged stool. The legs are: mutual trust, mutual respect, and mutual PROFIT! The 35$ edoc offer denies me respect and profit. It's tempting to describe an appropriate use for the remaining leg - but that would just get me REALLY flamed!

"Let him (or her) who is without sin cast the first stone". I notice some are quick to critique the actions of others. BUT, they don't seem willing to "fess up" to doing things that are far worse than a laugh into the phone. To my critics I ask: "Have you ever done something worse than laugh into the phone?" Probably.

Though my business is "somewhat down" - my diversification into: Mobile Notary, Signing Agent, Legalization and Apostille Processing, Fingerprinting - keeps me busy. But I also find time to do "pro bono" work at senior citizens and tenant groups for free. This coming Wed I am teaching a class on fingerprinting, as a guest lecturer, at a local high school... Have you also "given back" to the community?

My original post was a warning about being stuck as a lowball processer - I never suggested others to laugh into the phone. I, however will continue to do so, when appropriate. That is my style. For the same reason I have my picture, name and address on my home page. I have a great following of clients who WAIT for my return when I am away for a few days. Frankly, I prefer to please the ones who pay me - than - my forum peers. Can we please return to the essence of the posting (the wisdom of accepting lowball offers)and not center the discussion on me laughing into the phone?

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  10:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not rude to schedulers that call with lowball offers. I even let one scheduler know (in a nice way) that when he offers $50 signings, he's offering the equivalent of $6.00 per hour. He was insulted and said he'd remove me from his database. No problem. I do believe it is more important to sometimes tell why I'm turning down a low offer than to just say "no". Even if it's just an "employee" the message needs to be relayed that we are professionals that run a business as they do and are in business to make a profit. Does that message fall on deaf ears? A lot of times yes but that won't stop me from informing the lowball companies of this.

It only really takes ONE (in any area of life) to make a significant change. My dad told me this story: Many years ago, if you were denied credit, the entity did not have to disclose the reason. That was standard....then ONE man was denied credit and asked the entity why. He was told the standard "we don't have to tell you why" and they refused to tell him why he was denied credit...so he sued. And that set the precedent for the rest of us. If you are denied credit, you have a legal right to know why....all because of ONE man.

I said all that to say, never feel like your one voice won't be heard or make a difference. Speak up and out at injustice and unacceptable practices. Ok, I'm off my soapbox...heeheehee!!
Go to Top of Page

lkassis

Iowa
60 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  07:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to agree with Joan. An old phrase of 'Don't burn bridges'. With so much turn over in the finance industry, that employee may end up at a different employer who pays better but will remember rudeness. They are just employees and are doing their job. They have very little leeway or control of the situation.

Furthermore, it is just bad business to scoff at someone. Be nice until it's time to not be nice. And I've found very little reason over the past five years to be anything but nice, calm and respectful. What goes around comes around.

Linda Kassis
United Notary Association (UNAA)
www.unitednotaries.org
www.halitek.com

If you are not riding the wave of change, you may find yourself under it. Ride the wave with the UNAA.
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  10:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I fail to see how laughing at an absurd offer is rude. But, I suppose it is a "matter of style". Being polite all the time is, IMHO not the appropriate course of action. "As ye sow, so shall ye reap". If I am "marking myself", I choose to do it with flair. Just think of my actions as driving the cheepos your way.....

Kenneth A Edelstein

Edited by - edelske on 10/13/2008 05:07:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

joanbergst

California
360 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  10:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit joanbergst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The person offering the fee is often an employee and I think we should treat people politely and just say "no."

I don't think it does a signing agent any good to be rude on the phone: you never know when they might want to meet our fee; for instance (difficult borrower(s) signing, another notary loused it up the 1st time, can't find someone easily at a particular time/etc?)

Joan Bergstrom
24/7 To Riverside & San Bernardino Counties.
State Notary exam teacher for www.notaryclasses.com
www.joanbergstromnotarypublic.com
joan.bergstrom@yahoo.com
Cell: 951-522-4919
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  8:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with you, Kenneth. My fees are my fees and I "charge" for my services, I am not at the mercy of what companies wish to "pay". I'd rather stay home and watch The Golden Girls reruns than to take lowball fees. Many who are in this industry still have an employee mentality and not a business owner mentality. An employee accepts what is given. A business owner charges for its products or services. While I don't laugh into the phone at lowball offers (though I am tempted to), I do tell them if they cannot meet my fee in THIS phone call, no point in trying to "get an approval" to call back, just call the next person.
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  12:33:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Business has gone "poof". We all know it.

Gradually, it will return. Now, and for a few weeks to come, the offers will be lowball. You know, 35 dollars for a signing, 50 if edoc.

What you accept is remembered - and will be the max fee "they" will want to pay you evermore. If you want to eak our a minimal wage now, and ensure that you never earn more ---> accept the lowball offer.

The reason for the lowballing is "some" of ourselves accept it. They have not done a "cost benefit analysis" of doing a 35$ signing. It may not be the best of manners, but when I get such an offer I just laugh hysterically into the phone - they get the point.

I understand the temptation - 35$ in hand beats nothing. Perhaps, and perhaps not. Not - if you consider that you really are keeping, after expenses and taxes - about 20$ for 2-3 hours of work. You probably could make more washing cars and mowing lawns.

"But, I have to feed my family". So do I - but unless you want a constant diet of beans - lowballing is not the answer. Get out of the rut - DO SOMETHING ELSE - that gives you a greater HOURLY income.

The signing agent money is still there. But, knowing how unorganized we are - how vulnerable - that "someone" desperate enough will accept; the upper parts of the food chain - offer us peanuts. While they continue to eat steak.

I for one am "holding the line". Last year's fees are still in effect - lowball offers laughed at. The borrowers (who pay everyone) will be charged the same - the issue is - will you get a fair share?

Kenneth A Edelstein
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.