123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Question of the day
 Question 14 - E&O insurance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1 1 person liked this post.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mgadler

California
10 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2010 :  10:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit mgadler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will be upgrading to $100K E&O Insurance. The costs are negligible and the benefits can be huge. It is just another thing to do though, but it must be done.

Thanks.

Melissa
San Diego Mobile Notary
Go to Top of Page

n/a

New York
2 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  11:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a NYS notary, where do I go to get E&O insurance??

Christine Belin
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  3:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeremy...I've heard of two who were sued - and both were relative to loan modifications, I believe (at least one I'm positive is connected to a mod)...but I'm sure there are many more who've been sued - the litigation idea is that it's easier to name everyone, right down to the waterboy, right at the outset and drop them later than to try to add someone you missed later on.

As far as "I'm trying to think of what situation a notary could get sued for $100,000" - they can sue for ANYTHING - the notary's name is on the document/transaction at the heart of the lawsuit - it's the final judgment that counts - and everyone has a different idea of the worth of their damages....get a sympathetic enough jury and the notary's drowing in monetary damages without adequate coverage.

The "not taking thumbprints" issue is state-specific - I know it's required in certain circumstance in CA, but we aren't authorized to take fingerprints in FL - we can ask but it can be refused and we can't withhold notary services based on that refusal.

I do agree - if you're in business, $100,000 is a necessary drop in the bucket, especially for those who have assets to protect (a home, savings, etc) and I don't think anyone should operate without E&O.

MHO

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  1:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excess E&O insurance is not a target - its a safety precaution. If you got sued for lots of money, you would be bankrupt without it. I have never heard of a notary getting sued though. Even notaries who screw up loans that lose their lock have never gotten sued to my knowledge.

Better safe than sorry, and its not that much money in the long run. I have lost track what it costs. Perhaps $150-$200 for a four year term for a high amount of E&O? I'm guessing.

I'm trying to think of what situation a notary could get sued for $100,000. The only way I can think of is if a person was cheated out of their home, and the notary unknowingly was involved in the fraud and did something unintentional and careless to facilitate a fraud.

Not taking thumbprints on a real estate document ( Deed of any type ) would be a prime example of this type of neglegence.

Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  1:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I disagree with those that say a $100K E and O policy just paints a target on the Notary's back. It no more paints a target on the Notary's back than higher auto insurance policy limits with an umbrella policy over it......when one has a home and other assets to protect, a higher policy not only makes sense but is quite customary and wise.
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  09:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Bobbi/CT on this. There really is NO legitmate reason for requiring $100,000 E&O. All a notary is doing is painting a HUGE target on your back. Additionally, you can be totally correct in what you have done, but the E&O carrier (not you) gets to choose whether it would be cheaper for them to settle than fight it in court. This is not a direction that needs to be promoted by anyone.
If a person feels they want/need lots of 'insurance', you'd be far better of with General Liability than E&O.

Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  5:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No complaints from me on what can be used to sort notaries information database. If I do not meet the minimum the company is looking for, I'd rather not be called. How many times did we used to hear, do you speak Spanish?

I carry the $100,000 because a number of companies saw it as important. But I do not carry the $500,000 because it is not a requirement of most companies.
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  05:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think by creating an artificial upper limit ($100K) for notary E&O, you are compounding the illusion by many title companies that the notary E&O will further protect them and/or the notary. What I've learned from title companies and RE attorneys is that lawsuits brought about have had little to nothing to do with the notarial act in and of itself, except in the case of knowingly perpetrating fraud. (In which case, the notary E&O wouldn't protect the notary anyway.)

As has been pointed out previously, from a notarial point of view, the notary bond protects the public. The notary E&O protects the notary only in the performance of a duly authorized notarial act. 90% (or more) of a signing for a lender and title company has nothing to do with being a notary or performing notarial acts. Therefore, the notary E&O does not even enter the picture.

This begs the question, then, how is the signing agent covered? Often, the signing agent is acting at the behest of a title company, either directly or indirectly, and would be covered under the title companies E&O policy. But, that is not true in every case. Therefore the signing agent would need to acquire general commercial liability/E&O insurance. I can see title companies requiring that in $100K or higher, but not in notary E&O.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

thensley

Kentucky
32 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  6:41:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit thensley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeremy, did you ever create a filter so that companies can find notaries with the $100,000 coverage of E&O insurance? I've always carried this amount and think it's a great idea of yours to make it an option for those of us who use this amount, to be able to be found easily by title companies, etc.

Trina Hensley
Go to Top of Page

n/a

Florida
1 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  4:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I strongly agree with everything you're saying,I only have 25,000 myself
quote:
Originally posted by BobbiCT

"I'm going to create a new filter for the 100K E&O insured notaries so that companies can find them in a snap."

Not intending to offend, but I will take the opposing viewpoint. Why discriminate against those notaries PUBLIC who do not choose to carry that high E&O? Why not make the E&O target on the notaries back $1 million? It will make them a much bigger target for a lawsuit: Sue the notary, too. Even if we believe the notary was blameless, odds are his/her E&O company would rather settle than fight - internal plaintiff's attorney and notary insurance carrier beancounters does the math and finds it is less expensive to the E&O company to settle than defend an innocent notary just to "make a point."

Since "some" title and scheduling companies want to reduce their annual insurance premium by requiring notaries to carry more insurance, why promote this like you-know-who marketed "must purchase our background check" to stay in business, "must purchase" eNotary seal to get business, "must purchase" to remain competitive...

For me, I carry E&O but see no pratical purpose to carry that much. How many "blameless" notaries public have had a claim on their E&O over say $25,000 for a document signing that they performed according to their state law and and how many have had to pay out. It is the notary's "portion of the blame" for the financial loss that is at issue, not the entire financial loss. But for the notary's actions, this borrower would have not lost X dollars. There are many avenues through the notary signing agent to the scheduling company, to the title company, to the lender to bring their E&O, malpractice and other coverage into a lawsuit. Save those printed instructions

As said, a BOND protects the public/borrower. E&O protects the notary. Why do companies want the notary to carry protection for the notary rather than require a bond that protects the borrower/signing public? Maybe because requirements to carry a bond are more difficult to meet than purchasing an E&O policy?

Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  08:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Bobbi - totally agree with you.
Go to Top of Page

claudia

Texas
54 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  07:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit claudia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have $35,000. I stay pretty busy except for this month business has been down. I have often thought about raising it. But if it is only for the notary certificates It doesn't seem worth it. I have not had anyone that I work with tell me I had to have more. One time a lender wanted $500 in E&O and they had me do the signing through Notarize 24-7 a signing company with 500 in E&O.
Go to Top of Page

BobbiCT

Connecticut
135 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  05:04:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit BobbiCT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"I'm going to create a new filter for the 100K E&O insured notaries so that companies can find them in a snap."

Not intending to offend, but I will take the opposing viewpoint. Why discriminate against those notaries PUBLIC who do not choose to carry that high E&O? Why not make the E&O target on the notaries back $1 million? It will make them a much bigger target for a lawsuit: Sue the notary, too. Even if we believe the notary was blameless, odds are his/her E&O company would rather settle than fight - internal plaintiff's attorney and notary insurance carrier beancounters does the math and finds it is less expensive to the E&O company to settle than defend an innocent notary just to "make a point."

Since "some" title and scheduling companies want to reduce their annual insurance premium by requiring notaries to carry more insurance, why promote this like you-know-who marketed "must purchase our background check" to stay in business, "must purchase" eNotary seal to get business, "must purchase" to remain competitive...

For me, I carry E&O but see no pratical purpose to carry that much. How many "blameless" notaries public have had a claim on their E&O over say $25,000 for a document signing that they performed according to their state law and and how many have had to pay out. It is the notary's "portion of the blame" for the financial loss that is at issue, not the entire financial loss. But for the notary's actions, this borrower would have not lost X dollars. There are many avenues through the notary signing agent to the scheduling company, to the title company, to the lender to bring their E&O, malpractice and other coverage into a lawsuit. Save those printed instructions

As said, a BOND protects the public/borrower. E&O protects the notary. Why do companies want the notary to carry protection for the notary rather than require a bond that protects the borrower/signing public? Maybe because requirements to carry a bond are more difficult to meet than purchasing an E&O policy?
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  10:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the next several months, I'm going to create a new filter for the 100K E&O insured notaries so that companies can find them in a snap.
Go to Top of Page

Lkemp

Arizona
13 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  4:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used only $25k for several years but more and more services and title companies were asking for 100K of E & O so I just renewed and raised my E & O to 100K. Hopefully business will pick up again to make it worth the extra expense. Hope that helps you.

LDK
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  1:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that some want it because someone who is not informed thinks/believes that we should have it. They think that it protects them but it doesn't. It protects the notary only. The bond is what protects the public.

Carmen
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  10:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just to clear this matter up. E&O insures against "honest" mistakes on the part of the notary and not against fraud. I believe it insures only against mistakes on notarized documents and not on other loan documents. A wrong date on a right to cancel could cost the lender a pretty penny, but your E&O would most likely not cover taht. Perhaps the bigger title companies just want you to have the insurance to prove that you are very serious and committed.
Go to Top of Page

rwedertz

New Mexico
30 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  2:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit rwedertz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More and more title companies (not just Chicago Title) are asking for a minimum of $100K E&O. It doesn't cost that much, is good for four years and is a business expense. The title companies and some signing companies that I work for have asked for a copy of my E&O, which I have scanned as a PDF document and I send it to whomever needs it. I certainly don't ask them to "guarantee" me some business - you get repeat business by earning it. If you expect people to hire you, you need to advertise, exploit your experience, be certified, background screened, insured, and a develop a reputation for thorough work. Companies want to hire a professional total package notary - one should not try to compete in this business "on the cheap", as there are outlays in every business. The better job you do, the more business you receive.
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  06:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E & O only covers notarial errors...not what we may or may not do as Signing Agents. Frankly, nobody's ever asked me and, if asked, I would not comply unless they would guarantee me a certain minimum/month--not likely.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  03:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many companies such as Chicago Title want 100K E&O insurance or they won't use you. Are there other companies demanding such a high amount? Is it worth it to get lots of E&O coverage? What is your experience?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.