123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Signing Companies
 Fees your state will allow you to charge?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Twestreicher

Wyoming
5 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  5:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Twestreicher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am going to a jail to notarize three car titles, a POA and "another document" for a mother and son. What would be a fair charge on that? Wyoming is $2.00 a signature but I have to drive about five miles there and probably wait for the jailers to set us all up in a room. I'm only charging $20 because the lady has to drive all the way from Cody to Casper and I could tell she was about to cry when I said I was available. I should be less of a bleeding heart but I want to make it worth my while the next time. This would be the first time I ever did a notarization like this.

Twest
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  11:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Jeremy. The amount of work will usually dictate the charges. I am flexible with my own work. You certainly will have to be in these times with so much competition.

Carmen
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  2:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I interpret reasonable as charging based on how much work the job would be. If you have someone who takes 45 minutes in your office so you can notarize their aunt who is hardly able to sign her own name without someone holding her arm up, then that would constitute a higher charge than five signatures with someone quick. If you document each job in your journal with notes about the labor and hassle involved, you will have solid ground for whatever claims you have about what is reasonable. Charging a "setup fee" included in the first signature seems reasonable to me since it involves making the appointment, getting your equipment out, sitting people down, getting ID, small talk, etc. Additional signatures could be much cheaper.

I wish state laws would differentiate the fees for initial signatures and additional ones, because that would be fair to both the customer and the notary.

But reasonable is in the eye of the beholder. An attorney could say that $25 for one signature is reasonable because his time is worth $250 per hour and I would agree with him. There is no fixed definition available.
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  02:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeremy, as a resident of Kansas I'd like to point out that it says the maximum fee must be "reasonable". Perhaps that might be interpreted to be "what the market will allow". That might also mean - whatever the market is willing to pay at the time a service is needed. Competition is a strong factor.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  6:04:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After reading what I posted, I think I'll move to Alaska. I'll get a dog sled when oil prices rise and charge whatever I like per signature depending on how the dogs feel and give them a cut of the action and perhaps a few bones could be thrown in too.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  6:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You might think about looking up the maxiumum notary rates online. Oops, to late, I already did it.

State Maximum Fee
Alabama $1.50
Alaska No limit**
Arizona $2.00
Arkansas $5.00
California $10.00
Colorado $5.00
Connecticut $5.00
Delaware $5.00
District of Columbia $2.00
Florida $10.00
Georgia $2.00
Hawaii $5.00
Idaho $2.00
Illinois $1.00
Indiana $2.00
Iowa No limit**

Kansas No limit**

Kentucky $0.50
Louisiana No limit**

Maine No limit**

Maryland $2.00
Massachusetts Varies
Michigan $10.00
Minnesota $1.00
Mississippi $5.00
Missouri $2.00
Montana $5.00
Nebraska $5.00
Nevada $5.00
New Hampshire $10.00
New Jersey $2.50
New Mexico $5.00
New York $2.00
North Carolina $5.00
North Dakota $5.00
Ohio $1.50
Oklahoma $5.00
Oregon $5.00
Pennsylvania $5.00
Rhode Island $1.00
South Carolina $0.50
South Dakota $10.00
Tennessee Varies
Texas $6.00
Utah $5.00
Vermont Varies
Virginia $5.00
Washington $10.00
West Virginia $2.00
Wisconsin $0.50
Wyoming $2.00
Go to Top of Page

LindaJ

Illinois
77 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  1:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$1.00 in IL
Go to Top of Page

Sylvia_FL

Florida
46 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  01:13:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sylvia_FL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
$10 per notarial act in Florida. $30 for solemnizing marriages.
Go to Top of Page

jfsobers

Louisiana
90 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  01:04:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit jfsobers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No statutory limit in Louisiana. We can charge as much as we want. It is typical for me to charge $10 per signature, which is $20 for a car title and bill of sale or act of donation. If I prepare a document, such as a mandate, will, etc. it is much more for preparation and research of the document, about $100 per hour is my rate. Contrary to many public postings, Louisiana is not an attorney state. We are civil law notaries and are able to perform many "attorney-like" acts.
Go to Top of Page

AZSigner

Arizona
93 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  2:47:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arizona is horrifically low. We're only allowed to charge $2 per signature, so the only way to make money is to be a mobile notary and/or signing agent.
Go to Top of Page

profnot

41 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  1:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit profnot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am doing a survey and would love your input.

What does your state allow you to charge per signature and/or per seal? I'm not taling about notary signing agent work. Just state-mandated notary regulations and practices.

I know AZ, MD, and CT are horrifically low.

FL, CA, and WA seem to be the highest.

Would you please let me know what your state allows?

Thank you!
Laura
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.