123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 What's the most you are authorized to pay me?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  2:48:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just tell them you charge based on an estimate of how long the job will take including transportation. The bill would be based on the time estimate in six minute increments. Thats similar to how accountants bill. You could charge three or four dollars per increment.

You could also get a snow mobile or a dog sled. Dog sleds get good milage. 10 miles per pound of puppy chow, and huskies are very beautiful too.

quote:
Originally posted by Loris216

Don't you love it when they say, "Oh you have to drive 2 hours one way in the middle of a snow storm, I didn't realize you were that far, but we would still like you to do it and the fixed rate for this one is $35.00, can you be there in an hour?" Do they not hear what they are saying? Why do they start so low knowing they won't even have the docs to you for at least 3 hours and you have to drive another 2 ontop of that, not to mention the print time, how do you handle that one? I tell them right off, there is no way I can do it at that rate, and oh well if they don't call back, they were never worth my time. Any suggestion on handling it differently?

Go to Top of Page

n/a

Vermont
1 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  1:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't you love it when they say, "Oh you have to drive 2 hours one way in the middle of a snow storm, I didn't realize you were that far, but we would still like you to do it and the fixed rate for this one is $35.00, can you be there in an hour?" Do they not hear what they are saying? Why do they start so low knowing they won't even have the docs to you for at least 3 hours and you have to drive another 2 ontop of that, not to mention the print time, how do you handle that one? I tell them right off, there is no way I can do it at that rate, and oh well if they don't call back, they were never worth my time. Any suggestion on handling it differently?
Go to Top of Page

n/a

114 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  4:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"I'll see if I can get that approved," is one response I often receive.

Usually, my request is approved.

Some companies consistently ask, "Can you do better than that." This is your opportunity to, explain your experience, the distance and time required for travel, gas prices, road conditions, last minute notice, end of the month fee schedule, competitive rates, and how your rates are set.

It is all a game and just think of your children when you explain that you have a loving family to support and you need the money.

Don't be afraid to negotiate and don't lower your fees very quickly as this is a sign of weakness.

I taught Negotiations a couple of decades ago and the skills of a successful negotiator may make the difference between your success and failure.

Negotiating is a game! Enjoy!

Burton F.
www.GeorgiaLoanClosers.com
www.CallOurLawyers.com
Recruiting throughout Georgia every day!
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  02:09:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the companies also read this board? If you only go with a low fee that is "what has been authorized" will you be able to stay in business? What works best for me is knowing what my minimums are to be able to stay in business and maybe make a small profit. Frequently heard is "I'll see if I can get that approved" or "thank you anyway but you are too high." If they are still there to discuss it I point out that many notaries are in the area and many may be nearer to the signing. Some may even do as good of a job.

Many of the services do call back - the ones offering the low fees rarely call anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Shannon

California
360 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  01:55:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shannon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Quaye, for the most part, that question comes from SS's and they already have their max number in mind. If you are not at or below the number they are going to move on anyways.

When I'm on the other side of the phonecall I operate my limited SS work differently (probably because I'm an NSA first..) and ask the notary what he or she wants to do the signing. I've been very surprised to see how little some notaries ask for. I pay well and on-time and sometimes offer more than what they ask because it is more important to me that they do good and proper work. I also never, ever make more on a signing than the notary who conducts the closing...since we all know that is where the real work happens.

"A Quick Note"
WWW.AQUICKNOTE.NET
Go to Top of Page

radonotary

Florida
234 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  05:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit radonotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sure! Don't ask for more than the authorized limit.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

Oklahoma
5 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  04:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually find when I ask for more (than their authorized limit) they respond they will have to check with their supervisor and get back to me. Which means they are calling another notary and I never hear from them again. Any advice on how to avoid that scenario?
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  06:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally never ask that question. I find out what the job entails (who is the lender, distance, time of day, edoc's, overnight, etc)then give a price. The lowest I will go is 150.00 period. They can take it or leave it. It is about what my time is worth and what I need to charge to make a profit. And the beauty of it for me is 9/10 times I get what I ask for. The beauty of it for them is that they will get above and beyond what they paid for. :)

~Carmen
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  10:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, like Lee said, it's old as dirt - this is Sales Negotiations 101. I was taught negotiations at the dinner table as a kid ... my dad is a salesman.

The saying about "The first person to give a number, loses" has been drilled into my head since birth, I think (well, it FEELS like that!) I used to find dinner conversations hugely boring, but it all comes back when you least expect it.

It's easy to make the 'game' fun (and negotiations CAN be fun!), and if you can engage the person into a little light-spirited fun, it usually works in your favor. (Read about Relationship Sales)

I think many NSA's limit their 'continuing education' to only NSA-specific formats, when there's a very broad spectrum of enlightening information that relates. We're small business owners, we're involved in sales and customer service, we're negotiators, we're book-keepers, PR, credit, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  08:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They read the boards, too....and this one has been around quite a while.
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  08:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first time I used that phrase...just the other day...the response I got was "How much do you want??"...I almost choked...was not ready for that answer!!!,,,LOL

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  05:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't as I have been paid more than 'the highest they can pay'. All you need to remember is "the first guy who mentions a price--loses."
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  7:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am using a phrase from one of our notary's posts a few days ago. She says that this is the magic phrase that you say when you negotiate fees. I think its brilliant and gets straight to the point.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.