123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Humorous and Interesting Post Archives
 Should the signer be present in an affidavit?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  4:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chunks:
I Notarize about 1200 affidavits a month for a legal services firm in Illinois.I do this without ever witnessing the individual signing the affidavit.Is this affidavit good in court ? Also am i DOING SOMETHING WRONG ??Please help me with this as I am unsure...

LindaH:
So, in other words, you notarize 1200 affidavits a month for A LEGAL SERVICES firm - and you don't know what you're doing?...do I have that right??? That's incredibly scary....

dfye@mcttelecom.com:
Anderson's Manual for Notaries Public Fifth Edition describes an Affidavit as a "declaration reduced to writing, signed by the affiant, and sworn to BEFORE an officer authorized by law to administer oaths."

Blacks Law Dictionary describes an Affidavit as "a written, ex parte statement made or taken under oath BEFORE an officer of the court or a notary public or other person who has been duly authorized so to act."

If you ever had to go to court you would be required to testify under oath to the truth. You would have to divulge that you signed those affidavits without ever witnessing a signature. After all, a Notary is an Officer of the Court and must respond as such. This will not reflect well on you as a Notary.

In New Hampshire, we are subject to "petty offense" fines for misuse of office. If you are signing 1200 affidavits per month without witnessing a signature imagine what the fines could be if your state imposes them. They may never find out but in the end you are the one who needs to account for your use of authority and at best live with yourself. As for what you want to do about it, is your decision.

My Opinion: You can go on the way you have been all along and think nothing more of it or you could do the right thing and have the affiant present so that you can properly administer and they can legally take the oath no matter what.

As a notary you have already established yourself as someone with good moral character are expected to abide by the law. Don't let anyone take that from you. YOU CANNOT ADMINISTER AN OATH TO SOMEONE WHO IS NOT THERE.

Disclaimer: The above opinion is not to be construed as legal advice of any kind.

LindaH:
Very intellectual response dfye - too bad I was too dumbstruck by the question to think of even an iota of this type of response..:)

dfye@mcttelecom.com:
I, too was "dumbstruck" by Chunks' post. Let me say, however, that when you become a notary, you need to be aware of what is required of you and what your resposibilities and duties are BEFORE your election . I would never recommend that anyone sign up to be a notary without knowing the full spectrum of the position.

To Chunks: Please go back to the Illinois state laws on Notaries Public and review them thoroughly. Depending on whatever the future holds on the affidavits that you signed, they may/could be rendered invalid in a court of law.

I need to make a correction in that I quoted the definition of Affidavit from Blacks Law Dictionary. The correct Law Dictionary is Barron's. My apologies for the oversight.

Most Notaries do not hold the position full-time and work other jobs. "Despite the fact that they are not full-time "professional" notaries, their every act as a Notary must be accomplished in a professional manner, however, because they are held to high accountability and are relied upon by the public because of the high degree of responsibility which they exercise." (Anderson's Manual for Notaries Public, 5th ed.)

LindaH:
Excuse me??...an incorrect definition quote??!!....How dare you!!...guess we'll need to shoot you now!!..<G>...and Chunks can notarize the death certificate - which will probably mean you're really not dead!!!

dfye@mcttelecom.com:
What kind of a legal firm allows a notary to notarize documents without an affiant being present. SHAME ON THEM!!! They obviously have no regard for your good character by allowing you to perform an illegal act such as notarizing 1200 Affidavits
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.