123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Many notaries complaining about the business...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lkassis

Iowa
60 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2016 :  1:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey LindaH! Yes, I have been well and hoping you have been also! Thank you for the vote of confidence.
quote:
Originally posted by LindaH

Hi Linda!

Good to hear from you. Hope all has been well with you.

I wish you luck, but I'd bet if anyone can do it you'll be the successful one. :)

Unfortunately, the market is now flooded with notaries who will jump at obscenely low fees because "something is better than nothing". Sadly they don't do the math, because if they did they'd know that accepting $55, $65 or $75 for some of these assignments IS working for nothing - in fact, it's working in the negative.

That's what you'll be bucking - setting a respectable, acceptable fee for yourself while competing with someone who is willing to undercut you by 50% or better to get that "something".

I wish you all the best. Good luck and welcome back!!

Linda
http://www.columbiacountynotary.webs.com

Linda Kassis, Senior Signing Agent
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2016 :  5:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Linda!

Good to hear from you. Hope all has been well with you.

I wish you luck, but I'd bet if anyone can do it you'll be the successful one. :)

Unfortunately, the market is now flooded with notaries who will jump at obscenely low fees because "something is better than nothing". Sadly they don't do the math, because if they did they'd know that accepting $55, $65 or $75 for some of these assignments IS working for nothing - in fact, it's working in the negative.

That's what you'll be bucking - setting a respectable, acceptable fee for yourself while competing with someone who is willing to undercut you by 50% or better to get that "something".

I wish you all the best. Good luck and welcome back!!

Linda
http://www.columbiacountynotary.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

lkassis

Iowa
60 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2016 :  1:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't done many signings for several years. I was wondering if it was worth getting back into. I see by your post, Carmen, that nothing has changed. I mean no disrespect but it would seem from days gone by that you are preaching to the choir. Same ol', same ol'.

You know me so I know you won't take offense to my comment about preaching to the choir. As I venture back to dip my toe in the waters of the signing world, I appreciate your suggestion of stating 'Do not work for signing services' in your profile.

I have nearly always found signing services to be very unprofessional , overbearing, and discourteous. They are yet one more middleman that is not necessary and just muddies up the lines of communication.

I am also in full agreement that the base fee for any signing should be $100 and it only goes up from there.

I guess there is not much one can do about the people who come on board accepting a low fee. It is apparent from days gone by that the industry still hasn't learned, nor come to appreciate the efficient, knowledgeable crew and how it benefits them much more than the newby who accepts low fees and messes up a loan.
Go to Top of Page

betty1957

Illinois
35 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2015 :  06:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto!!
I should add that I cut costs by suggesting that local people, who want to sign at a local restaurant, consider signing at my office (I am the office manager at my DH's small law office that he shares with an associate.) This cuts my travel expenses, and these people don't want anybody coming to their home, anyway.
I also work to MAKE signings work for the borrowers, and I've done these several times. I recently was called for a buyer's package, property out of state. The borrowers knew me because they had attempted to purchase a property in Nevada back in January, but, after signing, the deal fell through on the seller's side for that one.
Anyway, they live 1 hr, 15 minutes drive from me, but needed to travel to another town 45 minutes from me, where they needed to collect a Cashier's check from their bank, that was to be included with their documents. I suggested that we meet at their bank for the closing. They made a call to their bank and we met there. It turned out that they had a lot of other business at their bank THAT DAY to make this purchase possible. The bank gave us a conference room to sign in, and the package was completed and shipped on time.
WE MAKE THESE THINGS HAPPEN!!!! UNfortunately, some Title companies and some Vendors come unGLUED when you make sensible suggested changes.
Just FYI.

betty j. dedman
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2015 :  08:50:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dannotary

Ken and Carmen, I cannot agree more. I am also not working with new signing agencies. If they beg and are desperate, they can pay on pay pal in order to reserve a spot in my schedule. WE SHOULD ALL BEING DOING THIS FOLKS. TAKE CONTROL, THE TAIL DOES NOT WAG THE DOG.

BRAVO

Signings are a small part of what I do. Way too much hassle for the skimpy profits. Oh my Gosh - I just said a "dirty word" !! I forgot that many consider that we should work to meet expenses ONLY.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  7:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken and Carmen, I cannot agree more. I am also not working with new signing agencies. If they beg and are desperate, they can pay on pay pal in order to reserve a spot in my schedule. WE SHOULD ALL BEING DOING THIS FOLKS. TAKE CONTROL, THE TAIL DOES NOT WAG THE DOG.
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  06:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crtowles

Here lately, I have been reading several notaries complaints regarding the business not being what it use to. The consensus is that it has gone downhill...or better put 'down the toilet'. I concur and have voiced my concern over this for the past few years. But guess what folks, these low fees with triple the work is our fault. Yeah, I said it, it is our fault. What message do we send when we take these paltry fees that are being offered? it says to the Signing Services that we are so desperate for work that we'll accept any fees thrown at us. And as long as notaries continue to devalue themselves and the work, it will continue to get worse.

All the notaries need to start with 100.00 as a base fee and work the fees upward from there depending on what services need to be provided. . (And don't start with the price fixing. Plumbers, mechanics and dentists, etc have their fees within a few dollars of each other) We need to do the same. I am positive that if we'd ALL do this it would change the course of our profession forever...and for the better. Many signing services would get out of the business or pay fairly.

I am aware many of you are new to the business. But please understand that when you take these low fees you hurt all of us.

I personally have put in the notes section of all my notary profiles that I no longer work with any signing services. This has worked like a charm. I dont get the calls, emails or texts. I dont have the time or patience to deal with their nonsense. They want you to print, travel, fax back and give them credit to boot. Not me....I don't work this way. It is not smart.

It is time to take our profession back!

~Carmen

So right Carmen. And I add that being a notary offers more options than just being a "signing agent".

read: http://blog.123notary.com/?p=4180

Kenneth A Edelstein
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  06:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
very well stated. I agree 100%
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2015 :  6:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BRAVO

quote:
Originally posted by crtowles

Here lately, I have been reading several notaries complaints regarding the business not being what it use to. The consensus is that it has gone downhill...or better put 'down the toilet'. I concur and have voiced my concern over this for the past few years. But guess what folks, these low fees with triple the work is our fault. Yeah, I said it, it is our fault. What message do we send when we take these paltry fees that are being offered? it says to the Signing Services that we are so desperate for work that we'll accept any fees thrown at us. And as long as notaries continue to devalue themselves and the work, it will continue to get worse.

All the notaries need to start with 100.00 as a base fee and work the fees upward from there depending on what services need to be provided. . (And don't start with the price fixing. Plumbers, mechanics and dentists, etc have their fees within a few dollars of each other) We need to do the same. I am positive that if we'd ALL do this it would change the course of our profession forever...and for the better. Many signing services would get out of the business or pay fairly.

I am aware many of you are new to the business. But please understand that when you take these low fees you hurt all of us.

I personally have put in the notes section of all my notary profiles that I no longer work with any signing services. This has worked like a charm. I dont get the calls, emails or texts. I dont have the time or patience to deal with their nonsense. They want you to print, travel, fax back and give them credit to boot. Not me....I don't work this way. It is not smart.

~Carmen

Kenneth A Edelstein
Go to Top of Page

cw2usarmyret

Virginia
122 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2015 :  05:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the most important rule in real estate? Location, location, location.

Currently, I am busier than before the crash. Yesterday I had 3 closings and had to turn down 4 offers because I could not be at different locations at the same time.

In my area there never were many NSAs, so when things crashed, some apparently got out or cut back. Since I am available anytime, I do a lot of the 9 - 5 closings. Last Friday I had 4 between the hours of 10 to 6.

As an example, I am the only one of two in my (very little) town, only one of two in my ZIP CODE. Only a few in my county.

I fell very lucky to be able to say that I have more business now than I've every had.

One thing that helps beside your quality, is your ability to be flexible. I was talking with the owner of one company that needed some help and I agreed to help him. He told me that they have me listed as one who is flexible and has helped them with difficulties in the past. As a result I get first offers. Also when asked if you can take a job, never just say no. Offer a plan "B". I can't do it at 5 but if the borrower is flexible, can we do this at 630? If you do this you will become the go to person when they need something. One scheduler once told me that he liked calling me because I would give him something to work with beside a flat "NO".

Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2015 :  3:18:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

~Carmen
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.