123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Signing Companies
 123notary or BELLYACHE CENTRAL?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  4:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TaylorNotaryNC
Your opinions are valid, very well crafted, and are VERY welcome. I hope to read more of your posts in the future.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

TaylorNotaryNC

North Carolina
8 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  12:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit TaylorNotaryNC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edelske

Is there no end to the gripes about not getting paid promptly? Really, enough is enough. I for one, and there must be others, are tired of the constant whining and moaning about not getting that check. YOU gave credit to strangers, YOU fronted your time and costs; YOU and you alone should suffer in silence - stop the complaining!!
I know, you want to tell fellow notaries about the lemons out there. But they WANT to take a chance on being paid. I turn down strangers who offer the big bucks if I am unable to research their payment history. I always extend credit to BBB A+ entities. I have NO collection problems and NO shortage of work. No other industry delivers the goods first and and sends an invoice for MUCH later payment. ALL internet transactions are pay first, then they ship. If your business policy is to screw yourself PLEASE do so without incessant bellyaching. Just require PayPal withing 15 minutes of the first contact - or your calendar removes THEIR request. ANY additional work not discussed in the initial booking call is extra, be it on the confirmation or sent with the docs. Start running a business not a whipping boy/girl service. Have some backbone and refuse do now get paid maybe - much later.

Kenneth A Edelstein

I, as a new Notary and new to the signing industry, welcome the gripes. While I do understand the point you are trying to make here, I have to point out that new posts about companies helps determine if the old complaints have been resolved and also helps show whether or not the company has changed and improved. I have seen some instances where the signing company started out with problems paying or other issues but later on improved and became better. And, I've seen many where the problems continue. Think about it for a minute.. if only one or two people post a gripe about a company, would we want it to end there in the interest of stopping the gripes and someone like me who is new comes along to check the company out but there haven't been any new comments about that company for a long time because no one wanted to hear/see the griping? Or, would we want an ongoing record of that company and it's practices so the information stays fresh? So, in my opinion, the never ending gripes ARE beneficial as long as they are done in a proper and professional manner.

Maybe a better approach would be to create a "black list" of companies that get a certain number of VERIFIABLE negative reports in this forum and then that company itself would have to request removal from the list if they can prove they have improved and eliminated the issues? Kind of like a signing company "credit report" of sorts since in most cases we are extending credit to these companies and hoping they pay! Maybe that would streamline the issue while eliminating the constant griping.

Either way, with the existing system we have here, I appreciate the new and updated experiences with companies. It has saved me from doing business with companies that have a long track record of not paying or other problems. I'm glad I don't have to "guess" because the griping stopped after only a few complaints and I am glad that some take the risk with these companies so we know if they have stayed the same or improved.

Again, I am still new so don't flame me too hard. I'm just giving my 2 cents worth.

<center>Taylor Notary Service</center>
<center>Robeson County, NC</center>
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  2:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stone Pony said: "there is no need to lambast others in this forum"

I totally agree WHEN IT IS A PERSONAL ATTACK DIRECTED AGAINST AN INDIVIDUAL BY NAME OR ID.

I see nothing wrong in a "generalized gripe" directed to a behavior .

There have been way too many personal vendettas - thankfully they are fewer now. But, "calling to task" the action, not the individual - seems a very fair and proper thing to do. Opinions will certainly vary as to what an individual writes - that is good. As long as the writing is useful and intended to be helpful, I see no fault.

Long ago when I was a kid on the lower east side of Manhattan - cops delivered a "correcting" kick in the seat of the pants. THAT certainly was personal, but, as they did it to all in the bunch of rowdy kids - it was also kinda generalized too.

As to medical and construction. Without some medical card it's payment as you leave. As to construction, when I had a wall unit built I had to front cash for the supplies, labor as work progressed. Sure, you might find some niche that ships first and collects later. But the vast majority of phone and internet sales are payment first and then they ship; at least in my experience.

With that said, it's time to follow your suggestion and browse the humorous and interesting posts - thanks and a tip o the hat for the idea.

Kenneth A Edelstein

Edited by - edelske on 05/22/2013 05:58:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  09:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken has a valid point here. Most notaries do not do their homework and don't think about what they are getting into. Each process in the notary business has multiple steps. Notaries typically flake on many of the steps such as background checking the company, writing a good notes section in their profile, passing as many certification tests as possible, confirming the signing and identification -- the list goes on.

There is a lot to check in the notary business. Make a check list for every company you get on board with and every job. If you find you left information off your check list, then redraft it. If you are meticulous, in the long run you will make it in this business!

Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  09:45:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Posts by you and Mr. Edelstein helped me when I was just beginning, and I thank you for sharing your knowledge."

Glad to have been of help. :)

Linda
http://www.columbiacountynotary.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

Stone Pony

California
31 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  09:04:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with your interpretation of Ken's stance, and yes, there are a lot of resources for signing agents to peruse and educate themselves on the ins and outs of running a successful business. But keep in mind there is a constant turnover of signing agents who are not as experienced and business savy as the two of you are. And the constant turnover results in the repeated posts on not getting paid. I cut my teeth here at 123 when I was a new signing agent - I found information here to be quite invaluable and has taught me to "grow a backbone" in dealing with the not-quite-so-honorable signing agencies. And there are other industries that delivers the goods and then sends a bill -- construction for one, medical work for two. All I was trying to convey is there is no need to lambast others in this forum. If a particular topic is irritating, quit reading and click on something else. If you choose to share your knowledge, then that's a pretty darn nice thing to do. Posts by you and Mr. Edelstein helped me when I was just beginning, and I thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  08:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think what Ken is trying to convey is with all the resources out there (123, Notary Rotary, Notary Cafe, etc etc) - the number of posts about non-payment should not be as high as it is. If people can't do their due diligence and blindly go into signings with no idea who they're working for, they shouldn't be surprised if some don't pay.

That's the most disturbing thing. All the time and effort notaries put into warning others about non-payers, and still people take the work - expecting that perhaps they'll be different?

Guess it's true - you can't save people from themselves.

Linda
http://www.columbiacountynotary.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

Stone Pony

California
31 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  07:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find 123notary to be my most valuable tool in researching signing companies. This site is so easy to navigate, and choose the topic I feel best suits my need at the time of login. The best thing about 123notary is the variety of topics I can choose from - sometimes I need information, sometimes I like to offer my two cents, and sometimes I just need to laugh. If you are getting tired reading posts about not getting paid, there really is no need to lambast those who choose post their experiences. Perhaps you could simply choose a different topic, such as the humorous file, to give yourself a chuckle when the rest of us here start to irritate you.
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2013 :  12:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is there no end to the gripes about not getting paid promptly? Really, enough is enough. I for one, and there must be others, are tired of the constant whining and moaning about not getting that check. YOU gave credit to strangers, YOU fronted your time and costs; YOU and you alone should suffer in silence - stop the complaining!!
I know, you want to tell fellow notaries about the lemons out there. But they WANT to take a chance on being paid. I turn down strangers who offer the big bucks if I am unable to research their payment history. I always extend credit to BBB A+ entities. I have NO collection problems and NO shortage of work. No other industry delivers the goods first and and sends an invoice for MUCH later payment. ALL internet transactions are pay first, then they ship. If your business policy is to screw yourself PLEASE do so without incessant bellyaching. Just require PayPal withing 15 minutes of the first contact - or your calendar removes THEIR request. ANY additional work not discussed in the initial booking call is extra, be it on the confirmation or sent with the docs. Start running a business not a whipping boy/girl service. Have some backbone and refuse do now get paid maybe - much later.

Kenneth A Edelstein
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.