123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Other
 Printer needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kellyjmt

Washington
22 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2012 :  9:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit kellyjmt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HI Anne, I've been doing this full time for almost 8 years now and the best advice I can give you is to save up to buy a high quality printer. You will live or die by your printer. When I started it was on an inexpensive, single tray laser jet and it took nearly an hour to print two sets of docs. With the printer I bought 3 years ago I can print two sets in about 8 minutes. I have a HP LaserJet P4015n dual tray. It has truly been a lifesaver more times than I can recall when docs arrive late or signings run long. Save up and get the best quality machine you can afford. You will be glad you did! Best of luck to you!

Go to Top of Page

paralegal01

Pennsylvania
5 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  08:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit paralegal01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information. I understand what you are saying about not quitting my job until I get this one started, my plan was to sign up with signing companies and if I start getting calls that would be comparable to what I currently make working full time, then I would then make the move. Thanks for the information about the laser printers, I thought about my post after I posted it and was figuring that if I need to print documents that I would have to watch and see what size that particular document is. They have some nice, inexpensive laser printers that would probably work for me.

I didn't think you were a naysayer, you are just telling me how it is and what to expect and I appreciate the information, this will give me more information to think about.

Anne E. Jablonski
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  03:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not "laser inkjet" - "laser" or "laserjet" printer

Yes, laser required - with inkjet the print just sits on the paper and is subject to smudging, fading, etc. With laser printers the toner used bonds to the paper - does not smudge and fading is slowed dramatically if not avoided altogether.

Unfortunately, to do the job you need the proper tools, and one of those is a laser printer. Do you NEED dual tray? Probably not as I've done without a dual tray for a long time. If you have to print on two separate size papers then you run into a problem but there are workarounds for that (such as page separator software). There are workarounds for just about every problem you could run into, but there is no way around the fact that you absolutely need a laser printer to do this job.

I'd also tell you to not be too hasty in quitting your full time job unless you have another steady source of income - if you're your sole support, make sure you do a cost analysis first and make sure you can get in enough work at the fees you require to sustain yourself without another source of income. When you prepare your business plan, figure out what you need to make per week or month to maintain your lifestyle, figure out what you'd need to make per signing to do that THEN start your calculations - deduct EVERYTHING involved in doing the job - equipment, paper, toner, cell phone, pens, commission, insurances, business cards, advertising, cost of gas, mileage, vehicle maintenance expenses, cell phone, internet service, and probably a bunch more I'm missing. THEN don't forget to allow 15-20% for federal taxes (note not included in this is payment of your SE taxes which is the equivalent of the FICA taken from your weekly check and matched by your employer - depending on your age and your life's situation, contributions to Social Security may be a serious consideration for you - yes notary fees are exempt from Self Employment Taxes however not paying taxes on those fees decreases your social security contributions...you'll need to be on the plus side after all deductions so you can afford to take a paycheck from your business to support yourself - keep in mind, your income from signings is going to support two entities - your business and you personally. I'd hate to see you give up your guaranteed weekly/biweekly paycheck too soon and find out you can't bring in enough signing work to support yourself. Believe me, there's no sound in the world worse than that phone not ringing.

Not being a naysayer - just being a realist.
Good Luck.

Linda
http://www.columbiacountynotary.webs.com

Edited by - LindaH on 10/09/2012 03:37:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

paralegal01

Pennsylvania
5 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  4:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit paralegal01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have noticed that some signing companies want laser ink printers with a double tray. What is the difference between that and a ink jet double tray? I went today to a local office supply store to find a laser ink jet printer with a double tray and they do not have them, they only sell the ink jet ones.

I want to do signings full time so I can quit my current job but if it is required to have a laser ink printer with a double tray, I may need to rethink my decision.

Can someone tell me if this is mandatory to have this type of printer or do these companies really accept ink jet printers?

Thank you.

Anne E. Jablonski
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.