123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Technical & Marketing Issues
 This is what a signing agent makes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TGS1985

California
208 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  6:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit TGS1985's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow I'm doing good then!

I'd say my average is $100.00 and base off this month thats going up. Also I got my routine down to the point that a signing on average takes me only an hour (this, considering its a refi with a RTC, 90-120 pages long with 4-6 docs needing notarization, no fax-backs).

Also I notice you have $452 listed for E&O. Is that for a $100,000 policy because I paying only $230 for both a 4yr $100,000 E&O and $15,000 Bond with Travelers. Might want to shop around next time around.

I agree with you though. I will no longer do a signing for under $100 unless its a small package. More so now than ever with these gas prices. And the liability is a good point also. Unfortunately, I think signing agent E&O still isn't being offered in California. That said I been considering getting quotes for a General Liability policy, just for potection against frivolous lawsuits.

I think the low ballers are in for a rude awakening once the housing market and the economy really start to recover.

- Tyler -
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  10:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I fine tuned my figures. Average appt pays 90. (some more some less) but after the expenses it leaves you with 50.39 an appt profit. Average appts take 2.5 hrs= $20.16 an hr. If you are lucky and get done in 2 hrs you get $25.20 an hr.
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  1:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am grateful to be doing this job, working from home, and have great people in many signing co's and title co's to work with on a regular basis.
I can't believe many signing agents have owned a business before or they would all be charging more. Based on an average of 57 appts a month, at 90.-$125. an appt on average, some paying more and some overnights are less. I am a single person, no wealthy spouse or other income.
I HOPE THIS HELPS.

E&O ins 452. for 4 yrs .20 an appt

Car payment, ins and maint = 14.36 an appt (New Corolla best mileage)

gas 3.22 an appt

copier cost toner and maint = 3.95 an appt (used Sharp ARM257 like a copy store has)

paper, average 260 sheets an appt= 2.60 an appt

health ins 452. mo = 7.92 an appt

Laptop,($1200.) new every 3 yrs/400 a yr= .59 an appt

supplies(pens clips,rubber bands,yellow stickies etc .29 an appt

tax at 20% 11.42 an appt

me paying for shipping a few times a yr for boo- boo's 11. each= .09 an appt
Cell ph $125. a mo.& not counting the cost of phone = 2.20 an appt.

Total expenses an appt $46.84 from 90. =$43.16 net profit each appt

average appt time, printing, preparing travel time, and the appt,
shipping time,waiting in line at UPS and Fed X as most dont want you to use a drop box these days, = 2.5 hrs average if you are fast and experienced.

Your AVERAGE net profit after all expenses and taxes= $17.26 an hr./2hrs time = $21.58 an hr. !!!! WOW!!

Now consider that as Notaries we have UNLIMITED LIABILITY, you could loose your home and all assets even after E&O ins, and all joking set aside, you could end up living in a used bread truck in WalMarts parking lot forever, even if it wasn't your fault. Do you see why we have to charge at least $125. an appt????????????????????????????

Remember to be effervescent, smiley, and all bubbles in a suit, stressed, rushed and with tight chest or chest pain half the time. What price does this have?? Last minute is the nature of the lending industry so accept it. It does not give the normal consideration of advanced notice of appts and getting docs on time. That's for other businesses. If you operate this way and don't hussle it, you won't make much.
I was thinking of installing a dual tray printer in my trunk and get a portable scanner for faxing back immediately. More expenses. Maybe it will get me more work.
My advice to younger people and new signing agents: THere is NO pie in the sky. Nothing is for nothing. Go to college, get your ed-ju-ma-cation, get a masters or PHD in something, anything, have real security, $ etc.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.