123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Signing Companies
 Signing Company Req-DON'T ANSWER YOUR PHONE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randlyman

California
20 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  7:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I go to a signing I give my full attention to the client(s) and the job at hand. Think about the last time you tried to work with someone who tried to work with you and talk on the phone at the same time. Some people mind, some don't but if the call is for another signing, I can't negotiate fees in front of clients and I can't really excuse myself to do so either. If I'm expecting a call, I may inform the client ahead of time and then when it happens I keep it short. It's all about respect and that reflects in one's reputation and that directly reflects in the number of repeat calls you get. I also like Mr. Edelstein's response; You don't own me. Say it with me; Independent Contractor.
Go to Top of Page

pjrager1

38 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  06:45:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with you about answering your phone while on an appointment that is, if it rings more than once or twice in a signing. However, I believe in "moderation". If your phone is ringing off the hook, I wouldn't answer it either. However, if it rings only once while you're in the signing, I believe, and I have done this, if it's another job for that night, I usually say, "I am available, but I'm in a signing and I'll call you back in 20 - 30 minutes. If they can't wait for me to call them back, so be it. My phone usually does not ring more than once or the most twice while in an evening signing unless, of course, it's the end of one of those crazy busy months! If that happens, I do shut off the phone!

quote:
Originally posted by CopperheadVA

As independent business people, we are free to decide whether or not we will answer our phones during a closing appointment. As for me, I do not answer my phone and I have made peace with the fact that I will lose a job opportunity now and then.

If my phone rings, I do check it to see if it's the TC for that job calling (rare), but otherwise I send it to voicemail. In the past when I have answered my phone, even though I excused myself to the borrowers, I felt extremely uncomfortable negotiating fees in front of them during their appointment. I personally do feel it's rude for me to answer calls while I am at their appointment, and I also feel it's rude for the borrowers to answer calls while I am at their appointment (but most borrowers do it).

For a long time I felt there must be something wrong with me, or I wasn't a good business person, since the prevailing view on the chat boards seems to be that our phone is our livelihood and we should answer it during appointments. But as I said earlier, I have made peace with the fact that I am not comfortable doing that and thus I personally do not do it. If others feel comfortable doing it, that's their decision.

Ultimately, when the TC contacts the borrowers to check up on their closing experience, I don't want the TC to hear that I answered my phone four times during the appointment. Think about it, even if you ask the borrowers if they mind if you answer the call, are they really going to say "yes I mind"? More likely, they will say they don't mind, even if they secretly do.

Go to Top of Page

CopperheadVA

Virginia
420 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  05:00:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As independent business people, we are free to decide whether or not we will answer our phones during a closing appointment. As for me, I do not answer my phone and I have made peace with the fact that I will lose a job opportunity now and then.

If my phone rings, I do check it to see if it's the TC for that job calling (rare), but otherwise I send it to voicemail. In the past when I have answered my phone, even though I excused myself to the borrowers, I felt extremely uncomfortable negotiating fees in front of them during their appointment. I personally do feel it's rude for me to answer calls while I am at their appointment, and I also feel it's rude for the borrowers to answer calls while I am at their appointment (but most borrowers do it).

For a long time I felt there must be something wrong with me, or I wasn't a good business person, since the prevailing view on the chat boards seems to be that our phone is our livelihood and we should answer it during appointments. But as I said earlier, I have made peace with the fact that I am not comfortable doing that and thus I personally do not do it. If others feel comfortable doing it, that's their decision.

Ultimately, when the TC contacts the borrowers to check up on their closing experience, I don't want the TC to hear that I answered my phone four times during the appointment. Think about it, even if you ask the borrowers if they mind if you answer the call, are they really going to say "yes I mind"? More likely, they will say they don't mind, even if they secretly do.
Go to Top of Page

pjrager1

38 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  10:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I agree with all of you to answer the call when you're in a signing. I've done it, just by saying, "excuse me" and get the call - get the info and get off. However, if it is a request for an assignment, it's very awkward to state your fee when the Borrowers are sitting right there. What do you all do about that?
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  1:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the nature of what we do is " ON CALL" that means I will answer to quickly accept an appt, no personal calls.
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  1:04:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Inappropriate and overreaching request...unless they want to give me paid holidays/sick days, pay employer share of FICA and contribute to my health care.

Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  09:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish I recalled more than the title of the song....

You Don't Own Me

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  8:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think that its ok to mention when beginning the appt, that it will be necessary for you to answer your phone because it could be something urgent relating to their appt and if it isnt, it will be a quick call to accept an appt because the nature of our work is on an 'on-call' basis, but that you would not take any personal calls. I dont care who likes it or not. If they want to double the fee for the appt you missed then we'll talk about it. Signing Co's usually wont leave a message and will call the next one on the list and it will be too late to call back when the appt is done. Thats the way the mop flops.
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  08:11:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lately, I have heard that many of you are being asked by signing companies not to answer their phones when in a closing. I want to know what some of you feel about this.

Personally, I dont think this is right for various reasons. One, if something was wrong and lets say the lender, loan officer, etc was trying to get in touch with you this could be problem, especially if the borrower was unable to get to their phone. But the main reason I dont like this idea is that this is my business and my livelihood. Missed calls means missed revenue. Now I know a couple of you have told me that you feel it is rude and that you want to give the borrower you undivided attention but if you are discret, mutitask and keep it brief (and of course NO personal calls) I dont feel its rude at all...but I was just wondering what the rest of you think about this requirement.

Carmen
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.