123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Notary Tips
 Borrower's signing as name appears
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Irene

Washington
8 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  10:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Irene's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This was an ongoing issue for me (and was even stonewalled by a borrower when I tried to get him to sign as imprinted) until an Escrow Officer from a title company in Hawaii emailed to inform me there was a document which dealt with the fact that if someone had a specific signature they use, then it's all right for them to sign that way. (unfortunately, I don't remember what the document was, but I do believe it was from the Federal level.) In instances like this I include a copy of the borrower's driver's license or passport showing that signature. I've never had anyone complain.
quote:
Originally posted by 16664

Can anyone point to a federal or state statue, law or regulation that requires borrower's to sign exactly as his/her name appears? Is this just a requirement of the lender?

Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  03:35:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The short answer is no, Elizabeth - not that I have ever found myself, nor seen anyone else cite. Since your question was about signatures and not the printed name, I'll keep my answer specific to that.

In the past, I was a closer/funder for a wholesale lender. Part of my job was to ensure each loan closed w/in the parameters of the law (Fed, State & any local law that applied), the requirements of my employer (HSBC) and the investors on the Secondary Market (n/k/a 'Wall Street').

There are many points w/in a mtg loan governed by laws - APR limits, certain fees disallowed in certain states, the particulars of each state with regard to non-borrowing title-holders and/or spouses, this/that disclosure specific to state laws, etc.

Signatures - no laws. The only 'master' to serve on this was the market. Our SOP was primarily for reasonable consistency (from one signature to the next, throughout), and of second importance was the conditional requirement for the signature to match the name variant used on/in the document. This is a rule that is always conditional - it only kicks in IF the signature is legible/readable.

This condition alone might be the biggest indicator that there is no law written regarding which letters in a person's name must be included in their hand-written signature. If there WERE such a law, it would have to include the condition of the law only applying to legible/readable signatures - and that just wouldn't make any kind of sense or logic at all.

The need for consistency begins with the "Signature Affidavit", where a borrower provides their base-line sample of how they execute their signature. This is THEIR statement saying (in essence) 'here is my signature, to which you can compare all the rest of my signatures'.

So, if that signature then changes to something that looks/reads entirely different - it IMPLIES (due to that Signature Aff) that it does NOT represent their own signature, and we would have any doc with a different signature re-signed, to be consistent with what was on the Signature Aff.

Also consider - if a law existed specific to how a person executes their signature, that law would have to somehow incorporate those rogue lenders who absolutely demand 'legible' signatures of their choice of variant, regardless of the signer's preferred 'mark'.

But I digress - to answer the question, no - not to my knowledge does there exist a law in any state specific to your question.

Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  5:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And if you are a "by the book" notary, as I certainly am; that "Marie" needs to be proven by ID. That's often a problem. When I confirm with the borrower (after viewing the docs) I ask what is the name on your ID. New York State's requirement is "adequate proof" and the specifics are left to the notary. For me, if the "Marie" is not on her driver's license, but IS on some other ID - it's probably a go.

However, it's a notary "judgement call" in New York State. If I feel she has "adequate proof" we proceed, if not - we have a problem.

It relates to the fundamental purpose of notarization. In this case it's to protect Jane Marie Doe from impersonation. And, as previously mentioned, "shorter" versions are IMHO not the right signer.

I often get people who say "I never sign my name that way". I tell them it's required for processing to proceed smoothly. They really have two choices. Sign in an illegible scrawl (and tell me that you signed as printed "under the line" OR sign legibly above the line - what is preprinted "under the line".

It's a good idea to ask them to sign the copy of their driver's license (almost never required) to get a sample of how they will sign.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com

Edited by - edelske on 11/20/2011 5:34:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  2:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'd have to check your own state laws as I'd guess that's something that's state-specific

But consider this - the name on the docs is derived from how the owner(s) took title at the time of vesting. So if Jane took title as Jane Marie Doe, the docs will be drawn with that name, requiring "the owner of the property" to sign...stands to reason Jane Doe, or Jane M. Doe, or J Doe are not the owners....Jane Marie Dow is the owner and should be the one signing, and signing her name "as it appears" on the docs, on title, etc etc.

Linda
http://www.columbiacountynotary.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

Louisiana
18 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  12:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone point to a federal or state statue, law or regulation that requires borrower's to sign exactly as his/her name appears? Is this just a requirement of the lender?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.