123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Question of the day
 Longest Signing I have completed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  08:38:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This would be the clincher for me

" ....and her husband had to tell her on each page why she was signing... "

Linda
http://www.columbiacountynotary.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  08:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Linda,

"you should be satisfied that the signer has read and understands the document" - WOW! that's a mighty high standard! When you bring a 158 page loan package with a 26 page Mortgage do you make sure they read each word of the docs to be notarized? Both signers? How on earth can you be tasked with determining their "understanding"?

I have had experienced attorneys comment that THEY could not really understand some loan package documents.

Here in New York - they are asked the same question and a YES is all that is required. Of course ethical notaries will not proceed if it "don't smell right" - but we have no responsibility such as Florida.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  7:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fdrover

Mine was about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. My poor signer had Alzheimer's and her husband had to tell her on each page why she was signing. Lender's were aware of her condition but wanted her to sign her full first name, full middle name and full last name on every single page. In my 30 years, that is the first time I ever had signers sign all 3 names in full. What a time to decide that!! Still have issues with allowing ALZ patient's signing docs.

Are/were you comfortable with her competence? I, personally, would have aborted the signing...I won't sign an Alzheimer's patient, and I especially won't notarize for them...we here in FL have this little phrase in our handbook that says, as part of the step-by-step to notarization, "you should be satisfied that the signer has read and understands the document, and that the signer is competent and willing to sign" IMO if they have Alzheimer's, they aren't competent - or sure, they'll be WILLING to sign but do they UNDERSTAND what they're signing...and I don't believe they do. I'm surprised the company went forward with the signing.

JMHO

Linda
http://www.columbiacountynotary.webs.com

Edited by - LindaH on 03/24/2012 7:27:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

fdrover

Nevada
15 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  4:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit fdrover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mine was about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. My poor signer had Alzheimer's and her husband had to tell her on each page why she was signing. Lender's were aware of her condition but wanted her to sign her full first name, full middle name and full last name on every single page. In my 30 years, that is the first time I ever had signers sign all 3 names in full. What a time to decide that!! Still have issues with allowing ALZ patient's signing docs.

Go to Top of Page

catmama47

81 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  12:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit catmama47's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My longest signing took 5 hours. The reason being the borrower had Parkinsons. I was expecting the borrower's handwriting to be quite shakey and it wasn't. The property was in a trust, the son was present. He told me that he was also a trustee and had POA for his mother. The borrower's penmanship was stunning! You wouldn't know she had Parkinson's. We had to take several breaks for her to rest, get massages from the caregiver, but the signing was completed.

Go to Top of Page

kandy1099

Pennsylvania
121 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  3:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit kandy1099's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My longest signing was about 3 and 1/2 hrs. But the unique part was, my husband and two boys (age 3 and one), were in the car. Our plan was to go out to dinner after the closing... UGH, huge mistake! The borrowers passed each page back and forth, reading every single word twice each before signing. It was total torture and even more torture for my husband sitting the car at dinner time with little bored kids... He has yet to go with me again... LOL... I don't blame him...

Go to Top of Page

PennyG

Texas
28 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  2:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I learned that. The hard way.

~PennyG~
P.E.G. Notary Services
A MINI Mobile Notary
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  06:24:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PennyG

I was pretty new to signings at the time. Went to a HELOC and when I walked in Mr. had more ppwk than I had, and I had two printed copies, and Mrs. had a HUGE calculator. 6 hours later, 20 emails, 10-12 faxes later I walked out with the original paperwork signed. On this assignment I learned to look at the 1003 to see what the borrowers do for a living.

Mr.= Contract Negotiator (shoot me now!)
Mrs.= Mathmetician.

ugh.

~PennyG~

Six and a half hours?? Absolutely no way - after 30-45 minutes of back and forth over figures I'd be packing up my toys and telling the loan officer I had another appointment to get to and to call and reschedule this when all the numbers and terms are in order. If they insisted I stay, then a fee adjustment is called for based on an hourly rate that they're going to hold me hostage there at their beck and call.

Take control. You're not supposed to be available for the loan negotiations, and the numbers should have been hammered out well in advance. And if it's the borrowers being difficult, that's something for LO and title to deal with - not you.

Dan - you were stuck. Your situation is unique, and how do you walk out on the elderly? That's a rough situation. I probably would have called title when all was said and done and requested more money to compensate because, you have to admit, 5 hours is ridiculous....good thing you didn't have anything else to do.

My longest - a reverse mortgage - 2.5 hours - two elderly ladies who wanted to chat while one kept answering her phone.

JMO

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell

Edited by - LindaH on 07/31/2011 06:27:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

PennyG

Texas
28 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  02:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was pretty new to signings at the time. Went to a HELOC and when I walked in Mr. had more ppwk than I had, and I had two printed copies, and Mrs. had a HUGE calculator. 6 hours later, 20 emails, 10-12 faxes later I walked out with the original paperwork signed. On this assignment I learned to look at the 1003 to see what the borrowers do for a living.

Mr.= Contract Negotiator (shoot me now!)
Mrs.= Mathmetician.

ugh.

~PennyG~
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  8:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
5 and a half hrs. Couple in their 80's, both of whom have had a stroke. Mrs was not able to sign. Mr signed for her as Attorney in
Fact. Now you know what that entails- Him signing his name for himself. THen he signs her name with his name as her AIF. Mrs middle initial was wrong so he had to correct and initial that too, as her AIF as directed by the title co. He was shaky as heck and very slowly drawing out each letter and shaking all the way. I called the title co and asked them if there would be a way we could correct this for this couple once and for all so it wouldnt occur again with her wrong initial on docs and deeds. (It had been originally notarized and recorded wrong). So title says they will do a grant deed WATA (who acquired title as_so I came back and did that for them and I got cussed out for it by the borrowers! Causing too much trouble. They will never have to deal with that problem again with everything being finally recorded in her correct name. No good deed goes unpunished.
Go to Top of Page

wmkryger

New York
29 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  07:17:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off I go to my appt. with Mr. and Mrs. Upon reaching the house, the door is opened a crack, and upon ringing the doorbell I receive a feeble "come on in". I enter the house and try to figure out where the voice is coming from. Upon entering the kitchen, I find a very elderly frail man sitting at the table.

He informs me that his wife is in the hospital and we can go there for the signing. I agree, and he attempts to get up from the table. He was sooo shaky and frail, and went with a walker. It took forever for him to reach the door and it was very difficult to get him out the door.

It was time for him to get in my vehicle - he was not able to do this after many attempts, and I ended up lifting him into my vehicle.

Upon arrival at the hospital, I pulled up to the curb and went and found a wheelchair. I lifted him into the wheelchair, went and parked the car, and then wheeled him to his wife's room.

The signing took a very long time, as he was very shaky and slow signing the documents. At the end of the signing he said he was going to stay at the hospital and have dinner with his wife and would call for a taxi to go home.

I have always wondered how that worked out for him as he cannot "motor on his own" and would need assistance into the house. More importantly, I have always wondered about the lending institution giving them a 30 year conventional mortgage at their ages!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.