123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Bait and switch notary pricing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  6:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PWinFL

I would never offer a receipt for services prior to receiving payment. I do however, start to fill out the receipt and then ask the signer how they will be making payment, cash or check. Once payment is received, the receipt is given in exchange.

Thanks PW, you raise a good point - I have not had a problem "my" way (yet) - but "your way" is better and can avoid problems in the future.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

KanDoNotary

Oklahoma
69 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  08:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit KanDoNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Routinely I get calls asking, "How much do you charge to notarize?"

I used to reply, "How long is a piece of string?" because it depends on many factors. When that analogy goes over their heads, I ask, "What kind of document and where am I going?"

With that base information I can quote an approximate price. Most of the time there's not a problem, but sometimes I get, "Just to stamp a piece of paper?"

I base my pricing on several things; time of day (traffic), place (high rise where I have to find a parking place, walk to and through building, etc.), conditions of facility (hospital ICU, infectious signer), and other things going on with me at the time of the request. If they want me to "come now", if I'm working on a project for a client, I'd have to drop everything to get to the notary assignment. I charge by the hour, so I factor that lost time into the price I quote. After all, there's only 24 hours in the day, and I like to sleep some of it All quotes take into consideration travel and the number of signatures involved.

If I can get them to make an appointment for later or the next day, the quote will be less. If I just don't want to be bothered, the quote will be more. After all, I'm running a business and they are contacting me to help them by providing a service. If they want to go to their bank the next day "for free," they have that option.

www.kandonotary.com
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  05:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would never offer a receipt for services prior to receiving payment. I do however, start to fill out the receipt and then ask the signer how they will be making payment, cash or check. Once payment is received, the receipt is given in exchange.

Also, the signers know exactly how much my services are going to cost before the signing and notarization takes place.

Even with apostille and document legalization processing, where fees can vary depending on many different variables, the quoted estimate and initial payment can be adjusted as the documents are processed. Again, the document custodian is kept abreast of the costs and are made aware that the initial quote is an estimate subject to revision. Also, whenever a revision to the expected fee changes by more than 10%, the client is provided with an update estimate. If the client adds or changes the process requirements, then the estimated fee is adjusted and a subsequent additional payment or a refund is provided.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  9:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh, New York City! Home of the "bait and switch", "the big con" and the ripoff. Most of my clients are very honest, but, having done this for over a decade has enhanced my "6th sense". When I get the "they aint gonna want to pay" feeling - a defensive procedure kicks in. I do all the notary work (I'm referring to individual notary jobs, not signings) then prepare my National Notary Association receipt. I hand the receipt to the client and await payment. (There is something I did NOT do) - more about that in a moment. Most clients pay upon receiving my receipt - but I have had a few either want to "reNegotiate the agreement or worse - actually "snatch" the (partially) notarized documents off the table!

In a very matter of fact voice I inform them that I follow a set procedure. The final part of the sequence is to prepare a receipt, collect my fee, give the notary oath, double check my work; then LASTLY to affix my signature. "The document(s) with my stamp and embossing that you have are not legally notarized until I sign it/them". "It would be a felony for you to forge my signature". "I think it would be best for all concerned for us to just conclude our business the way we both agreed when you contracted me to visit your location".

This does happen - not often. There is a provision in NY Notary law for the notary to be paid prior to rendering service. My sequence of events does place stamp/embosser on the documents prior to payment. If somebody wishes (this has never happened to me) to just take the documents "as is" to a different notary, without paying my fee - I guess they can do that. I'm certainly not going to get physical over a notary fee! However, with my stamp/embossing already on the documents it sure would "raise the eyebrows" of the next notary!

Kenneth A Edelstein
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  5:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What I learned, but never mastered was this. Its not what you charge, but how you charge it and when you charge it. If you charge $150 for a signing, but don't get paid, it doesn't matter what you charge. If you charge $20 for waiting time, but the client won't pay you for it, it doesn't work.

Telling people up front you want $20 wait time on the spot exactly 10 minutes after arrival if nothing gets started is one way of doing things. If you wait until the end of the signing to collect your wait fees, the customer can find excuses not to pay it.

Go to Top of Page

DianaNotary

California
171 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  4:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit DianaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Ken, it's a good idea to tell upfront that we charge a travel fee + "$" per each signature notarized.

Throughout the years, i found that it's a great idea to publish the rates ( i publish it on my web site and in all advertisements if i can). Also, i try to stay away from providing unpublished discounts...it's a headache, because each and every assignment is unique.

A while ago It happened that i got a call from a lady asking for a quote on about 60 signatures for her company..... (whow :) ) who wouldn't want to provide a deal for such business. Of course, i gave her a nice discount (waived the travel fee and discounted per signature fees) and everyone was happy. However, she called me in a couple of weeks with a request for another notarization with just 2 signatures for the same rate.......guess what the second time i provided the same deal (even though i didn't have to )....
so, yes, we have to be careful out there when quoting our notary services....

http://www.DianaNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  02:57:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think Ken knows the game well and covers all the bases in advance in an organized way. We should all learn to be professional like this.

Waiting fees?
Clients will be happy to drag you to a job at a particular time and keep you waiting. Attorneys and busy types (directors, top executives, not to mention unprepared dolt types) will keep you waiting without a second though.

If you aren't prepared enough to announce your waiting fees when initially asked what your fees are, you will eventually be in for a rude awakening. State not only what your waiting fee is, but when it is to be paid. Your travel fee can include the first 10 minutes waiting so as not to ruffle anybody's fur or feathers. After that it can be $10 for each 20 minutes or fraction thereof -- in unmarked bills of course!!

Travel fee to be paid either in advance by paypal, or at the door. Waiting fees at the BEGINNING of each 20 minute period. You don't want the clients to get the idea they can pay for it at the end and wiggle out. The no nonsense notaries are the ones who get paid, and the unprepared get stiffed. Learn from the pros!

This is an interesting topic for conversation and I bet we'll get many good points of view on it.

Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  12:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa T.

Always, always ask if the caller is the only person needing their signature notarized. Ask about a spouse or other person so your quote is accurate and you're not notarizing for free due to a misunderstanding.

When I give a quote I use the phrase "per signature notarized". That way if there are 14 people signing one document - I made it clear that the client would be charged for 14 notarizations.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  8:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
left]If Notaries aren't careful, they will be the victims of bait and switch customer requests. Most times they won't mention that a spouse is also signing. They call and ask questions about the fee as if they are the only signer. I will ask the customer about the paperwork and the total number of signatures to notarize and they will say "one or two, possibly more" and my next question is, "Will a spouse or other person need their signature notarized too?" Then they will reveal that the spouse also needs their signature notarized.

I quote the travel fee based on the city and then say "If you and your spouse are signing, that will be $20 for EACH document and you say you have three documents that need both of your signatures notarized....the cost is $XX for travel and $60 for six signatures notarized. I spell it all out so I don't show up and they have twelve signatures needing notarizing that they didn't bother to mention.

Be careful, the private individual can pull a bait and switch too and if the Notary doesn't ask the right questions up front, they could end up doing more work than they're being paid to do.

Always, always ask if the caller is the only person needing their signature notarized. Ask about a spouse or other person so your quote is accurate and you're not notarizing for free due to a misunderstanding.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  4:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is an interesting article courtesy of Ken. Its very interesting and applies to all notaries who do non-loan signing jobs for private individuals.

http://newyorkmobilenotarypublic.com/NYCNotary/

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.