123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Notary Tips
 Using a Stamp to sign in CA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  05:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lee-AR

I believe the answers to both these questions are, like many other Q&As, state-specific.
In AR, a notary can use a signature stamp--provided they go thru a legal process in the state to do that. However, a signer cannot.

I did know that AR (and a couple of others) do allow the notary to use a facsimile signature stamp in certain circumstances. The AR Handbook states: "The notary may use a facsimile signature and seal, such as a stamp or engraved reproduction, in lieu of the manual signature and rubber or embossed seal on commercial documents, except deeds or other documents for conveying real estate." The precludes its use in most notarizations that signing agents, and even many general notaries, are apt to do.

I also was unable to find a legal (legislated or case law) definition of an official signature as it pertains to the document signer(s). IMO, silence on this subject (facsimile signature stamps) does not necessarily mean that a document signer cannot use a facsimile stamp, just that its use and acceptance must be determined by the recipient of the document and/or other competent authority.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  03:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the answers to both these questions are, like many other Q&As, state-specific.
In AR, a notary can use a signature stamp--provided they go thru a legal process in the state to do that. However, a signer cannot.

Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  9:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes, exactly, they do have to make a mark using foot or mouth.
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  7:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dannotary

I had a severly disabled signer once who wanted to use a stamp for their signature which I thought would be humane and kind. After calling the NNA and State Notary division they said it would definatley not be allowed because there is too much room for abuse by family and workers in the home which made perfect sense to me.

That may be a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (as amended). It is because of the ADA that Florida modified their statutes and procedures to allow for signature facsimile stamps. I think the NNA and your notary division were off base in not accommodating the signer.

How would they respond had the signer lost both limbs? Make them sign with their feet or mouth? (Rhetorical question.)

Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  2:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a severly disabled signer once who wanted to use a stamp for their signature which I thought would be humane and kind. After calling the NNA and State Notary division they said it would definatley not be allowed because there is too much room for abuse by family and workers in the home which made perfect sense to me. They reminded me that the person has to be able to at least make a mark and proceed with signature by mark procedures. THis person did sign but with great difficulty. Thats the extent of my research into this.
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  6:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Teran

Can a borrower use a stamp to sign his or her name? I can across this last night and I said nope! But wasn't sure...now I'm curious.

Signer's signatures are a different story. Again, many jurisdictions do allow people who have special medical limitations to use facsimile signature stamps. I personally have done two closings where the signer used a stamp. Special considerations and citations may be required, such as the execution of the document must be witnessed by two witnesses, much the same as for someone signing by a mark.

Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  6:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I seriously doubt it, for a couple of reasons. One is that the signature you place on your notarial certificates must be the same signature that appears on your notary application. Chances are, you signed the application by hand. Second, many jurisdictions do not recognize facsimile signature stamps on official documents. (A notarial certificate is an official document of sorts.) However, many jurisdictions do allow facsimile signature stamps if a person is not able to write their signature by hand. This is something you may need to address with the CA SOS, since the CA Notary Manual doesn't state one way or the other when it comes to facsimile signature stamps.

Go to Top of Page

Alex Teran

California
2 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  2:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alex Teran's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's another thing I was thinking about...can I use a stamp to sign my name!? This would be cool

Alex Teran
Los Angeles County
Certified NNA Loan Signing Agent
vipdocs@aol.com
323-229-0322
Go to Top of Page

Alex Teran

California
2 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  1:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alex Teran's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can a borrower use a stamp to sign his or her name? I can across this last night and I said nope! But wasn't sure...now I'm curious.

Let me know, thanks
Alex T
Los Angeles County NP

Alex Teran
Certified NNA Loan Signing Agent
vipdocs@aol.com
323-229-0322
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.