123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Seriously??? I was offered $50 today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

California
8 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  4:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit 8702's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your not the Captain and certainly not steering this boat. Notaries are sailing in shark infested waters. Companies and Notary Closing businesses negotiating lower fees with title companies competing for their business. All you can do is set your price and live with your decision. I probably turn down at least $300. to $500. worth of business a month. Because as sure as I am typing this. If you commit to a low paying closing you will get another signing call for around the same time in a different city for more money. I will let these companies know up front that I won't put the key in the ignition for less than my minimum and then say good-by and hangup. There will always be another notary who is lacking the experience and understanding of what professional closing agents are required to perform.
Many of us who have stuck it out now see our fees being compromised. Stand your ground without going hungry and keep up the great work because that in itself has repeat business.
Go to Top of Page

dbillman

Florida
29 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  11:16:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit dbillman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have not been getting as many really low-ball offers as I have in the past, but last week was an eye opener. I was called on Sun, Halloween night at 9:30 pm for a "last min closing that had to be signed that night and was only 60 miles away" for $75. When I declined, they stated they could give me $100 because of the hr and the distance. On a positive note, they understood when I had to decline again. On a negative note, they did not ask what price I would do it at. Must mean they knew they could find someone else to do it at that price. Not sure how we turn this boat around.

Go to Top of Page

DianaNotary

California
171 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  4:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit DianaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, $50 project is not worth the time and effort to close the deal. Lately, I had a couple of signing companies offering this fee, and I just blocked their phone numbers, so I don’t waist my time on the cheap call. Seriously, such a low fee for the loan is not acceptable, even during these hard times.

http://www.DianaNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

joanbergst

California
360 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  8:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit joanbergst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think Shannon is correct about the increasing loan signings in CA.

The signings are going to be better in South Orange County than they will be in the Inland Empire, where I do signings.

With that said, I have had more calls in the last 2 months, for loan signings, than I have had since 2007.

CA has lost almost 65,000 notaries since 2008 and I am sure we will lose many more thousands, in 2010, and that gives the notaries who are still commissioned many more opportunities for notary work.

http://www.joanbergstromnotarypublic.com

Joan Bergstrom
24/7 To Riverside & San Bernardino Counties.
CA State Notary Exam Instructor For www.notaryclasses.com
www.joanbergstromnotarypublic.com
joan.bergstrom@yahoo.com
Cell: 951-522-4919
Go to Top of Page

Shannon

California
360 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  2:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shannon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since April of this year [2010], I have seen my business increase to levels not seen since 2006. Perhaps this is only the CA market but with re-fi's booming I've seen absolutely no price reduction...in fact, I'm being paid more on average per deal.

Last Thursday, I arrived home at what I thought was the end of my day after completion of three signings at about 5:30PM. I received three consecutive phone calls ordering 7 signings (all at $175.00 pricepoint) to be completed over the next 5 days and a pair of piggy-back signings for that night (for $300.00).

I have avoided signings in the $50 range somehow...those who call me know I charge $25 just for printing and my Orange County Signings are normally $150.

Any Notary Signing Agent that has been around long enough to stay in business more than one year knows that you cannot survive if you charge $50 per signing. Those who accept such work consistently will not be in business for the long run. $50 signings are a great way for newbies to "cut their teeth" and learn the do's and don'ts. Any hiring entity that offers $50 for a signing will receive exactly what they have paid for=less experience, less professionalism and more mistakes.

"A Quick Note"
www.aquicknote.net
Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/aquicknote
Go to Top of Page

KanDoNotary

Oklahoma
69 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  8:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit KanDoNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like Copperhead, I've been evaluating my offering signing agent services under the current devaluation mindset. The job I did today was a real eye-opener.

The job today required me to not only print off the .pdf files of 200+ pages (separate borrower, title and closing files), but to make three copies of the HUD and attachments, then fax back 10 pages. I realized as I was preparing the docs that I was making the copies that would usually have been made at the title/lending companies for their files. After 1.5 hours printing the various .pdf files and the extra copies, driving through construction zones to the borrower (not used in the calculations of "it's only 20 minutes away"...from my post office box address), having the borrower go through each page to correct an incorrect middle initial (1.5 hrs) back to my office to fax, then to the drop, I realized most of the day had been spent on one closing. Now I get to wait at least 30 days for payment.

I, too, remember the days of overnight packages with fees of $150 to take the 100 or fewer papers to the borrower, then to drop the provided return envelop package at the appropriate courier.

I know those days are gone, and that everyone is trying to "get the best deal." But everything has a cost and nothing is free. The plumber doesn't let me tell him how much I'll pay. And the borrower doesn't tell the lending company how much they will pay for the loan I'm closing. I like to bargain also, but I know I have to pay for value received.
Go to Top of Page

CopperheadVA

Virginia
420 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  3:59:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karen, I have been getting extremely low offers lately as well. Not as low as $50 but still pretty low. I'm just at the point where I am so disappointed and disgusted and am really feeling hopeless about this business that I used to enjoy working in.

What these companies don't seem to get is that our services have VALUE. The notarizations themselves have VALUE. Printing docs using our equipment is a convenience for the TC, SS, and lender, and this service has VALUE. Traveling to the borrower's location has VALUE. Making sure everything is properly signed and notarized and shipped back in a timely manner has VALUE. For these companies to routinely offer $50, $65, $70, or $85 is a slap in the face.

I used to get $150 all day long just two or three years ago. I have already lowered my fees 20 - 30% just so I can keep working. I have lowered them to the point where I am not happy but I can deal with it. I will NOT go any lower, yet I am continually called with ever lower and lower offers.

I have found that a typical loan package in my state has 10 - 12 notarizations. I can charge $5 per notarization here in VA. So the VALUE of the notarizations alone is $50 or $60. Am I supposed to print, travel, and provide signing agent and shipping services for free??? UGH!!!

Like I said, I am feeling utterly dejected about how low these companies expect us to go.

CopperheadVA

Edited by - CopperheadVA on 07/16/2010 4:00:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  08:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an oldie, I can tell you that 'back in the day' when all packages were overnighted--they paid more than you were just offered. Matter of fact, when edocs first began, $50 & sometimes more was the going rate--just for the edocs, then your normal fee was added to that.

Go to Top of Page

n/a

New Jersey
1 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  10:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been a member for a while, but haven't posted much, but this is the 2nd time in 1 wk that i have TURNED down an assignment for $50.00. Not to mention both areas were at least 30 minutes and during rush hour that adds more time.

A known signing company who I've dealt with for many years tells me their price for Edocs is $50.00 for re-fi's. I know the economy is not well, but heck, I have expenses too....$50.00? that was back in the day when the borrower was over-nighted the package, no printing dupe copies....ect...Am I dreaming? Is this happening to others? I would really like to know.

I'm in NJ and if the company's map says its only 30 minutes from your area it shouldn't be much of a travel....yes, I understand they are looking at a map, but I'm at the Jersey Shore and when you want me to travel to Long Beach Island on a Friday afternoon in the summer for $50.00???? I do ask for my fee and stick to it, my services and time are worth that much, which of course gets the comment "we'll keep you on file when something else comes up in your area" I just don't get it, I'm sure someone else took the job for $50.00, so sad...I could use the money too, but I won't lower myself and the last 9 years of experience to that. I've been doing this for over 9 years now and I respect this business. Anyone else getting lower fee's offered?

Karen Jarvie
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.