123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Technical & Marketing Issues
 Distance you will travel?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redhots22

California
11 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  08:23:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit redhots22's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,

A few weeks ago I posted my availability of my Marketing Resources. I was inundated with several emails with requests for them. Then I realized something. There are a lot of people in need of training in the Practice of a Signing Agent and Basic Marketing skills. I realized that even if I sent the info over, will they benefit from it and know how to put it into use??? In Our industry we are given tests and books, yet no real information to help us suceed. I've been there! Well I came up with a One-on-One "school" concept that will allow me to coach fellow Notaries in becomming more sucessful in what they do. I will teach you the practice of a Signing Agent in person and out in the Field and how to better market your business to get you more signings. I figure if I can do it then others can. Email me today if you are interested in my School or would like specific details. I welcome everyone and I can assure you that it will be affordable and a worthwile investment. apa_gal@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  05:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I currently only work in my immediate area about 10-20 miles r/t. I like it better that way. I live in Los Angeles and as most of you who live here know the traffic is outrageous. I use to cover the entire county but those days are long gone. It s better to have someone in the area of the borrower take care of it then me dealing with all the stresses of the traffic. I receive a handsome fee for my services regardless of distance.

~Carmen
Go to Top of Page

kcg

Indiana
33 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  8:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russ - 200 Miles One Way????? Please tell me how much you are paid for these trips. My price shoots to $150/200 if I am having to travel more than 25 miles one way. I am in the country - you are in the wilderness. I cannot even imagine having to drive that much - the people needing your services sure are lucky to have you!
Go to Top of Page

Russ_WY

Wyoming
10 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  11:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russ_WY's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very rural up here too. I can't use the "by county" method because our counties are huge and there are only 23 in the entire state. I have to base mine on mileage to most major cities. Major is a loose term. We barely have 50,00 here in Casper and in Cheyenne, the next largest is about 30,000 and some only have a few hundred. Heck, the whole state is barely 500,000 people.

I have what I call a "Cheat Sheet" that lists the more common cities and the mileage/drive time (R/T). I pretty much use the federal standard mileage allowance for trips beyond 30 miles. I'll travel 200 miles one way sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

Florida
4 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  9:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two mult-function laser printers and they never take more than 20 minutes to print two copies of package. It sounds like you're having a technical problem with computer and printer, maybe settings and communications between. I have to set my printer to 300 dpi from 600 dpi or it takes longer to print.

Are you using laser printer. If so, your internet service provider's speed may be an issue. You can pay for larger file receipt services and faster speeds. PDF files should print quickly.

Go to Top of Page

cnaylor

California
32 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  12:32:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit cnaylor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skaasa

Downloading from a website is good, most pdf files aren't. Some pdf file docs take 10 mins & some take an hour to print. Very tedious. Anyone have any advice on how to deal with printing pdf files that take forever to print?

Susan Kaasa

If you have the option to download the pdf (or anyfile format) vs print online, do so. You may be dealing with timeout issues on an internet site during the printing process if printing live.

Why might you have this issue? With out geting to technicle, because either your connection speed is faster than your printer and your printer is bottlenecking the process, and your printer memory, and or computer cashe can't buffer it, or just the oppisite, your printer is faster than your connection speed, and the printer has to wait for the download, and might loose partial packets, and have to request them again and again while waiting for the connection.

Craig/CA
Go to Top of Page

cnaylor

California
32 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  12:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit cnaylor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting question, as have some of the posts. I don't have a set mileage, I have a time frame. Located in LA on a weekend I'll cover the entire county (save Landcaster area), and some adjoining counties. But on a week day, I base my decisions for out of immediate area, on the time of day, and what freeways are needed to get to the client. Some combinations of freeways I will travel fairly long distances in rush hour. Other freeways, I won't travel during rush hour on at all. For example, Last week I had a signing in Huntington Beach (Orange county) at 6:00pm. 32 miles away, took me 45 minutes there, 30 back. I also had a signing in Glendale at 5:00pm (different day), 16 miles away, 1 1/2 hours to get there, just over an hour to return. Should have taken less than 30 minutes each way, but another freeway was closed due to a hazardus spill, and traffic was being rerouted on a section of freeway I needed to use. Any signing in the LAX area, only 40 miles away, during Rush hour (theres a joke in and of it's self, on some freeways in LA rush hour begins at 5:30 am and does not end until 8:00pm or later) is 2 1/2 hours away.

Craig/CA
Go to Top of Page

skaasa

California
4 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  12:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit skaasa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I service San Mateo County which is the County adjacent to San Francisco. Distance isn't an issue but a short time frame for a loan signing certainly is because of the traffic jams. I know I can't take a signing at 5pm, print docs & get even 15 miles away, at that time, within one hour.

My County is perhaps 50 miles in length but knowing how long it takes to get to a particular City at what times has been more of a problem than distance. The variable that gets me everytime is how the docs are packaged and delivered for printing. Downloading from a website is good, most pdf files aren't. Some pdf file docs take 10 mins & some take an hour to print. Very tedious. Anyone have any advice on how to deal with printing pdf files that take forever to print?

Susan Kaasa
Go to Top of Page

dfye@mcttelecom.com

New Hampshire
681 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  10:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit dfye@mcttelecom.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In my case, distance is not an issue. I travel the entire State of New Hampshire (roughly 300 miles up and down). I do, however, negotiate fees after a 50 mile trip one way. Sometimes my companies are willing to pay (depending on whether or not they can find a closer notary) and other times they are not. Most of the signings I have done lately are a two hour trip one way.

Legal Eagle Para Professional Services
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  12:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in a very rural area too, and EVERYTHING is at least 30-45 minutes away. My fee structure is based on $xxx for my home county and $xxx for other counties served - anything outside my service area is subject to an additional travel fee by agreement. I have gone outside my service area because the companies have told me "we have no one out in that area" (music to my ears!!)

I don't so much try to limit travel as I try to keep it under control - for example if I get a call to go to a signing an hour and a half away I give them my fee (which is usually my other county fee plus $20-$25.00) but I let them know they can, more than likely, find someone closer and cheaper - but I'm more than willing to help. If they say okay to my fee, heck, I'll go.. now I just make sure I can do it on time or I tell them to make the appt. a bit later to allow for travel.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

MountainQueen

Alabama
84 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  07:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit MountainQueen's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Edited by - MountainQueen on 05/02/2007 04:55:46 AM
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.