123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Newbie & Mentoring Section
 How to become a Signing Company
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  8:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Notarykat

Does anyone know how to start a signing company?

Notarykat

A Lobotomy would be a good first step.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

MsLisa

New York
18 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  12:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been doing this for approximately two years. I did find a time when things were very quiet. I decided to review again, go on-line and I signed up with more agencies. Since then, I've booked more work. It takes time to figure out which companies are good to work for and which ones just want the job done for cheap, cheap, cheap. I've learned, so if I can't get my price, I don't go. I also started working for companies that are more reputable and respect the job of a Notary, therefore, they are willing to pay for the service. Just stick with it and you learn, sometimes the hard way. I found that these forums do help a great deal.

Lisa Cirillo
Go to Top of Page

jgdean

North Carolina
21 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2012 :  06:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit jgdean's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been doing this on and off for over eight years.
Today, I am full time, 24/7...

Over the years, I've seen Newbie Notaries come and go and under bid and do lousy jobs. So, they disapear... but, in some cases, their listings are still lingering...

Also, there's been a rash of new Signing Services popping up asking me to do singings for rediculously low prices. I negotiate something higher, and if they are not flexible, then I let them go.

My work, my time, my reputaion is worth something and I refuse to prostitute myself for say, $50 - 60 for a full package.

Me, I just press on with secure, reliable service and usually get more more work these days.

The first to call in N. Central North Carolina!
Go to Top of Page

n/a

Texas
1 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  5:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanDoNotary

I've had the same issue of a reduction in work due to an influx of notaries advertising services in this area. I know I get a lot more "shopping" calls for other than loan notary work. At one point my husband suggested I might start a signing company. After seeing what some others have dealt with, I told him no way.

So I'm taking all the great advice from Vince and doing more marketing, working on upgrading my website, and generally waiting til the newbies learn that there's more to it than getting their notary commission and seal. Soon they'll realize they have expenses that aren't being covered for the time they put in, and they'll go away again.

Have Seal, Kan Travel!

Go to Top of Page

KanDoNotary

Oklahoma
69 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  5:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit KanDoNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've had the same issue of a reduction in work due to an influx of notaries advertising services in this area. I know I get a lot more "shopping" calls for other than loan notary work. At one point my husband suggested I might start a signing company. After seeing what some others have dealt with, I told him no way.

So I'm taking all the great advice from Vince and doing more marketing, working on upgrading my website, and generally waiting til the newbies learn that there's more to it than getting their notary commission and seal. Soon they'll realize they have expenses that aren't being covered for the time they put in, and they'll go away again.

Have Seal, Kan Travel!
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  4:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really need more work. The area I am in has a dozen or so of part-timers or second jobbers and they must out bid me for the closings.

I have listed myself in more than one county, almost never do I have to go back a second time to resign, I get the packages out on time, I don't demand anything, I am polite to the customers. It just doesn't make sense to me that I don't have enough work to make ends meet.

Notarykat

Would it be true that you'd really like to handle more closings personally than having a primary interest in becoming a signing service? Assuming that is true, have you reviewed the information here (and elsewhere) on how to market the services you offer? If you have reviewed it, it may be time to re-review. It is important to stay in touch with companies that are going to use your services, even when times are slow and this business is certainly up and down.

Even if you are still thinking about being a signing service, any company that is going to be successful needs to be able to get the message out on what service is provided, how it is provided, why it is a better alternative than the local competition, what the cost is and so on. Regardless of what your business is, you need a message so that those that need your services will know more about you and are inclined to want to do business with you.

The first person that needs to be convinced that you are the best alternative is you. Figure out why that is true. If it isn’t true, consider working for someone else and enjoy the security of a paycheck and benefits. Well, that’s an opinion anyway.
Go to Top of Page

kandy1099

Pennsylvania
121 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  07:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit kandy1099's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found that taking the last minute appointments, late nite appointments and weekend appointments help boost my reputaion, it helps to help out a company when they are in need, and it gives you an opportunity to charge a little above your norm, because of the above and beyond you are performing for them.
I worked for a title company for 5 years in the closing department and know what they are going through when they call me begging me to take something for a hour from now two hours away from me.
I considered become a local signing company, but like other people have said here, it takes alot of money to stay on top of things and depend on other unknown notaries to do the work under your reputation.

Go to Top of Page

Notarykat

North Carolina
25 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  06:52:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really need more work. The area I am in has a dozen or so of part-timers or second jobbers and they must out bid me for the closings.

I have listed myself in more than one county, almost never do I have to go back a second time to resign, I get the packages out on time, I don't demand anything, I am polite to the customers. It just doesn't make sense to me that I don't have enough work to make ends meet.

Notarykat
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  5:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Notarykat

Kathy,
It would be interesting to know your business objectives on establishing a signing service. Do you envision this being started as a local regional or national enterprise? Many that seem to have come and gone entered the business with the idea of capturing many of the title companies with a "better service for less money objective." They would like to pay a pay a seasoned notary $50 to $95 for e-docs and collect $105 to $150 from the title company. So far, we've seen many have dried up as some of the notaries that worked for the lower fee levels did not perform up to expectations and the signing service was held accountable for re-dos, errors and delayed funding fees. Then to, a loan would not fund for whatever reason and not all the title companies want to pay for the service performed.

Just curious as to how much thought you've given this idea so far. Perhaps you have an outline of your business plan and would like to run some of your ideas by prospective notaries. What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

CopperheadVA

Virginia
420 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  04:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have to have access to a lot of capital because you still owe the notaries timely payment regardless of when - or if - the title company pays you. Even really good signing agents have burned their notary community bridges by starting a signing service that went belly-up. Anyone remember NDWA who ran 1st Courtesy Signers Network????

CopperheadVA

Edited by - CopperheadVA on 11/09/2009 04:23:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  11:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
You should start any venture with a business plan. The following link is your best start, IMHO:

http://www.score.org/template_gallery.html?gclid=COyG_MyR_J0CFShSagodBVwqpw
Go to Top of Page

Notarykat

North Carolina
25 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  11:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Notarykat
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.