123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Inmate Identification - Need Help ASAP Pls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  1:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
To clarify a little more regarding my statement: The jail won't allow credible witnesses on the facility grounds.

A Notary is considered an "official" visitor for the purpose of "official" business - you are treated like an attorney. Regular visitors have visiting hours and must call and make an appointment. They visit the inmate in a large room at "stations" - these stations have a stool, a phone receiver and the visitor speaks to the inmate through thick plexiglass, just like we see on Law and Order or other legal TV shows. There's no privacy as there are at least twelve stations in the room. So at least twelve people are visiting their loved one or friend at the same time.

Notaries and Attorneys see the inmate in a small 3' x 5' room that has a locked door. The Notary is given the key and the keytag either says LEGAL or ATTORNEY on it. There is a metal screen between the inmate and Notary and both can address each other personally, as opposed to speaking through a phone receiver and seeing them through plexiglass. There's enough room under the metal screen to pass a page or two, the thumbprinter and a pen. In fact, at one of those jails, the only part of the pen that fits through the screen is the refill part....you have to take the pen apart and use only the refill part.

At the two jails I notorize at, the Notary does not have to call ahead and make an appointment nor are they limited to normal visiting hours. Believe me, I checked. I can show up there anytime I want since it's an "official" visit - and I have shown up outside of visiting hours. Credible witnesses are not "official" visitors so they are restricted to the hours and rules regarding a regular visitor. The jail would not allow them in the "official" business room that Notaries and Attorneys can utilize, at least not at the two jails I notarize at.

Edited by - Lisa T. on 10/29/2009 1:35:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  05:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
THE FOLLOWING PERTAINS ONLY TO FLORIDA NOTARIES:

Included in the list of acceptable forms of identification in section 117.05(5), Florida Statutes, is the Florida Department of Corrections inmate identification card for an inmate who is in the custody of the department. When a person is taken into custody and housed in a state prison, all forms of identification are confiscated and the inmate is issued a department identification card.

Generally, when inmates require notarial services, those services are provided by a notary employed by the Department of Corrections. Occasionally, though, a notary outside the department may be asked to go to the facility for the purpose of notarizing for an inmate. In this instance, the notary may rely upon the DOC identification card as proof of identity.

The card is made of hard plastic, similar to a credit card, and contains the inmate’s name, inmate identification number, date of birth, photo, and physical description. However, the card does not contain the inmate’s signature. Upon release from custody, a sticker is placed on the card indicating that the inmate has been released and the date of the release. The inmate may use this card temporarily until he or she can obtain a proper identification card or driver’s license from the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

Florida law provides that this card may be used only “for an inmate who is in the custody of the department.” Therefore, a notary may not accept this card as identification after the person is discharged from prison.

You can use a Affidavit by the Corrections Officer (see http://www.pawnotary.com/forms/FL_certificates/Affidavit%20of%20Confiscation%20of%20Identification.pdf) as identification in local, city and county facilities where a Florida DOC ID is not available. Be sure to arrange a visit and clear the use of the form with the facility prior to your arrival.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

Lita

California
29 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  6:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Lisa, you really helped me, I wasn't aware of the creditible witness not being allowed on the grounds. I've let the attorney know.

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa T.

I should have said: Unless somehow the attorney can contact the inmate's family member to see if they would know where the ID is amongst the inmate's personal affects, and someone will hand deliver the actual current gov't issued ID to you....

Lita Caddick
CaddicksNotary@verizon.net
www.CaddicksNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  5:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I should have said: Unless somehow the attorney can contact the inmate's family member to see if they would know where the ID is amongst the inmate's personal affects, and someone will hand deliver the actual current gov't issued ID to you....
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  5:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unless somehow the attorney can contact the inmate's family member to see if they would know where the ID is amongst the inmate's personal affects, then, you are correct..... it's a no-go. The jail won't allow credible witnesses on the facility grounds.
Go to Top of Page

Lita

California
29 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  5:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just called one of the jails in that county and they do not have ID's, the best they can do is "maybe" run the booking photo, but it will not have a signature or serial # etc. So I would guess this is a no go as far a getting something notarized right?

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa T.

Credible witnesses personally know the document signer and take a verbal oath stating this and they do this in the presence of the doc signer. The credible witnesses must present to you their valid ID's to be recorded in your journal and they will sign your journal. I notarize at West Valley Detention Center and Glen Helen Rehabilitation Center and all inmates have an ID card that they must have clipped to their jumpsuit at all times. It has their photo, booking number (same as serial number), and complete description. I called the facilities and was told these ID cards were issued by the CA Dept. of Corrections. Call the county jail personally and ask the attendant what type of ID the inmate has. Plus you need to call the county jail anyway to find out their requirements for notarizing at the jail, plus their hours, when the inmate's mealtimes are....you don't want to show up at mealtime and be stuck waiting around, etc.

You cannot take a purse or phone in the facility, so you must leave it in the car. Buy a clear plastic tote bag to take only the minimum in the facility which will be your ID, notary certificate - take the original and make a photocopy, sometimes they'll accept a photocopy, other times they want to see the original, your seal, journal, thumbprint pad and a pen. You could miss calls for other work so I hope you are charging well for this. Good luck.

Lita Caddick
www.CaddicksNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  4:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Credible witnesses personally know the document signer and take a verbal oath stating this and they do this in the presence of the doc signer. The credible witnesses must present to you their valid ID's to be recorded in your journal and they will sign your journal. I notarize at West Valley Detention Center and Glen Helen Rehabilitation Center and all inmates have an ID card that they must have clipped to their jumpsuit at all times. It has their photo, booking number (same as serial number), and complete description. I called the facilities and was told these ID cards were issued by the CA Dept. of Corrections. Call the county jail personally and ask the attendant what type of ID the inmate has. Plus you need to call the county jail anyway to find out their requirements for notarizing at the jail, plus their hours, when the inmate's mealtimes are....you don't want to show up at mealtime and be stuck waiting around, etc.

You cannot take a purse or phone in the facility, so you must leave it in the car. Buy a clear plastic tote bag to take only the minimum in the facility which will be your ID, notary certificate - take the original and make a photocopy, sometimes they'll accept a photocopy, other times they want to see the original, your seal, journal, thumbprint pad and a pen. You could miss calls for other work so I hope you are charging well for this. Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

Lita

California
29 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  4:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am being asked to do a notarization for someone in county jail. I have informed the attorney I need either one of the standard types of ID or a inmate card issued by the Dept of Corrections. He is telling me that the Dept of Corrections is only for people who are in state prison custody and this person only has a bracelet. In this case can I use two crediable witnesses (employees at the jail) that know who he is but don't necessarily personally know him? Is there something I am not aware of?

Lita

Lita Caddick
www.CaddicksNotary.com
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.