123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Depositions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

inotarize

Alabama
55 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  9:28:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit inotarize's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I completed four (4) telephone depositions this year. Twice I was asked to get on the phone and speak with the judge or attorney and tell them how I ID the person. Another time I was required to mail a notarized jurat to the court.

Wish I could do more of these.

Michelle L. Riley
Huntsville Mobile Notary - We Come To You!
Serving North Alabama since 2006.
Phone: (256) 503-6595
Email: HuntsvilleMobileNotary@Gmail.com
http://www.huntsvillemobilenotary.com
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/iNotarize

Go to Top of Page

zanger

16 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  06:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LindaH

As a notary you're not really conducting the deposition - you meet with the person being deposed, check their ID, the teleconference is initiated, and you swear them in - done.
Your sentence ending in "done" reminds me of the official notary guide put out by the state that says after the swear-in, the notary's job is done and needs to leave. I find that position by the state quite strange because at any deposition I ever went to the notary doing the swearing-in was a court reporter that remained throughout.

My speculation is the the state is so extreme because the state bar is so extreme. At one time in Florida notaries could actually ask the questions in a deposition, but then a court ruled they could not. There was lots of controversy at the time because the statute used to forbid notaries from was written many decades before the court and bar discovered the law barred notaries from asking questions in depositions.

In any event, in Florida do not ask questions in a deposition. Providing low cost alternative to lawyers is an extremely serious crime in Florida.
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  11:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey PWinFL (Paul) -

Would you accept $.50 to take a deposition? LOL...oh my - I know I wouldn't .... awful lot of exposure there for $.50. Although I suppose 100 words could be taken up in the identification process and the oath...

Wow...$.50 - to the other Paul, that's why I started my post with "In FL.." - didn't realize you could take depo's in TX. And for what it's worth, for $.50 I wouldn't do them. TX needs to look at their fee schedule....yeesh..

MHO

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  10:24:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Taking depositions can be very involved. How much so, for a Texas notary is unclear. (See the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure - Chapter 39 Depositions And Discovery) Florida does not authorize notaries to take depositions so what others are saying is the way we work. I don't know what would be involved for you, Paul, but I'm sure the attorney that is hiring you will provide you with what is expected. It may be as simple as swearing in the deponent. But, I'm guessing it may be more than that.

If you do a Google search for "Taking Depositions", you will find lots of articles on how to take a good deposition, what new attorneys need to focus on, etc.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  08:16:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't done many as there isn't a lot of that type of business--at least here. However, couple years ago was offered $85 for 3 miles from home & perhaps 15 minutes on location--most of that was spent waiting for the phone call from the court. As previous poster said, you just ID them, state to court that you have done so, swear 'em in--and leave.

Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  07:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Texas notaries ARE authorized to take depositions.

"A Notary Public is a public servant with statewide jurisdiction who is authorized to take acknowledgments, protest instruments permitted by law to be protested (primarily negotiable instruments and bills and notes), administer oaths, take depositions, and certify copies of documents not recordable in the public records." (Source: http://www.sos.state.tx.us/statdoc/edinfo.shtml)

The fee for "Taking the depositions of witnesses, for each 100 words" is a whopping 50ยข!

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com

Edited by - PWinFL on 09/14/2009 12:16:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  05:36:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In FL a notary is called when there is to be a telephone deposition. As a notary you're not really conducting the deposition - you meet with the person being deposed, check their ID, the teleconference is initiated, and you swear them in - done. There may or may not be a form provided by the attorneys for you to sign that you identified them and they are who they say they are.

Refer to your handbook for applicable fees. This work would probably be a minimal fee of whatever your handbook says you can charge for it plus a modest travel fee.

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell
Go to Top of Page

n/a

Texas
2 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  10:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anybody had experiance with depositions and can you make any money doing them?

Paul
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.