123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Question of the day
 Question 11 - Jurat stamps?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HighDesertNotary

California
12 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  11:32:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a jurat stamp and am working on designing an ack stamp that will fit in my briefcase... it's getting a bit full.

With the exception of my seals, of course, I design all of my own loose forms and stamps. It's just a personal preference. This is what my jurat stamp looks like:

http://www.highdesertnotary.com/images/jurat%20stamp_1.5x3.jpg

The image itself is rather large, but the stamp is actually 1.5" x 3" and I've found it to be just the perfect size. The signer(s) names have a line to themselves, so there's plenty of room.

The ack stamp is another thing. I still haven't been able to get it to a size that I like yet.

For times when I have to use a loose form, I always use a stamp on the signature page that indicates a loose form is attached. I designed these as well. Because California has such strict wording requirements for certificates, these stamps reference the applicable state code. Often, people grouse about my not using the pre-printed wording on their documents. By citing the code, it puts the "blame" on the state, not me. I always like to give people a tangible reference instead of relying on my word. You can see those here:

http://www.highdesertnotary.com/images/attachstamps.jpg

------
www.highdesertnotary.com
Serving Northern Los Angeles and Southeastern Kern Counties of California
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  5:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I too have ack and jurat stamps, but don't hardly use them at all. I don't have an Attested Copy stamp because, as Robert pointed out, the certificate is rather lengthy. However, since I'm the one making the copy, and I usually do it in my own office, I have a Word document with just the certificate. Then I adjust the margins to where I want the certificate printed on the copy. Works great. Just a thought that you may do the same. The same procedure works for general acks and jurats too, if necessary, and if the document signing takes place in my office.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

FlaNotary

Florida
59 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  5:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit FlaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have both an acknowledgment and a jurat stamp. I don't have to use them all that often, because most of the certificates I am presented with can be fixed with a few minor revisions, which I do by hand. I avoid loose certificates at all costs. I don't particularly think it is good practice to use them... I know in California, your acknowledgments are so long and the wording is so specific that there is barely room on a document to include the required wording, and if the wording already present is incorrect you really have no choice but to attach a loose one. But in Florida, our acknowledgments can be very short and do not have to utilize the specific wording set forth in the statutes.

I use an Ideal 300 stamp for both the ack and the jurat. I would like to get a stamp for photocopy attestations, but the certificates we are required to use are a whole paragraph - much like the acks in California - and I am concerned that the writing would be too small to photocopy or fax well. I've looked into getting hand stamps (that are not self-inking) for copy attestations, but then I wouldn't be able to find an ink pad large enough

Robert T. Koehler
Notary Public for the State of Florida
State-Approved Notary Educator

Commissioner of Deeds for the State of Florida in the Bahamas
Commissioner of Deeds for the State of New Hampshire
Certified Loan Signing Agent
AAWO Accredited Wedding Officiant
www.NotaryWeddings.com
www.NotaryAcademy.org
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  09:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Acknowledgement and a Jurat inked stamp is essential IMO. I have had them for a couple of years now. They save allot of time. They are especially useful when you have a borrower that has a document that has enough room where you can just stamp and notarize the actual document and don't have to attach a certificate. Although we use certificates frequently I like it much better and IMO safer when the notarization is on the actual document. Plus I have had a few folks that have insisted that they were told that they had to have the notarization on the actual doc. So rather than have a debate on this if they have enough room I kindly oblige them.

Carmen
Go to Top of Page

DianaNotary

California
171 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  09:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit DianaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Having a jurat stamp is a great idea. I ordered my jurat stamp when I just started in this business, and ever since I am using it. Besides the fact that it is convenient it is also practical. Also, more people prefer a stamp on the actual document rather than a loose acknowledgement. [ I am a California Notary Public and by law it’s up to the signer to choose how his signature is notarized: either jurat or acknowledgement].

Just for info, this is the correct jurat wording for California:
State of California
County of _______________
Subscribed and sworn to (or affirmed) before me on this _____ day of _____________________, 20_____, by __________________________, proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence to be the person(s) who appeared before me.

http://www.DianaNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

MrEdinCa

8 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  07:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the contrary, I like my Ca. Ack stamp. Yes, it is rather large but when the document does have the space for it,& the notary stamp, I much prefer it over attaching a loose certificate.

Both the Ca. Jurat & Ack. stamp have the space problem if there is more than one signer, &, if you don't have a pen that writes with a fine line ,to write in the small space provided for the name of the signer.
Go to Top of Page

joanbergst

California
360 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  8:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit joanbergst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think the purchase of a Calif ack stamp is a good idea.
Most documents will not have the space available for the ack verbiage and the notary commission seal.

The jurat verbiage is very short and that is why I carry a jurat stamp. Lisa is correct that there is not much room on most jurat stamps for the signer(s) name and the notary signature. If I have 2 signers I just hang the 2nd signature off the line.

Just my opinion and maybe other notaries have have a different experience or opinion?

Joan Bergstrom
24/7 To Riverside & San Bernardino Counties.
CA State Notary Exam Instructor For www.notaryclasses.com
www.joanbergstromnotarypublic.com
joan.bergstrom@yahoo.com
Cell: 951-522-4919
Go to Top of Page

MrEdinCa

8 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  5:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big is that Ca Ack stamp you custom ordered? (Sounds like it could be a whooper!) I use, depending on the occasion, a CA jurat stamp & Ca Ack stamp, & you are right, there is not much room for everything that is needed. It seems the Ca. Jurat stamp gets used a lot because not many lenders/title companies use the Ca. compliant wording.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  2:10:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the link to the company I was able to design a customized jurat stamp, and the stamp cost no more than a non-customized jurat stamp ordered from some other company.

http://www.laserrubberstamps.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  2:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have since ordered a custom jurat stamp - I say custom because I was able to design it to the size and font I wanted so there's plenty of room for clients names and my signature. I ordered the largest stamp they make - the Trodat Printy 4926. CA acknowledgment wording seems to be too much to fit in a stamp. I'd like to know where I can order an acknowledgment stamp.
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  3:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have both...I love them. When a client wants the actual document itself stamped (providing there is enough room) a jurat and or acknowledgment stamp comes in real handy. I don't particularly like to attach loose certificates. For one they can be lost or reattached to other things if you don't use the ones that have you write a description of the document or emboss the certificate and the document together.

Carmen

Go to Top of Page

CopperheadVA

Virginia
420 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  10:40:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have personalized ack, jurat, and copy certification stamps. I got them in July 2007 when Virginia went to mandatory same-page notarization. No loose certs allowed. I grew to really like the idea, because I feel it does help prevent fraud. However, in July 2008 it went back to loose certs being acceptable, provided the name of the person who's signature is being notarized is included in the loose certificate. Same page notarization is preferable by VA if at all possible.

I do like the ack & jurat stamp to include a line for me to write the name of the person who's signature I am notarizing. In fact, I wish it had two lines for when I have two signatures to notarize on same doc.

CopperheadVA

Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  8:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use only loose certificates. I have yet to find an ack or jurat stamp with enough space to write in "myname, notary public" and the client's name. I even custom ordered one and had to send it back.
It just wouldn't do. Once I had a borrower with a name like: Elizabeth Geraldine Martinelli Christopherson. So the jurat stamp is all of 4 inches and the name would extend another 6 inches with my writing. What if she had a spouse? Yikes!!!
Go to Top of Page

apaloosa

54 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  2:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit apaloosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just carry spare ones in case as well as the All Purpose Certif. as there may not be room on a page for the stamp.

Apaloosa
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  08:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I carry both "loose acks" and an acknowledgement stamp. Many folks want to fax the notarized document and a separate page is harder to fax as NY notary law requires the acknowledgement to be attached (stapled) to the document. The loose ack looks better - but both are the same legally.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  06:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AR: I suppose they are. Lots of people seem to like/want them.
I just have loose ones for those rare times that it's needed.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  03:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The rules differ by state, so please state which state you are writing from when answering this one.

Are Jurat stamps a good idea? They would include the verbiage for a Jurat in case you need to notarize a form that doesn't already have the wording ( or perhaps has the wording wrong ).
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.