123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Technical & Marketing Issues
 More Signings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  6:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the one part that got me..

"Standard 24 is not met by the lawyer being called on the telephone during the course of the closing process for the purpose of responding to questions or reviewing documents. The lawyer's physical presence at a closing will assure that there is supervision of the work of the paralegal which is direct and constant."

I was discussing GA signings with a title company recently - they told me they got around it by having a GA attorney on the telephone - the above looks to me like that's not acceptable at all..

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  11:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is interesting that JH (John) Miller has established another thread named "more signings." He already established this same thread on April 16th. Similar responses. He did not respond to any comments on that thread either.
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  06:44:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bobbi...

There was another discussion on this which gave more detailed and on-point info but, for the life of me, I can't find it...it recited the GA statute governing non-attorney closings...

By gum I'm gonna find it sooner or later..!!...<G>

Linda
Go to Top of Page

BobbiCT

Connecticut
135 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  05:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit BobbiCT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nicely found and put, Linda.

This is very similar to the Connecticut Bar Association's early 1980s opinion when real estate attorneys asked if experienced, senior staff paralegals (aka Legal Assistants) could handle routine real estate matters with an attorney available if a question or issue came up. The Bar answer: no. This is why the non-attorney "closing" in Connecticut is still in question. There are no recent UPL cases brought against a non-attorney for real estate activity, only cases regarding divorce, estate planning and immigration related documents.
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  7:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's one thing I found real quick, John - give it a read:

Formal Advisory Opinion 00-3

STATE BAR OF GEORGIA
ISSUED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF GEORGIA
ON FEBRUARY 11, 2000
FORMAL ADVISORY OPINION NO. 00-3

For references to Standard of Conduct 24, please see Rule 5.5(a).

For an explanation regarding the addition of headnotes to the opinion, click here.

QUESTION PRESENTED:

Ethical propriety of lawyers telephonically participating in real estate closings from remote sites.

SUMMARY ANSWER:

Formal Advisory Opinion No. 86-5 explains that a lawyer cannot delegate to a nonlawyer the responsibility to "close" the real estate transaction without the participation of an attorney. Formal Advisory Opinion No. 86-5 also provides that "Supervision of the work of the paralegal by the attorney must be direct and constant to avoid any charges of aiding the unauthorized practice of law." The lawyer's physical presence at a closing will assure that there is supervision of the work of the paralegal which is direct and constant.

OPINION:

Formal Advisory Opinion No. 86-5 (86-R9) issued by the Supreme Court states that the closing of real estate transactions constitutes the practice of law as defined by O.C.G.A. §15-19-50. Therefore, it is ethically improper for lawyers to permit nonlawyers to close real estate transactions. Correspondent inquires whether it is ethically permissible to allow a paralegal to be physically present at a remote site for the purpose of witnessing signatures and assuring that documents are signed properly. The paralegal announces to the borrower that they are there to assist the attorney in the closing process. The lawyer is contacted by telephone by the paralegal during the closing to discuss the legal aspects of the closing.

The critical issue in this inquiry is what constitutes the participation of the attorney in the closing transaction. The lawyer must be in control of the closing process from beginning to end. The supervision of the paralegal must be direct and constant.

Formal Advisory Opinion No. 86-5 states that "If the 'closing' is defined as the entire series of events through which title to the land is conveyed from one party to another party, it would be ethically improper for a nonlawyer to 'close' a real estate transaction." Under the circumstances described by the correspondent, the participation of the lawyer is less than meaningful. The lawyer is not in control of the actual closing processing from beginning to end. The lawyer is brought into the closing process after it has already begun. Even though the paralegal may state that they are not a lawyer and is not there for the purpose of giving legal advice, circumstances may arise where one involved in this process as a purchaser, seller or lender would look to the paralegal for advice and/or explanations normally provided by a lawyer. This is not permissible.

Formal Advisory Opinion No. 86-5 provides that "Supervision of the work of the paralegal by the attorney must be direct and constant to avoid any charges of aiding the unauthorized practice of law." By allowing a paralegal to appear at closings at remote sites at which lawyers are present only by telephone conference will obviously increase the likelihood that the paralegal may be placed in circumstances where the paralegal is actually providing legal advice or explanations, or exercising independent judgement as to whether legal advice or explanation is required.

Standard 24 is not met by the lawyer being called on the telephone during the course of the closing process for the purpose of responding to questions or reviewing documents. The lawyer's physical presence at a closing will assure that there is supervision of the work of the paralegal which is direct and constant.

There was a much better discussion of it but I can't find it right now...but this opinion is worth reading.

Linda
http://www.notary.net/websit
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  7:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't matter if the price is right or not, John - Georgia is an attorney-only state...you can't do loan signings. As for RESPA signings, I'm not sure if those are included in the legislation or not. You can search the past archives here - there was a great thread here that discussed Georgia and the new laws regarding loan signings. Maybe Jeremy can help a bit and bring that thread to the top again for your quicker reference.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

jhmiller

Georgia
8 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  6:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jhmiller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right now I am semi retired and just do a few respa signings and simple notary work, I am not even sure If it is Legal to do respa
signings in Georgia, because some of the laws in Georgia really suck,
I haven't really gotten into any closing yet but I guess that I would if any came my way and the price was right, but I am not a lawyer.

john h miller
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.