123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Signing Companies
 are you still able to make living at this anymore
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2013 :  02:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
are you still able to make living at this anymore
That depends on what you consider "this". If you include only signings the answer is no. If you also: Process Apostilles, Fingerprint, have a following of individuals and companies for direct notary work, and other income streams the answer is marginally.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

davidlwilliams

Massachusetts
47 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2013 :  8:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theinsurancelady

Allow me to clarify: Not "explaining the documents" but rather "identifying the documents."
My point is that borrowers are extremely uncomfortable with loan packages and want someone there to hold their hands.

The bar association would point out that the documents have titles that identify them and that doing more than reading the title is illegal. If the person cannot read, I would question their ability to sign legally. I doubt that anyone would believe you were paid to read the title on the top of the page.
Go to Top of Page

davidlwilliams

Massachusetts
47 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2013 :  8:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I recently got a call from an educated couple who still paid me $50 to explain documents that Wells Fargo sent them to sign.
Granted, this is not how I make my living, but there's always room in my wallet for another $50!

Well, I hope you are a licensed attorney if you "explain documents" or you are likely to lose your commission. If the bar association hears of you giving advice that can be construed as legal counsel, it could also end in a felony conviction.
That $50 could end up being mighty expensive.
Go to Top of Page

davidlwilliams

Massachusetts
47 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2013 :  8:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbelmont
Perhaps one day notary jobs will mostly require high tech equipment that is too expensive for most people to purchase. If you were one of the serious notaries who had that equipment ( I'm thinking of electronic signature equipment, fancy laptops, in car printers...), then perhaps you would be full time in this business.

I have most of this stuff and starve in winter. There are dead times occasionally in other seasons as well.
Go to Top of Page

theinsurancelady

Washington
38 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  4:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit theinsurancelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Allow me to clarify: Not "explaining the documents" but rather "identifying the documents."

My point is that borrowers are extremely uncomfortable with loan packages and want someone there to hold their hands. When a lender just sends them a package to sign, borrowers still want someone there to point out where in the docs to find the interest rate, payment, etc.

Regarding the fee: They came to me (no driving) with the packet (no printing) and it was an in-house refinance (small package) with one notarization.

This was an exception- I am also being "low-balled" by local competition. "I feel your pain."

Go to Top of Page

active

Virginia
38 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2009 :  11:44:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Renee, I have to agree with you on this. I don't know why but I have recently have gotten a lot of different companies wanting me to do closings for 70-80.00. Jez, a pawn shop would charge that much just for you to walk in with no explanation of the docs! I too, will not work for that amount. By the time you pay for gas, print docs, and close, your time and experience is worth something. Up around DC and northern Va., companies pay a lot more than they do in southern Va. My sister is slammed at 150.00 plus for closings. My advice is, you are a professional so demand professional wages for your services!

quote:
Originally posted by Renee

I don't give away my expertise no matter who is paying the bill. It took too many hard years to acquire the knowledge I have, and I'm running a business.

Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  07:01:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I recently got a call from an educated couple who still paid me $50 to explain documents that Wells Fargo sent them to sign.
Granted, this is not how I make my living, but there's always room in my wallet for another $50!

Sorry, but first of all, I'd not be bragging that I did a signing for $50 - your time, travel, notarizations and expertise are worth far more than that...

Second...Explain documents? It's not our job to "explain" documents....IMO they should have been referred to their loan officer/loan consultant to explain the docs to them...you present and notarize, that's it.

Is $50 sufficient to cover your exposure for "explaining" documents and possibly stepping over the line into UPL? I don't think so....at least I know it's not for me.

MHO

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  03:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't give away my expertise no matter who is paying the bill. It took too many hard years to acquire the knowledge I have, and I'm running a business.
Go to Top of Page

theinsurancelady

Washington
38 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  8:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit theinsurancelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  11:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Things have really picked up for signing agents as of mid January this year. Its partly the new rates, a new year, and a new president. Everything is new. Thank god it has picked up for many notaries.

http://www.123notary.com/certified-signing-agent.asp

Go to Top of Page

maagggie

New Mexico
14 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  8:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit maagggie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find it rewarding to be a loan signing agent. The nice people that I meet. I do find that gas is expensive however, I find that you have to be smarter about driving. I find that my Hybrid takes less gas to run. I also understand I pay more for it at the beginning, however gas keeps rising I will make money faster than two years.

The signings has picked up for me since January. I am also making more per signing than before. So, I think that this was a wise career move.

Supplies are expensive, but free advertising is a good way, Vflyer.com is a good free way to advertise. I have a lot of free ads all over the internet and they are starting to pay off.

Margaret L. O'Daniel
NNA Certified Notary Loan Signing Agent
Background Screened
Albuquerque NM
modaniel4@aol.com
www.nmnotaryloansigningagent.com
24 Hour Service
Go to Top of Page

LIZBETH

Florida
19 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  10:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit LIZBETH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I never really thought I could make a "living" with this, but as a retired person, it was nice for extra funds. Right now, in Lee County Florida, I am not getting much of anything. Even companies that I regularly had calls from are not calling.
Maybe when the foreclosure issue settles down it will get better.
Go to Top of Page

rwedertz

New Mexico
30 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  9:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit rwedertz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, a number of things are going on, and all at once. Firstly, signing companies are getting rid of "defective" notaries - those that don't know what they are doing and keep sending loans back with errors, etc. Then, their fees are being cut by some (not all) lenders that they work for. The title companies are realigning their fees (but again, not all). Notaries who clump along waiting for the phone to ring can't seem to figure out why it doesn't. Others have no imagination, so they just sit around and moan. Other notaries, perform additional duties or work different fields. For example: With the opening of movie studios here in town, and the constant need for mobile notaries by production companies, I placed myself in the number one spot and I ALWAYS respond (even at 11:00 PM) when they need me - the movie people are weird but they pay extremely well. I am their Primary Contractor for Notary Services. The also pay NOW. I also now work for the State Land Trust as their Primary Notary. I am always ready when they need something. They also pay very well, and also reimburse you for travel. I also now do property inspections, take Pix, take some measurements, fill out an Excel form, do a simple drawing and send the stuff back to the company. Reverse Mortgages are wonderful and they are on the rise! I let companies know that I KNOW how to NOT screw up their paperwork, and have studied the Reverse Mortgage program materials from HUD (guarantors of the program). I get calls from Loan Officers who tell me that I am the only one they will trust to send to a Reverse Mortgage Signing alone. Lastly, I QC all of my work three times - absolutely no errors. If I make an error, the signing is free. It's my guarantee. If notaries had some imagination and bothered to learn proper signing techniques, they would garner more business. As they say, "As you sow, so shall ye reap." It's true.
Go to Top of Page

civey

North Carolina
76 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  9:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crtowles

OK. I see. I agree with you that most likely most will never make a living solely at this anymore. I encourage all who I mentor/speak too to find other things to do in conjunction with this to supplement their income. I never believed in putting all your eggs in one basket anyway no matter what you do.

Carmen

HERE I GO!

I totally agree Carmen. I do want to do this full-time and I had a part-time job (25 hours a week), which was from 9:00 until 2:30. They bounced my check (they're history). I had to decline a few morning jobs, but for the most part the times requested were always after my job, so it was never a big deal.

I am trying to expand this business. I recently did two deals off this site in one day that I made $100.00 from and all I did was notarize two documents (I also got paid on the spot). That's it! I printed nothing, I overnighted nothing and it took me less than 5 minutes to do each. My drive time was my time involved (and it wasn't far). I didn't think that was too bad! Notaries will always be a necessity and a mobile notary/signing agent can make a decent living.

We can charge $5.00 in NC and no travel fee, but I do not leave my driveway for less than $40 (it depends on my time). I charge a convenience fee for driving to them and they don't mind paying it if they truly need the convenience. I let them know that if they came to me the most I can charge is $5.00, but coming to them will cost atleast $40 for the CONVENIENCE.

I did take this inspection job for $35 ea, but there are 2 and I will leave one and go straight to the next.

I can also do home loans. I started using my notary because I saw the housing market slipping and most of my loans were purchases not refinances, so I took a part-time job and started doing notarizations. It was a natural thing to do for me. I always went to my closings, so I already knew how to handle the closing part by watching the attorney's/parallegals and dealing with the inital loan papers (alot of them are repeated during the closing). It was never a requiement to be there, but I did it for my client and it really helped me just jump right into the loan signings. I don't think I would have tried this without having that experience or I would have had to take some classes. There is just too much that most people don't understand about the final process of closing a loan.

My point is you should always have something to fall back on. The part-time job I had did government contract work and they bounced my check (it was not a banking error, they didn't have the money). No job is full proof.
Go to Top of Page

AZSigner

Arizona
93 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  6:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter, this might cheer you up:

At the end of February I got a call from an exhausted loan officer at Wells Fargo who had a client living way out in the boonies about 70 miles out of town. He mailed a first set of docs with sign/notarize stickies. Borrower signed and got docs notarized but missed the signature on the note. Loan officer sent docs again to borrower, made sure all signature lines were flagged, and gave borrower a lecture about signing EVERYWHERE. Borrower returned docs with all signature lines signed, but no notarizations. Borrower says, "What do you mean I had to go get the docs notarized again? Don't you already have one set of notarized docs?"

My response to the loan officer after hearing this: "I'm so sorry, this must be very frustrating for you." ($$ KACHING $$, teehee).

I was worried about stickies too, but after this I don't think stickies are going to be that big of a threat to my income.

-Mike
Go to Top of Page

a1etron

Florida
77 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  4:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are any of you approaching the Title Companies or Signing Compaies about the price of gas. I know all of us have been just absorbing that cost, I drive a Scion XB BOX and I get 35 in the city so it has not been that big of a problem so far, gas in Orlando is now 3.20 a gallon some places $3.50 a gallon. I have asked a few of my lower paying companies for compensation of $10.00 to $15.00 and have received mixed response. FEDEX gets it, UPS gets it, why do we have to eat it?

Ed Fadden

orlandonotary@embarqmail.com

ed fadden
Go to Top of Page

a1etron

Florida
77 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  4:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must say I am very happy to see that my 11 word question on this board has generated so much response. My business has picked up ever so slightly but last month was horrible. I am located in Orlando FL and I cover the 6 counties surrounding Orlando, Orange, Seminole, Volusia, Lake, and Osceola. The worst county is Seminole county no refi's or any type of activity. Orange county which includes Orlando is on life support at best a few here or there. Voulsia county includes Daytona Beach a very few on the west side of the county. Lake county a few people buying foreclosures but the roads in and out are under full construction and the drive in and out is horrible. Osceola county forget it. Good luck and prayers to all who are trying to hang in there like myself.

Ed Fadden

ed fadden
Go to Top of Page

BobbiCT

Connecticut
135 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  2:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit BobbiCT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"NEVER MIND MY WIFE HAS A FREIND WHO'S A NOTARY CLOSE TO US WHO WILL DO IT FREE!!!"

Look on the bright side. In Connecticut there are OVER 53 thousand notaries public plus every attorney, justice of the peace and a few others who can perform notarizations at "up to $5 per notarization and 35 cents per mile for travel." Every bank branch, real estate office, law firm, most doctor's offices, hospitals and nursing homes has a least one or two notary employees .... who notarize regularly for free. Your local bank branch notarizes for FREE for bank customers, while UPS and Kinkos charge $5. Most real estate office notaries don't charge; it's marketing! No education, no requirement to update notaries on changes in state laws, no background check, $60 for a 5-year commission, no journal (Secy. of State has objected to requirement and Legislature's Nov 2007 research report stated "no one in CT has ever been harmed by a notary not having a journal"), seal and "stamp" optional (commission & supplies traditionally paid for by the employer). The first application includes a write-the-answers-from-the-enclosed book mail-in test/application. The test is to see if you read at least the introduction to the notary handbook. When an applicant fails, s/he can immediately re-apply; the boss will give you the correct answers. Because for years they have never charged and are not required to keep up with notarial laws, most notaries don't know what the statutory fee is and don't know what the ID requirements are. Much easier to get a free notarization than use one of us fussy NSAs.

And you thought you had competition Hope this cheers you up. Sorry if this sounds like whining. It's just a fact that I live with. Community colleges and I even tried a notary class; interested notaries do NOT want to pay for it - why pay for something we don't need, that's not required, that the Conn. Secretary of State doesn't feel is necessary, and our employer doesn't require. Good points.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  11:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For us, its a lot of work to make our $50. Our $30 trip fee includes a lot of hassles sometimes, lots of driving time, not to mention expenses. But, for them, its very expensive. On top of their bills, they have to pay us. That cuts into their expendable income.

Lets do the math: $50 buys seven luncheon specials at "The Thai and I". They are sacrificing seven lunches, just to pay us. Ouch. Thats why we have to depend on their "notary friend" being out of town or sick. Then they have to use us!!!

Everybody has bills unless you are a cat, and then someone else pays your bills. Cats don't realize how good they have it. All they have to purr and smile at people, and they get endless love and food.
Go to Top of Page

radonotary

Florida
234 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  08:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit radonotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carmen, after all the good advise on the other board. I do feel better about it. I was real upset because this was the first call I've ever gotten like this and it really threw me for a loop. Thanks again.

Edited by - radonotary on 03/11/2008 7:14:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  07:10:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calm down Peter. This is not new. I have been doing this for a long time and the borrowers have always had this option with some lenders. Wells Fargo for example has been doing this for a long time now. IMO, it will never be the norm. The borrowers seem to like the convenience that we provide and opt out of finding their own notary due to time constraints. I have received many calls over the years like this in the past and I have made a few regulars out it it. I personally have been getting some nice jobs lately and from what others tell me across the US it is picking up. Don't panic just yet.

Carmen
Go to Top of Page

radonotary

Florida
234 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  04:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit radonotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well this is just getting more ridiculous by the day. I'm really sorry to have to keep posting all of this negativity but this forum is really the only place I have in the world to vent my frustrations. So here it goes.

This evening I received a call from a guy who lives 15 minutes from my house and he said to me... Are you the mobile notary service? I said sure, what can I do for you? He replies.. I received my loan package from Bank of America (which you all know by now is Countrywide) and I need a notary to stamp 2 pages, how much will you charge me? I told him that I am a certified loan signing agent and that I would give him 2 options. I told him I could do a complete signing for him and his wife, page for page so as not to miss any signatures or Initials and that I would explain to them what they were signing and why and for that service I would charge them the same that I would charge any TC - $150.00 OR! If he would like I could come over and just notarize the 2 pages (DOT & Borrowers AFF)
for just $50.00 ($10 for each notarization $30.00 Trip fee. Its 9pm). The next thing I know, I hear his wife scream at him from the background and then he says to me...

NEVER MIND MY WIFE HAS A FREIND WHO'S A NOTARY CLOSE TO US WHO WILL DO IT FREE!!! THANKS ANYWAY. and he hangs up in my ear.

I told you people:

STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES, STICKIES,

I'm done

Edited by - radonotary on 03/11/2008 7:46:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

aerobi

New York
6 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  4:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit aerobi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This really is so depressing. I was doing so well for what felt like such a long time. But reading what others are going through at this very difficult time lets me know that I am not alone here. I have come to the conclusion that I need to get a full time job (hopefully soon) and do this in my spear time as an added income. I am, however, grateful for the experience that being a C.N.S.A. has given me and hope that this business does pick up sometime in the near future. For those who continue to do well in this industry, I congratulate you and wish you the best. For those who are more like me and feel it's time to move on, I sympathize with you, understand where you are coming from and wish you the best of luck. I will hang in there, but this time on a part time basis. Regardless, to all of you out there, have a wonderful life.

Deborah A. Ramos
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  7:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'm not discouraged - I'm disappointed - not just the money aspect but they were really great to work with...really nice people -so good at what they do I intend to use this particular title company for my own refinance.

I do, however, have many companies calling willing to pay my fees...my phone was off the charts last week - I keep track of the calls I get - looked it over last night and realized I had turned down over $1,000 last week because of scheduling conflicts along with the repercussions from the storms that rolled through (lost my internet for over 24 hours)...oy!!!

Ah well...there's always next week..:)

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  01:33:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sorry to here this...but there are still title companies that are paying great fees. Recently, I am getting at least one or two of them calling on a daily basis (not like it use to be but still better than nothing). So there is still hope. Don't be discouraged. Just keep on marketing and buy the best advertising you can get.

Carmen
Go to Top of Page

a1etron

Florida
77 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  1:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am declaring the signing business may be on its last breath.
I have paid big $$ for the highest listing available to me in Orlando and have done 1 closing so far this month that paid $100.00 and it is the 19th.I have paid big $$ for E&O insurance. My 5 biggest customers have all closed, I am owed over $3,000.00 from signing and TITLE companies that have closed, that I will likely never collect. Like Rado said in a posting BOA is sending loan packages out and having people go to mail stops or UPS stores to get their loans Notarized. I have expenses, internet, cell phone, toner, paper, car insurance, gas, tolls, car payment, not to mention paying myself and providing for a family. I used to bill at least $4,000.00 sometimes $8,000.00 per month, last month I billed $560.00. All of the cost associated with this work have increased, gas, paper, toner, insurance, you name it cost is up, Title companies want to pay you less. How can you make it work?? All my bills are becoming late, if somthing does not happen very soon I will declare the business dead. I am truly hoping for the best but I am a realist and the reality of the situation in Orlando Florida is very, very bad. Pray for us here in Orlando we are doing our best to hold on. I will keep everyone updated if and when business picks up. I have been a Notary for over 15 years and have never seen anything like this before. All you out there respond and let me know if you are having the same issues.

Edward Fadden
1520 Druid Isle Rd.
Maitland FL 32751
407-619-7777
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.