123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Signing Companies
 Midwest Mortgage Services St Louis MO- BEWARE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  3:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think disaster is putting it mildly.

I've found that my easiest way out of this is, when only one signer is listed, during the confirmation call I always ask them if they're married and if this is for their primary residence. Then, when I email hiring party that I've confirmed I let them know that signer is married and yes, it's their primary residence. If, after that, NOBS instructions aren't included in the package, I'm on phone with hiring party making sure package is correct.

JMO

Linda
http://www.columbiacountynotary.webs.com
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell

Edited by - LindaH on 07/01/2014 4:13:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

NotaryMark

Missouri
6 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  2:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit NotaryMark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your comments it reminds us that we constantly need to reread our standards to keep up our professionalism and keep down our errors.

No I wasn't offered the opportunity to make any corrections, another notary was sent to complete the signing. Had I have been informed I would have been happy to have accepted a lower fee. Mr King had originally agreed to compensate me for my time of 5hrs at the signing. After the signing I was asked if the Spouse had signed the documents. At this juncture of confusion, there having been no mention of a spouse, I agreed to return, but for the fee without added compensation for my time. There was an oversight here (not mine) but no errors and I wasn't informed of any errors at any time. I am aware of Spousal requirements but there was no mention of a spouse being in attendance, either before or during the process of signing and no extra signature name affidavit for a spouse either or other pertaining documents. As far as I was concerned there was no co-borrower in attendance.

In short the whole thing was a disaster.

Mark Antony Fletcher
Go to Top of Page

NotaryMark

Missouri
6 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  2:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit NotaryMark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do agree entirely. Spousal docs are always checked for by myself on signings, however, this was signed at a 'Housing Associations' location the NACA. The two people attending had different last names and were introduced as such. There was never any mention of the 'other' individual being a spouse in attendance, either during or before the signing. There was also a Title agent present which is very unusual, and he said nothing of both parties having to sign either. Also there were no signature or name affidavits included in the package for the individual not listed on the main signing documents.
In short there was no indication given to me that there was a spouse in attendance, although on some forms I note that there are borrower and co-borrower (spousal) requirements.

Thank you for your comments it sure helps us keep rereading and qualifying ourselves as Notaries.

quote:
Originally posted by LindaH

"There are only a certain amount of formats to cover,and after signing at mortgages, debt re-consolidations, loans, investments, titles, 2nd mortgages, refinance you pretty much have the bag."

My only response to this is "apparently not, Mark". If you're doing loan signings and paid attention to the NNA material you studied (as I see you're NNA certified) - you should know exactly what spousal docs need to be signed in each of your commissioned states (as you're dual-commissioned). You say numbers don't mean proficiency, and you're absolutely right - but attention to the docs, study and attention to detail does.

I have no comment on this company or what happened - I'm curious why you were not offered the opportunity to go make the corrections - did they not offer or were you just not available. Why were you printing on site? 5 hours at a signing?? Wow...that's insane. And these are not issues raised just to you - I also question Midwest on some of this.

Honestly, though, if you overlooked the spousal docs you should consider yourself lucky he has a check to send to you. And I would strongly suggest you keep a checklist somewhere of exactly what spousal docs need to be signed until you know it by heart...this is your responsibility.

To Rick: don't play that silly game ("failure to take responsibility cost you another week") - that's beneath any decent, professional business owner.

JMO and Good luck with this.

Linda

Mark Antony Fletcher
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  2:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"There are only a certain amount of formats to cover,and after signing at mortgages, debt re-consolidations, loans, investments, titles, 2nd mortgages, refinance you pretty much have the bag."

My only response to this is "apparently not, Mark". If you're doing loan signings and paid attention to the NNA material you studied (as I see you're NNA certified) - you should know exactly what spousal docs need to be signed in each of your commissioned states (as you're dual-commissioned). You say numbers don't mean proficiency, and you're absolutely right - but attention to the docs, study and attention to detail does.

I have no comment on this company or what happened - I'm curious why you were not offered the opportunity to go make the corrections - did they not offer or were you just not available. Why were you printing on site? 5 hours at a signing?? Wow...that's insane. And these are not issues raised just to you - I also question Midwest on some of this.

Honestly, though, if you overlooked the spousal docs you should consider yourself lucky he has a check to send to you. And I would strongly suggest you keep a checklist somewhere of exactly what spousal docs need to be signed until you know it by heart...this is your responsibility.

To Rick: don't play that silly game ("failure to take responsibility cost you another week") - that's beneath any decent, professional business owner.

JMO and Good luck with this.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

NotaryMark

Missouri
6 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  1:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit NotaryMark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WELL A REPLY FROM MIDWEST MORTGAGE: To quote his text message,
"Good luck with your signing career. Very important to get the state spousal docs signed In alignment with state law. This check is on my desk and was to be sent Monday. Failure to take responsibility cost you another week. Proceed as you see fit."

How Professional and mature of Mr Richard, 'Rick' King.

Mark Antony Fletcher
Go to Top of Page

NotaryMark

Missouri
6 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  12:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit NotaryMark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have today had to raise a demand for payment of work in may following a string of polite reminders for payment overdue.

The signing in mention was a fiasco from the start, doomed to problems and probable missed signatures, documents were not ready or printed on my arrival to the signing location. When printed they were incomplete. At this point I should have left but called Mr King and offered to stay at the location for signing. He thanked me for my professional attitude. I stayed at the location for five hours whilst the documents were completed and downloaded and printed. There were two people at the signing, of different last names but only one of them was shown listed on the documents. There were no spousal documents or spousal name affidavits as is usual in Missouri. I obtained the listed persons signatures. If problems were to be, they remained with the title company and not Midwest or myself.

However only today does Mr Richard (Rick) King mention some errors that have held up payment, and instead of contacting me about said errors, he hired another notary, and suggested I get more training and experience as a Notary. So I guess I am a 'patsy' or 'fall guy' on this signing. So does this mean I shall receive no payment? I will update this site as this develops. To date I have done over 100 signings with no errors or omissions, with reputable signing agencies.

It is patronizing and frankly stupid to think that a Notary should have hundreds of signings to be proficient. I agree there has to be a range and number but quantity doesn't necessarily mean proficiency. There are only a certain amount of formats to cover,and after signing at mortgages, debt re-consolidations, loans, investments, titles, 2nd mortgages, refinance you pretty much have the bag.

Mark Antony Fletcher
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.