123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Signing Companies
 "We are going to pay this..."
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arizona
15 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  09:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit 32297's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only way one can deal with this problem is to stick to your guns. I get a blast email at least 3 times per week to do a "financial package" for $30. Originally I would say that I was available but not at $30. And then ask for the details on the package; never getting an answer. I have tried to get them to remove me from their data base but without success.
I now simply ignore these blasts. The only way to fight back is to vote on these companies and give them 1 star (I wish you could start at 0 stars). Some title companies will show the signing fee on the HUD so you can take note of the percentage that you get.
There will always be the hobbyist or newbie that either doesn't know how to figure their cost to do business or doesn't care. They will always ruin it for those of us that wish to make a living.
Go to Top of Page

davidlwilliams

Massachusetts
47 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  06:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dannotary

Tell them that YOU are the vendor and they are the client, and it is you who they are contrating with and YOU who set the fees. Since when do we go to a dentist and say "by the way, I pay $5. for a filling".

I have done this MANY times (I prefer the analogy of a plumber..."you are going to install this toilet for $10.) They invariably respond that they are only permitted to pay a certain amount.
As noted, they are getting vicious and have succeeded to a large degree in promoting the hobby-notaries that do this in order to support a trip to the lake-side each year or to a notary convention in Vagas. Those of us who do it for a living take it on the chin from these cheap seats.
How else can you explain the downward spiral of fees in the four years + I have done this? I get less per signing now than I did four years ago...and more competition for fewer signings.
Go to Top of Page

davidlwilliams

Massachusetts
47 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  05:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dannotary

Once they have established what it is they want you do to, a single document or a full refi set and any other services, then tell them your fee and tell them to make a note of it in their files and how happy you will be to provide service when that fee is met, and tell them not even to bother calling again unless they are prepared to meet that fee. Most of the time they will not mark anything down and continue to call you. After a few of those go arounds you can tell them to remove you from their list.

Well said, but as I said, it is becoming ubiquitous. I sm noe getting emails saying that this job "pays $75" and the first notary to take it at that fee gets it. Apparently they are actually getting notaries to do this crap.
I had an email yesterday for a signing in a neighboring state that I am not commissioned in, a fairly remote area, "we pay this $75." Told them it was pathetic and I was not commissioned there. Two hours later another email identical to the first saying "$125."
Often these low paying calls tell me that they found my profile on "Site XXX." Since everywhere I have a profile I have specifically stated not to call me with signings below $100 even if it is next door, you have to wonder where they are coming from.
There is one agency that asks if I want the job, talking very quickly to prevent me from commenting, says "do you want it?" If you say yes, the conversation is terminated and you get an email saying that you are to be paid in the neighborhood of $50.
Clearly the agencies are now becoming vicious in their attempt to control the market, drive out the professionals and promote the part-time, hobbyists. They appear to have succeeded in many cases as signings that I once got $150 for, I cannot get $125 for now.
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  8:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tell them that YOU are the vendor and they are the client, and it is you who they are contrating with and YOU who set the fees. Since when do we go to a dentist and say "by the way, I pay $5. for a filling".
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  7:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Once they have established what it is they want you do to, a single document or a full refi set and any other services, then tell them your fee and tell them to make a note of it in their files and how happy you will be to provide service when that fee is met, and tell them not even to bother calling again unless they are prepared to meet that fee. Most of the time they will not mark anything down and continue to call you. After a few of those go arounds you can tell them to remove you from their list.
Go to Top of Page

davidlwilliams

Massachusetts
47 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  07:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have received calls like this, and if you are like me, they are getting to be ubiquitous. I now have a new way of dealing with this. I usually reply (since the money is always low) "I do not do work for that kind of money." Usually they ask for a quote.
Occasionally the money offered is so ridiculously low that I simply say "I do not work for that kind of money" and when they ask for a quote I respond "If you think you can get a notary for that sum, than any sum I could quote would be too expensive for you." Alternatively I choose: "obviously you cannot afford my services. You will have to find someone cheaper."
Occasionally if I am in a particularly foul mood, I respond to "we are going to pay this..." with "who are you going to pay it to?"
What is your take on this? How do you reply?
Thanks.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.