123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 The angry non-English speaker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Belinda

California
6 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  11:17:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Belinda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The wife was apparently trying to scam the husband out of some of his property. It is a long story, however I'll make is very short.

This was a purchase and the husband was to sign a grand deed deeding this property and another one to his wife as her sole and separate property. I tried to visit with the borrower to see if he spoke English. He would remain silent and not look at me. You could tell he could not speak English AND she had been hiding him (a story in itself.) I explained to her that I could not notarize with someone I could not communicate with. She said she would interpret. She said something to him in their language and then told me, "Go ahead and ask him what these papers are." I asked him just to keep things calm because she was ramping up for a fight. His reply, are you ready, "Lease Agreement." At this time I called the appointment over, very politely and calmly.

I have no idea what she told him but he blew up. She probably told him I was doing something wrong when in actuality she was trying to take his property (it appeared to me.) Things were flying and banging and I was getting out of there. He was in the kitchen throwing pans everywhere. Employees were dodging and scurrying. Every customer in the restaurant left. Even the ones outside. They were there and then they were gone. Poof. She was as crazy as him. (Signing was actually at a restaurant.) --I have changed up some of the details for reasons unknown. Just seems like the thing to do.--

Everytime I have a signing when a borrower has a very thick accent I try to work it so I can speak to the co-borrower. Believe it or not, the very next day, there was a co-borrower that could not speak English. I had asked to speak with the co-borrower to go over their identification and the borrower simply did not want to let me talk to her. He did go to get her and when she got on the phone she spoke not a word of English. I have no idea what she was saying to me. It worked out great because I was then able to tell the title company they needed a specific language notary and the deal went smoothly after that.

I think the loan officer and/or title company were the ones to blame for this mess. They had the client on the phone and could have verified this. The SS never spoke with the clients to have any idea about a language barrier.
Go to Top of Page

DianaNotary

California
171 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  11:03:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit DianaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh, perhaps the guy got scared because the notary asked for ID in advance... maybe the husband is illegal in the country and the fact that someone asked for ID could have meant for him: "Hm-m-m DEPORTATION!" again, just sayin' :)

http://www.DianaNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

DianaNotary

California
171 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  11:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit DianaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think this is more of a personality problem. Yes, language could have been the issue here - but i suspect the guy has some kind of psychological issues..... just sayin'

http://www.DianaNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  2:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a story from NR. I am rewriting it a little differently. I will consider putting this in our blog after rewriting it a third time.

The confirmation call
A signer calls the borrower about a signing. The signer speaks to the wife and wants to know the identification information for both signers. The wife claims that the husband is out on an errand and is not there.

At the signing
The notary explains that the husband needs to show up if they are going to complete the signing. The husband is home, but HIDING! The wife now becomes honest and claims that her husband doesn't speak English! The notary then states that according to notary law in their state, that the signer and the notary must be able to communicate directly without the use of an interpreter!

The violent fit
At this point, the non-English speaking husband has a fit, and starts throwing a chair backwards across the room. The husband starts yelling at the notary in a foreign language. Then, he goes into the kitchen and starts throwing pans. Then, they start complaining about discrimination.

Leaving FAST
The notary grabs the documents and his stuff and runs out the door. The Title company wanted the notary to return to the site of the crime, but the signing company told the Title company that the notary should NOT go back to that signing.

Interpretation
It is clear that the signing company didn't do it's job correctly. They should have asked if either of the signers needed a notary who spoke their language. Of course in this case, the borrowers were liars, so they might have gotten an incorrect answer. If they speak Vietnamese, then get a Vietnamese notary who can talk to them directly. It is not rocket science. It is harder to get a Vietnamese speaking notary, but it is easier than dealing with someone's emotional fit, right?

I remember my days as an ESL teacher, and how lazy my students were. This husband character is probably one of my students who didn't bother to do his homework, who never spoke in class, and who never tried, and then blamed others for following the law. If you live in a country, you need to learn the language.

During my trip to Germany, the Germans REQUIRED me to be fluent in German just to drive through their country for 36 hours and took offense when I didn't know the language. I explained that I was visiting 12 countries, and that I already know 4 languages, and that they were being unreasonable to ask me to know German... Otherwise I would have to learn 192 languages of the world if I were seeing each country. If you are visiting a country, it is good to know a few sentences, but LIVING there requires some competency. After all, what if there is an emergency and you can't communicate -- someone could die because you don't know the language. What if there is a fire... or worse... what if there is a notarization?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.