123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Technical & Marketing Issues
 Did the SS misjudge the distance?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sigtogo

Oregon
10 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  1:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit sigtogo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had one yesterday; called at 3 pm for a 3:30pm signing so I was already chuckling and told her if it was nearby I could make 4pm, maybe 3:45 depending on docs. When I asked her for the address, she said Lyons, OR. Now I am in Eugene and I know most if not all the cities in outlying areas so I asked her if she had mapped it. she then supposedly did while we were on the phone and nonchalantly told me it was 77 miles. Not a note of awareness on her part of the impossibility of her request so I laughed and said if only my jet were available but alas I would have to decline but do call me when you have something a bit closer : )
seriously? Is it really possible that she had no clue of the distance and timing before she called?
Go to Top of Page

davidlwilliams

Massachusetts
47 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  11:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had them say "fifteen miles" and had it been a two hour trip. Liars.
Go to Top of Page

Venita Peyton

North Carolina
10 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  05:32:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Venita Peyton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes its not the distance, but the time of day. Traffic can be unusually busy during 1-2 hours 2-3x a day (rush hour, school buses, etc). Also, in some gated communities, there can be winding single lane roads (and speed bumps!) that will require slow travel while driving YOU BANANAS!

Venita Peyton
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  12:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I dont argue. I just chuckle and tell them if I was a bird it would be 12 miles like they think, but to get there I have to drive over a mountain on a one land winding road that I have done before and it will take 45 mins one way. If they dont want to pay my fee then I reject the appt.
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  7:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Almost all the time~~ Some are very accurate and actually enter both my address & the signing location. I think many just do a 'zip to zip' search resulting in some wildly inaccurate guesstimates...15 miles as the crow flys really was 78 by road--one way.

For that reason I keep MapQuest open all day and ask for actual address of signing. Takes a second or two to get very accurate results both in time and miles and I can quote a fee that is spot on and have the 'reasons' right in front of me for negotiating purposes.

Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  4:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes - I had a company tell me a signing was in so-and-so town, "20 miles from you" - not....in reality that town is 35 miles from me...then she argued with me...

Here is my post about this that I posted elsewhere:

"Note to signing services: When you call me, or any notary for that matter, to offer an assignment, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't argue when we tell you how far we are and the distance and time involved.

I got a call last night for a reverse mortgage next Wednesday a county away - she tells me "it's only 20 <something> miles"...I told her no...it's more like 36-38 miles one way - she says "well, my information says it's 20 <something> miles"

I KNOW WHERE I AM!! But just for giggles I did a MapQuest on it today (which, btw, I've found MapQuest to be increasingly accurate for my area) - my location to destination town center (35.22 miles - 1 hours), to FedEx drop (31.40 miles - 45 minutes) and back to my location (13.5 miles - 30 minutes)...okay that, in my old-school math, is 80 miles - and could be more if the signing location is west of the town center - and a little over 2 hours just on the road, not allowing for traffic stops and slowdowns.

Please - I know where I am, my demographics and not only the distance involved but the TIME involved to cover that distance you don't. Trust me. I don't know what program or mileage tracker you're using, but you need to trust me - I know where I am.

Thank you."

Linda
http://www.columbiacountynotary.webs.com

Edited by - LindaH on 04/01/2012 4:10:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  2:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is common for people who are schedulers at signing companies to be overzealous to get the signing dispatched. Some of them will tell you anything to get you to agree to the job.

Have you ever had a scheduler tell you that a job was a few miles away, when in fact it was a few dozen miles away?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.