123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Should you report a notary if...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joan

California
12 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  5:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To Notaryslife......It is now illegal in California not to staple the loose certificate to the document, whether Title likes it or not. Please go to the SOS site and read the newsletter for 2012.

Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  1:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dionaea

As far as title companies unstapling a certificate attached to a document, I feel confident it is done so they can either photocopy or scan the document package into their records, such as on microfiche.
As for loose jurats and acknowledgments, I make sure they contain an accurate reference to the specific document they go with.
Having been trained by attorneys, I always cross out the terms that do not match the party or parties signing, i.e. one male signing means drawing a single line through "she" and "they" in "he/she/they". It's just poor practice not to do this easy task at the closing table, IMHO.

Those "cross outs" are a little tougher in New York City. Not being a medical doctor; it's sometimes difficult for me to determine the gender of the person signing. I hesitate to ask "Are you male or female"? I certainly would not, nor am I qualified; to perform a detailed examination. It's not easy to obey the rules, and not offend the clients. Either the world has gotten more complex, or my eyesight is failing - probably both.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

notaryslife

California
348 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  5:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I began as a notary I had a similar attitude of being appalled at other notaries' practice. After a while you realize it's really not up to you to be policing other notaries except if it is outright fraud and using an expired commission.

I reported a few notaries over the years who were seriously bad doing multiple things wrong, such as one at a UPS store I went to. I recently went back to learn she is no longer a notary, for good reason.

However, I strongly disagree with reporting notaries for such things as not filling out the particular section correctly, such as only circling rather than crossing out items. It is not unlawful to fail to do this, at least in the State of California. Reporting this would make you look like a real spiteful vengeful person attempting to harm your competition. If you really feel strongly about it, I would simply ask the notary why they're not doing the particulars correctly instead of coming across like a petty minded person out to enforce laws. If you are too much of a coward to ask the notary yourself, don't make an ass of yourself "reporting" them to the title company.

It is really none of your business to be nit picking like a bitter old lady with too much time on one's hands, you are not an enforcer of laws unless there is a crime involved. It's not criminal to not use cross outs on particular statements!! Please cite one case in which a notary was prosecuted for this before you claim it is unlawful.

So that's my two cents. Too many notaries on these forums really are out of hand acting like they're enforcers of the law. It's quite pathetic in my opinion they have nothing better to do with their time then behave as if they're the Secretary of State.

Sincerely yours,

Notary's Life
Go to Top of Page

notaryslife

California
348 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  4:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again Jeremy: About the part where you claim the notary has to fill out the description of the document, that isn't a legal requirement in California. I usually fill it in when there are extremely important documents such as deeds and POA's. They use the unstapled method to determine if the notarization was tampered with, at least in California. People are instructed not to unstaple the document or it will invalidate the document.

Sincerely yours,

Notary's Life
Go to Top of Page

notaryslife

California
348 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  4:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeremy, the lady who teaches in San Francisco for NotaryClasses.com tells the class it is unnecessary to do anything but circle the correct particular rather than going through and including cross outs. I'm not saying it's right, but most notaries don't seem to care about these nit picking things including giving the oath for a Jurat. Every single time I give an oath people tell me the other notaries never do such a thing in California. I've also experienced many good experienced notaries never issue me the oath either.

Even a partner attorney at a major law firm complained to me about putting her under oath for a Jurat. When I suggested it is a punishable offense in California not to do so and that a notary can face imprisonment for it she responded "I don't think so."

quote:
Originally posted by jbelmont

There are situations where notaries work on a job, that another notary has worked on before.

Expired stamp
If you see that a notary is doing work with an expired stamp, that is cause for concern. Obviously, you should check the date of the notarization against the expiration date of their seal. It is illegal in any state to use an expired seal. It might be a misdemeanor or worse!

In any case, you should report such a notary to their state's secretary of state or notary division (most states unify these two departments).

Incomplete wording?
Many notaries do not understand that they have to cross out the appropriate terms in parentheses or where the forward slashes are in the notary wording... i.e. he/she/they, signature(s), etc. More than half of notaries do not do any of the required cross outs, and this is neglegent and perhaps illegal in their state. You can consider reporting such a notary. Perhaps they need to be re-educated.

Failure to ATTACH?
According to California notary law (not sure about the other states), you need to attach the certificate to the document. This means staple away! I'm not sure if it is illegal for another individual to unstaple the certificate after the fact, but it looks very questionable (every title company unstapled my work which looks criminal to me -- arrest them!!!). Look up the attachment rule in your state, and then report notaries who don't do this. Nothing is worse than a filled out and stamped LOOSE acknowledgment form. It can easily be used for fraud, and sometimes is! Stay out of trouble, and keep others out of trouble too.

Failure to describe the document
If the acknowledgment form doesn't accurately describe the name, type, description, number of pages, document date, etc. of the document it is attached to, it could be reattached to some other document. If the document description is completely blank -- you should report that notary. If they did a half-brained job, then at least they tried, right?

Sincerely yours,

Notary's Life
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  07:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On split signings where I see the previous notary has made lots of mistakes, I will let title know in advance so they can start dealing with it and fax them the pages that pertain and possibly prevent a delay in the close.
Go to Top of Page

notaryslife

California
348 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  6:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tips Jeremy. Show me a LSA who staples their refinance docs and I'll show you someone in need of signing work. I used to staple the docs and lost big accounts. The majority of LSA's don't staple refinance docs because the title companies have to scan and copy them.

When the title company has to unstaple the docs in order to copy them (and they definitely will be copying them for their digital file records) it would undo the notarization by law.

Sincerely yours,

Notary's Life
Go to Top of Page

notaryslife

California
348 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  6:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stopped crossing out and only circling at the suggestion of a NotaryClasses.com instructor.

Sincerely yours,

Notary's Life
Go to Top of Page

dionaea

Tennessee
21 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  07:04:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit dionaea's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As far as title companies unstapling a certificate attached to a document, I feel confident it is done so they can either photocopy or scan the document package into their records, such as on microfiche.
As for loose jurats and acknowledgments, I make sure they contain an accurate reference to the specific document they go with.
Having been trained by attorneys, I always cross out the terms that do not match the party or parties signing, i.e. one male signing means drawing a single line through "she" and "they" in "he/she/they". It's just poor practice not to do this easy task at the closing table, IMHO.

Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  12:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I get calls to do go-overs or corrections or split signings. It is amusing to see how many notaries do an incomplete job, signed and initialed wrong, ack not complete, different colors of ink etc.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  1:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are situations where notaries work on a job, that another notary has worked on before.

Expired stamp
If you see that a notary is doing work with an expired stamp, that is cause for concern. Obviously, you should check the date of the notarization against the expiration date of their seal. It is illegal in any state to use an expired seal. It might be a misdemeanor or worse!

In any case, you should report such a notary to their state's secretary of state or notary division (most states unify these two departments).

Incomplete wording?
Many notaries do not understand that they have to cross out the appropriate terms in parentheses or where the forward slashes are in the notary wording... i.e. he/she/they, signature(s), etc. More than half of notaries do not do any of the required cross outs, and this is neglegent and perhaps illegal in their state. You can consider reporting such a notary. Perhaps they need to be re-educated.

Failure to ATTACH?
According to California notary law (not sure about the other states), you need to attach the certificate to the document. This means staple away! I'm not sure if it is illegal for another individual to unstaple the certificate after the fact, but it looks very questionable (every title company unstapled my work which looks criminal to me -- arrest them!!!). Look up the attachment rule in your state, and then report notaries who don't do this. Nothing is worse than a filled out and stamped LOOSE acknowledgment form. It can easily be used for fraud, and sometimes is! Stay out of trouble, and keep others out of trouble too.

Failure to describe the document
If the acknowledgment form doesn't accurately describe the name, type, description, number of pages, document date, etc. of the document it is attached to, it could be reattached to some other document. If the document description is completely blank -- you should report that notary. If they did a half-brained job, then at least they tried, right?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.