123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Signers who smoke in their home.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CopperheadVA

Virginia
420 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  3:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Lee. I'm a non-smoker and dislike cigarette smoke, but I would never tell someone in their own home that they can't smoke. If I were extremely allergic I would come up with something to say to politely ask the signers not to smoke in front of me, but as I'm not allergic I just get through it the best I can. In six years I've only had two appointments where the people actually smoked at the table, and that was hard for me to get through. Most of the time, I can just smell the heavy smoke in the house and sometimes a borrower will excuse him/herself to go and get a quick smoke outside, usually while the spouse is filling out an ACH form. Even when they don't smoke in front of me, many times the smoke in the home is so thick that my clothes reek of it after only being in their home for an hour or less to sign the docs. I do wash my clothes as soon as I get home. Thankfully, I find that situation happens only rarely for me.

CopperheadVA

Edited by - CopperheadVA on 08/03/2011 3:45:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  12:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minority opinion: It's their home and you are earning a fee for bringing their loan signing right to their home for their convenience. Notice all the 'their's in that sentence and only one 'you'? If anyone came into my home and put on a surgical mask, I'd seriously question their sanity and/or common sense.

As smoking is forbidden just about everywhere these days, my experience has been that even in their own home, most smokers will ask if it's OK to smoke. That's your cue to say very politely that you really are allergic and would prefer they didn't.

An alternative would be to politely tell them at the door that you are very allergic to smoke and if they wish to smoke, they'll need to have another notary handle the signing at a later date. I like this the least, but feel that you've told 'em and it's now their decision. As it's taken quite a while to get to this point, they will probably just want to get it done and will refrain from smoking.

Many, if not most, signers offer me coffee, water, soda...and I politely & laughingly refuse saying I appreciate the offer, but I'd probably spill it on your paperwork..and that's a big no-no, so maybe when we're all done... (But I leave.) I've noticed that they usually take the hint and will not have a drink on the table, either.

There are many jobs that require somewhat lengthy in-home visits...appliance repair, carpet cleaning/installation, painters..to mention a few. How long do you think they would be employed once customers start complaining?

Go to Top of Page

n/a

California
1 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  10:32:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by laurams

...signing in the customer's home when they smoke inside of it. I don't encounter this very often, but I sure would like to handle it with tact and with a positive result too.

I am not a smoker and am allergic to cigarette smoke. My eyes burn, my throat gets scratchy, and I get a strong headache. I don't get asthmatic or anything, but when people smoke I generally get mildly sick the rest of the day and part of the next....

I haven't done enough mobile notarization to have encountered this, but you bring up something for me to think about. I grew up in a smoking household, and as a result *do* suffer from asthma. Smoke and perfumes will trigger it. I experience also a lot of the other symptoms you mention.

Thanks for the heads up to think about that when agreeing to do a mobile job. (So far I've only done it at a church and a hair salon other than at my office or a non-smoking home.) Here in Northern California, 75% of the time being outdoors would work. (Note: many places now disallow smoking within a certain distance of entrances to commercial/public buildings so smokers can't hang around the door, under the protection of eaves/overhangs!)

I think Dannotary's response about a mask is helpful - except it does nothing for the affect on your eyes. You also will have to bathe and wash your clothing afterward.
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  8:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
might try wearing a surgical mask and just tell them its because you have a 'condition'. It might help. THey might decide to be decent and get over smoking til you leave if they have a modicum of consideration. I just get thru it because although I never smoked and suffer the same effects as you do, it is their home. For houses and people who just plain smell bad, and I have been in some houses that the smell could gag a maggot, I always carry in my briefcase some small bottle of either Tiger Balm or some 4711 FLorida water or anything else you want to put on your upper lip to kill odors. When law enforcement has to haul out a decomposing body they smear Vicks under their nostrils to kill the smell.
Go to Top of Page

laurams

Florida
3 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  12:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a topic I haven't seen before, and I'd be very interested in hearing others' opinions on how they would handle it. It has to do with signing in the customer's home when they smoke inside of it. I don't encounter this very often, but I sure would like to handle it with tact and with a positive result too.

I am not a smoker and am allergic to cigarette smoke. My eyes burn, my throat gets scratchy, and I get a strong headache. I don't get asthmatic or anything, but when people smoke I generally get mildly sick the rest of the day and part of the next. In my state, smokers have almost nowhere to smoke, so its not usually a problem for me, unless its in their own home. Most of them I seem to encounter don't seem to think about it, but I have the feeling about half of them could care less. And those seem to be the chain smokers.

I'm in two minds about the whole thing.

a) Its their house, everybody tells them they can't smoke here, they can't smoke there, and now I come in, tell them I'm allergic and ask them if they could go outside or withhold it for the next 30-45 minutes.
b) Its only for 45 minutes, if they need to do it they can go outside, its not like I'm asking them to not smoke the whole day.

I live in Florida, so for about 9 months out of the year, going outside to a porch means sweating to death and getting chewed on by mosquitoes, not to mention not everybody has a table and chairs or a porch for that matter. And being outside next to a smoker helps a little but doesn't cut out all the effects.

I'd be particularly interested in what our smoking notaries have for suggestions. I'm not bashing smokers, I just want to try something that would help me without offending them.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.