123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Notary Tips
 How far will you travel?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  4:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
For loan signings, I will travel 50+ miles if the company will agree to pay for extended travel. For general notary work, it depends...if they are outside of 20 miles, and still between normal business hours, I will refer them to the UPS Store, AAA office or provide a notary directory so they can find a notary in their area. If it's the weekend or after hours, I will give them the option of meeting me at the coffee shop or fast food restaurant near me (no travel fee charged) or I can travel to them at $XX fee.

I don't gauge people or prey on their procrastination because it's Sunday or a holiday. I charge the same fee seven days per week. I only charge differently for the hour of day, but not the day itself.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  01:05:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How far will you travel?
Many notaries have different limits to how far they will go. Some are really busy and will only go a few minutes away from their home, while others will go up to five hours away. Sometimes it depends on how hungry you are. My opinion is to travel as far as a reliable company will pay you to travel. If you don't know the company, don't go too far. If a company is not reliable about paying, don't go too far. But, if you have complete trust in a company, I would go anywhere for them night or day. A good customer is like gold.

Travel fee explanations?
One of our notaries explains that his fees are for people with more money than time. For those with more time than money, they should go to the county clerk to get notarized for free ( in his state ). And, "NO", they don't work at night or on Sunday.

Many states don't allow notaries to charge for travel.
Arizona is a state where notaries can not make a living charging what the state allows them to charge for travel. This creates a huge problem, and many notaries are dropping out, while others are charging more than they are allowed to. So far, nobody has gotten in trouble, but we learned that the state is sniffing around to see which notary is breaking the rules.

Notarizing at Starbucks.
I'll have the acknolwedgment latte please. If clients don't want to pay to travel, meet them at Starbucks. Just don't spill mocha on the documents. Make sure they call once they arrive or you will be sitting and waiting for a long time. Clients are never on time!

$50 travel fees for nearby jobs?
Many notaries can get away with charging a $50 travel fee to go only a few blocks or miles away. Many signers don't shop around and want someone fast, or want someone who they trust to do their work. If you are busy doing something else, you can pick and choose your jobs and make quick money doing quick notary jobs.

Further reading:

Notary opinions about travel fees
http://www.123notary.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2623

Travel fees / Pricing formula
http://www.123notary.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4033

Travel fees, waiting time, and more... notary discussion
http://www.123notary.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1676

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.