123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Notary Tips
 Which states allow credible witnesses?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2016 :  2:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is one of my favorite older posts if you scroll down. Somebody just asked me about credible witnesses in Florida.

Go to Top of Page

vanotary

Virginia
3 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  05:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit vanotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
from the VA SOC,"Satisfactory evidence of identity" means identification of an individual based on (i) examination of one or more of the following documents bearing a photographic image of the individual's face and signature: a United States Passport, a certificate of United States citizenship, a certificate of naturalization, an unexpired foreign passport, an alien registration card with photograph, a state issued driver's license or a state issued identification card or a United States military card or (ii) the oath or affirmation of one credible witness unaffected by the document or transaction who is personally known to the notary and who personally knows the individual or of two credible witnesses unaffected by the document or transaction who each personally knows the individual and shows to the notary documentary identification as described in subdivision (i).

vanotary
Virginia
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  04:06:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MI only allows the use of a single but mutually-known credible witness (the witness must personally know both the signer and the notary). Good luck with that.

The members of the Notary Public Administrators -NPA (sadly, not all states have a representative member, my own state is absent) are working towards the goal of Uniform laws being accepted. Their conversations are VERY interesting, and the list-serve is open to anyone (although can tax your e-mail, I warn you!) To join, go to NASS.org (Nat'l Assoc of Secretaries of State), the NPA is a section of that org.

Last week they did a 'show of hands' on BGC's, and almost all of them followed the same protocol - doing BGC's only upon complaint against a particular notary.
Go to Top of Page

Maple

51 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  04:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a Uniform Law Commission (and a few other organizations with similar goals) which drafts suggested uniform laws that the states might want to adopt. In some areas, almost all states have done this, such as the Uniform Commercial Code or the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act. The uniform law on notarial acts has not been widely adopted. You can see the most recent drafting process at http://www.nccusl.org/Update/CommitteeSearchResults.aspx?committee=304
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  8:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The list for credible witnesses is interesting. You would think that all the states would have the same rules regarding this for all of us. For example, I think all notaries should be required to have testing and mandatory education as well as background checks. I realize it is a state specific thing but it has always baffled me as to why all the rules are different from state to state being a notary in the first place. Since we all are basically responsible for the same duties. It would be so much easier for all parties if we all had the same set of rules to adhere to.

Carmen

Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  06:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arkansas does not seem to address this at all. So I assume, lacking any criteria, credible witnesses are not allowed.

Go to Top of Page

Maple

51 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  09:00:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vermont's Short Guide for Notaries Public (http://vermont-archives.org/notary/guide/pdf/NOTARY%20GUIDE%202006.pdf) says on page 10 that one credible witness known to the notary may be used and, optionally, the witness may be required to swear to the identity of the signer.

The suggested witness oath contains no mention of the signer not having an ID card, and although "identification papers" are mentioned on the same page, there is no recommendation to rely on them. The overall tone of the page seems to be personal knowledge is best, a witness known to the notary is second best, and ID papers are a distant third.
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  04:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In many states, when using one (1) credible witness, the witness must be known by BOTH the notary and the signer. For those states that allow two (2) credible witnesses, some require that the witnesses attest to a set of specific facts, which includes wording in substantially the same form as "That it is the reasonable belief of the witnesses that the circumstances of the person whose signature is to be notarized are such that it would be very difficult or impossible for that person to obtain another form of identification."

The Florida Governor's Reference Manual (2001) goes on to say:
quote:
When using these methods of identification, it is a good practice to have the witnesses also sign the document being notarized.

Although not required, if the document has sufficient space, you may want to print or type the witnesses’ statement on the notarized document itself. If it is on a separate paper, then you should keep it in your records, rather than attach it to the notarized document. Additionally, your notarial certificate should state that the form of identification you relied upon was the sworn written statement of a (two) credible witness(es): name(s) .

Keep in mind that these provisions are for the purpose of identifying certain people who do not have other identification and do not replace the “presence” requirement. The person whose signature is being notarized must be present at the time of the notarization.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  12:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is information about which states allow credible witnesses. I got this information from notary law primers, handbooks, and the internet.

AZ - (1) Credible "person" that must be known to the notary
CA- (1) witness if the notary knows the witness, or (2) unknown witnesses
FL - (1) witness if the notary knows the witness, or (2) unknown witnesses.
GA- (1) witness if the notary knows the witness, or (2) unknown witnesses.
MA - (1) credible witness that must be known to the notary
MI - (1) credible witness that must be known to the notary
MO - (2) credible witnesses that may or may not be known to the notary
NH - (1) credible witness that is known to the notary
NJ - (1) credible witness that is known to the notary
NC - (1) credible witness that is known to the notary
NV - (1) requires a special acknowledgment form for credible witnesses.
OH - (1) credible witness that is known to the notary
OR - (1) credible witness that is known to the notary
PA - (1) credible witness that is known to the notary
SC- (1) but they don't need to be known to the notary
TN - (2) credible witnesses
VA - Not allowed. No credible witnesses allowed.
UT - (1) credible witness that is known to the notary
WA - (1) Credible witness that must be known to the notary.
We don't have information about other states.

Please visit our glossary page about credible witnesses
http://www.123notary.com/glossary/?credible-witness

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.