123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Notary Tips
 Black ink or Blue ink?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1 1 person liked this post.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pbs_notary

Virginia
30 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  4:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the companies I work for requires blue ink. What I normally do if it is not stated in the confirmation I asked what are the preference and most always say blue only one says black.

In VA I was always told that is was black ink.

Gladys in VA
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  10:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think any lender-title companies use color printers for loan doc printing. It is cost prohibitive and all loans to my knowledge are always printed in black. Never ever seen any in colored ink. A lot of title companies like blue so they can tell the originals from the copies. Occasionally, the documents already have a note on them specifying the color of preference.
But I always ask when accepting a job if there is any ink preference. It s always best to ask. I remember Ditech always wanted black. If you used blue you would have to go back and sign in black..what a pain in the you know what those were. lol

Carmen
Go to Top of Page

joanbergst

California
360 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  9:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit joanbergst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think in the last 3 years (since Country Wide's meltdown in 2007) that blue ink has become the default color for loan documents.
So many loans in CA are FHA & VA and they want blue that the whole loan signing industry has gone to blue ink.

Just my opinion and other notaries can have much different experience.

Joan Bergstrom
24/7 To Riverside & San Bernardino Counties.
CA State Notary Exam Instructor For www.notaryclasses.com
www.joanbergstromnotarypublic.com
joan.bergstrom@yahoo.com
Cell: 951-522-4919
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  3:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Per Chapter 7 - Notarial Certificates, Page 26 of the OR Handbook:

"4. Notary signature, which must match the official signature, signed on the notarial application. The notary’s signature may be in any color of ink that is easily reproducible; black and dark blue are recommended"

http://www.sos.state.or.us/corporation/forms/pdf/notary/1500.pdf

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell
Go to Top of Page

n/a

Oregon
2 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  2:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Oregon notaries are always done in black

Barbara M Bass
Go to Top of Page

DianaNotary

California
171 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  10:38:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit DianaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don’t think that there is a law about the ink color (or at least I am not aware of it).
What I know for sure is that if the documents are not signed as the title/lender wants them, the Notary goes back to sign with the “correct” ink color at his/her expense….
So, it’s really the “Companies” who make the law about their Ink preferences. Lately, i am receiving this preferences along with the specific instructions for the signing, so there is no confusion about it at the signing table. From my experience, I know that most of the loans have to be signed in blue ink. However, some of the banks ONLY accept black ink signatures.

http://www.DianaNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  03:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Craig - I think the statute that comes into play on this (in all states) is relative to recording.

Here in MI, it's like some great Urban Myth that blue ink won't record. All the recording statutes I've read (over the years, I've probably read them all) say/intend the same thing: 'all printing must be in black'. To my simple thinking, this is in reference to the text, and the same section will continue to stipulate font size, page margins, etc.

In MI, it gets widely interpreted as ALL printing, INCLUDING hand-printing (venue, dates, etc).

In my 'inside' jobs, I never EVER had anything kicked back from any county (across the Mid-West) recording for hand-printing with blue ink, and I mean in over 10,000 mtgs & deeds. But the myth continues, you can't (or shouldn't) debate it with clients, you just go along to get along.

I also did post-close audits, and that prompted me to include a blue-ink requirement in our closing instructions, as it is far more easy to determine a signature is original when it's blue.

**perhaps an interesting point, that I had such control/ability to add such stipulations to the closing instructions, which meant TC's were then bound by this contract to adhere to. Now, we sold loans to all the major investors, there was no issue with ink color there.

TC's that had a working relationship with us ('knew' us) would call and ask "Do you care, REALLY?" I'd NEVER have a loan re-closed over INK COLOR, no reason for that.

There's been a HUGE 'brain drain' in this (and many other) industries, though. Fewer & fewer people with a broad, extensive background & valid reasons for their decisions - more and more people doing things arbitrarily.
Go to Top of Page

cnaylor

California
32 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  10:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit cnaylor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No state laws in CA. I use blue ink unless black is specifically requested. It is however curious how often I get CA loans from out of state Escrow companies stating CA laws require black ink to record.

Craig/CA
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  02:00:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Black ink verses blue ink. What laws do your state have about ink? Do strange signing companies ask you to sign in blue? Which color is better? Please read this forum post to get some background information:
http://www.123notary.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2196

Some people like blue ink because you can tell that it hasn't been photocopied -- or at least that was the case twenty years ago before the invention of color printers.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.