123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Newbie & Mentoring Section
 backdating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  3:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Folks, let's remember there is a distinction between the date on documents and the notarization date. The borrower can write any date they choose to write (IMHO) anywhere - backdating refers to using any date (forward or backward) other than the current date by the notary.

Just last week Columbus (with his ship's master's photo ID) had me notarize his claim to the Americas. He dated it May 1st, 1492 - that is the document date. No problem to me. I notarized his signature using the date he appeared before me on acknowledgement.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

dfye@mcttelecom.com

New Hampshire
681 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  3:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit dfye@mcttelecom.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Vince. I went into the link and found it to be informative.

Legal Eagle Para Professional Services
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  2:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please follow this link: http://www.fdic.gov/regulations/laws/rules/6500-1400.html

Go to Top of Page

dfye@mcttelecom.com

New Hampshire
681 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  2:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit dfye@mcttelecom.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where does Regulation Z come from?

Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  1:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please see the following sections from Regulation Z. The part regarding waiver is highlighted in RED :

(d) Effects of rescission. (1) When a consumer rescinds a transaction, the security interest giving rise to the right of rescission becomes void, and the consumer shall not be liable for any amount, including any finance charge.
(2) Within 20 calendar days after receipt of a notice of rescission, the creditor shall return any money or property that has been given to anyone in connection with the transaction and shall take any action necessary to reflect the termination of the security interest.
(3) If the creditor has delivered any money or property, the consumer may retain possession until the creditor has met its obligation under paragraph (d)(2) of this section. When the creditor has complied with that paragraph, the consumer shall tender the money or property to the creditor or, where the latter would be impracticable or inequitable, tender its reasonable value. At the consumer's option, tender of property may be made at the location of the property or at the consumer's residence. Tender of money must be made at the creditor's designated place of business. If the creditor does not take possession of the money or property within 20 calendar days after the consumer's tender, the consumer may keep it without further obligation.
(4) The procedures outlined in paragraphs (d)(2) and (3) of this section may be modified by court order.
(e) Consumer's waiver of right to rescind. (1) The consumer may modify or waive the right to rescind if the consumer determines that the extension of credit is needed to meet a bona fide personal financial emergency. To modify or waive the right, the consumer shall give the creditor a dated written statement that describes the emergency, specifically modifies or waives the right to rescind, and bears the signature of all the consumers entitled to rescind. Printed forms for this purpose are prohibited, except as provided in paragraph (e)(2) of this section.
(2) The need of the consumer to obtain funds immediately shall be regarded as a bona fide personal financial emergency provided that the dwelling securing the extension of credit is located in an area declared during June through September 1993, pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 5170, to be a major disaster area because of severe storms and flooding in the Midwest. 36a In this instance, creditors may use printed forms for the consumer to waive the right to rescind. This exemption to paragraph (e)(1) of this section shall expire one year from the date an area was declared a major disaster.
(3) The consumer's need to obtain funds immediately shall be regarded as a bona fide personal financial emergency provided that the dwelling securing the extension of credit is located in an area declared during June through September 1994 to be a major disaster area, pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 5170, because of severe storms and flooding in the South. 36b In this instance, creditors may use printed forms for the consumer to waive the right to rescind. This exemption to paragraph (e)(1) of this section shall expire one year from the date an area was declared a major disaster.
(4) The consumer's need to obtain funds immediately shall be regarded as a bona fide personal financial emergency provided that the dwelling securing the extension of credit is located in an area declared during October 1994 to be a major disaster area, pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 5170, because of severe storms and flooding in Texas. 36c In this instance, creditors may use printed forms for the consumer to waive the right to rescind. This exemption to paragraph (e)(1) of this section shall expire one year from the date an area was declared a major disaster.
(f) Exempt transactions. The right to rescind does not apply to the following:
(1) A residential mortgage transaction.
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  09:16:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gentlebreeze

The RTC CAN be waived if there's an emergency, a letter is presented to the lender, and the lender agrees. Google RTC, Waiver.

Can you be a bit more specific as to the source of your post. When I Google "RTS, Waiver" I get thousands of possibilities.

Personally, I doubt if the RTC can be nullified (even by mutual agreement) - some "rights" just cant be "given away" - are you referring to funding prior to the recession date? That certainly is an option for the lending institution - but the RTC would still exist and create possible complications - if invoked by the borrower.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  09:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gentlebreeze

The RTC CAN be waived if there's an emergency, a letter is presented to the lender, and the lender agrees. Google RTC, Waiver.

Can you be a bit more specific as to the source of your post. When I Google "RTS, Waiver" I get thousands of possibilities.

Personally, I doubt if the RTC can be nullified (even by mutual agreement) - some "rights" just cant be "given away" - are you referring to funding prior to the recession date? That certainly is an option for the lending institution - but the RTC would still exist and create possible complications - if invoked by the borrower.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  06:03:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had this issue twice last week. Checked with the different title companies on each. One had the "short" name corrected and initialed and the other had the bo write the full name instead of the short version with no correction. Fortunatly, the ID's covered the full name on all.
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  04:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dfye@mcttelecom.com

I am with you on this one Renee. Sign exactly as you see it. Utilize the a/k/a for variations.

Murphy's third corollary: For every good approach, there is an obstruction.

What to do in the case cited (Johnny B Good, John Good) when; as is often the case; an AKA is NOT included?

Ken

Edited by - edelske on 03/27/2008 04:26:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

dfye@mcttelecom.com

New Hampshire
681 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  09:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit dfye@mcttelecom.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am with you on this one Renee. Sign exactly as you see it. Utilize the a/k/a for variations.

Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  07:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahhh - gotcha. Yep, I see that particular issue all the time - title one way and lender another. I have them sign as each doc has been prepared, and I add each name variant used to all a/k/a's in the pkg, regardless of whose it is (lender and/or title)

So - Title doc printed "Joe Smith", signed "Joe Smith"
Lender doc printed "Joe C. Smith", signed "Joe C. Smith"
A/K/A - make sure each variant of the name is represented

Title docs ARE copied and sent with pkg to lender, some will stay in loan file, lender will want those variant signatures 'covered' by having them linked together via the A/K/A.
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  06:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Renee,
I think I did a poor job in bringing up the issue I was trying to raise. Let me try again.
The borrower signs his name neatly and readable.
The bank docs say "Johnny B. Good"
The title Co. docs say "John Good"
thus the docs sent to ME differ.
Should Mr. Good sign as preprinted (under the line) - thus with variation - or in a consistant manner - if so - how should he sign?

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  04:24:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My initial post was pretty wordy, as I tried to offer my best and most all-inclusive opinions to a pretty complicated topic. To address one little part taken out of context would just mean having to pretty much repeat the entire post.

Key to the whole signature issue, I think, are these 2 points:

1. A person's signature is not TEXT, it is a MARK that stands for text, it is in essence a .tif or .gif file, not a .txt file.

2. It is also an algebra equation, and one that the borrower computes. B says "THIS [.gif] stands for/equals THIS [.txt of name]. It is the equation that must remain consistantly 'true'.
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  7:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renee

When you ask him to sign that ONE piece of paper DIFFERENTLY, you negate the signatures on all the rest of the documents. For some reason, people do this all the time.

Consistancy would be great IF - there is consistancy in the pre-printed name UNDER the signature line. VERY often the name varies (usually only in inclusion/omission of middle initial) between the BANK and the TITLE CO docs. This is very common. The general rule is to have docs signed as preprinted - so - which do you feel takes priority? Signing as preprinted or signing consistantly. If the latter use the BANK or TITLE CO variation?

I doubt if there is a always right answer - my approach is to have them sign as preprinted - and if it varies between the two sources - so be it. But, I am sure open to suggestions on a better way.....

Ken
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  5:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New York Law says:

§175.40 Issuing a false certificate.

A person is guilty of issuing a false certificate when, being a public servant authorized by law to make or issue official certificates or other official written instruments, and with intent to defraud, deceive or injure another person, he issues such an instrument, or makes the same with intent that it be issued, knowing that it contains a false statement or false information. Issuing a false certificate is a class E felony.

ps: class E felony = max of 4 years

Ken
Go to Top of Page

n/a

Virginia
5 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  3:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I work for a lender as a closer. The rate has to be good on the day the loan funds or disburses. Often a LO can get a one day extension. Typically the policy in the industry is that it cost them .125% in points or cost to the loan fee to extend for 7 days. If the wait until the lock is actually expired before they request the extension then it usually goes to the worst case pricing which is usually the current market rate. Anyway, policies will vary depending on the lender and the business relationship.
Go to Top of Page

civey

North Carolina
76 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  10:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dawn

I once had a rainy Friday night signing in a Friendly's where the borrower refused to sign because the LO told her she would have a lower interest rate than what was on the docs. We talked in detail about the RTC and she called her dad who advised her not to sign. No problem - Signing Company appreciated effort etc and I would be paid a print/trip fee. Monday morning the LO calls me stating that due to circumstances he could not get her the rate he "promised" her and the rate on her loan expired Friday and she was willing to back date. I called the company that hired me and they were adament that I not do it. As it was explained to me by a notary I know, if at some point she found herself in a bad situation it could back to haunt me. I did look up her mortgage and the LO have someone back date it. Oh, and he told me that he use to work for Ameriquest and they did that all time. Not me.

This sounds really fishy. The rule to my knowledge is that the rate has to be in effect until it funds, which means the RTC days count. Example: 30 day lock which would expire on 3/30 means the loan would have to be signed on the 27th, if all dates fall on a work day. Sounds to me like the LO was trying to get himself out of a mess and took a hit for it. They may have backdated the loan for no reason. She may have gotten the rate she wanted, but the LO took a hit on the back end to save face.
Go to Top of Page

dawn

Pennsylvania
34 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  05:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit dawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I once had a rainy Friday night signing in a Friendly's where the borrower refused to sign because the LO told her she would have a lower interest rate than what was on the docs. We talked in detail about the RTC and she called her dad who advised her not to sign. No problem - Signing Company appreciated effort etc and I would be paid a print/trip fee. Monday morning the LO calls me stating that due to circumstances he could not get her the rate he "promised" her and the rate on her loan expired Friday and she was willing to back date. I called the company that hired me and they were adament that I not do it. As it was explained to me by a notary I know, if at some point she found herself in a bad situation it could back to haunt me. I did look up her mortgage and the LO have someone back date it. Oh, and he told me that he use to work for Ameriquest and they did that all time. Not me.
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  6:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I simply ask the "backdate" requester to write their request on their letterhead stationary, in detail, sign it; and fax it to me for my records. Aint happened yet - if it did I would send it to their state attorney general's office. End problem. It is a crime to ask me to commit a crime. I dont take that lightly.
Ken
Go to Top of Page

Stamper

North Carolina
17 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  10:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stamper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey there, "Stamper" here -- I actually started this thread a looong time ago. I was new at this (I suppose I still am) and I had been asked to do this many times. The state notary class I attended didn't cover this, and I really thought it was ok if everyone consented. After all, I could ensure that the signer was who they claim to be, and that's my job.

"lkassis" answered my question first. Backdating circumvents federal law.

Since then, several companies have contacted me and requested this from me, and I always refuse. I have found that the companies that order closings sometimes have bad people. I only regret that I once lost a good client because I willing to backdate documents, believing that it was ok to do.

Thank you for helping me, those of you with helpful comments!

- Stamper
Go to Top of Page

drogers

California
9 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  10:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit drogers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Recently I had a company form North Carolina ask me to pre date 2 sets of loan docs. I'm in California. I thought that odd as usually they want you to backdate. And I had never heard of this. I thought maybe this is something they do there. After doing a little research and calling a friend thats a Notary here in my area I learned this as bad as backdating. I find it amazing what these loan companies want us to do.

drogers
Go to Top of Page

dfye@mcttelecom.com

New Hampshire
681 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  06:08:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit dfye@mcttelecom.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NEVER BACK DATE. You are at risk as a notary. It is not legal.

Go to Top of Page

joanbergst

California
360 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  2:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit joanbergst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the borrower sign the way it is printed.

Joan Bergstrom
24/7 To Riverside & San Bernardino Counties.
State Notary exam teacher for www.notaryclasses.com
www.joanbergstromnotarypublic.com
joan.bergstrom@yahoo.com
Cell: 951-522-4919
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  11:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm answering this old post to revitalize it since it was so popular.
Go to Top of Page

Kate

California
8 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  10:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by notarydi

What do you do when the name is different throughout the package; for instance, when the lender docs have one version and the title docs have another?

I have had borrower's names shown 4 different ways in one set of loan docs. I have them sign as it is printed on each document and then list all the names on the Signature/Name Affidavit. Newver had a problem.
Go to Top of Page

Stamper

North Carolina
17 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  8:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stamper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the situation . . . .
A North Carolina signing agent is asked to notarize loan documents with yesterday's date so that all the document dates will match. No one is trying to do anything underhanded. The borrower understands that his 3 day "right of recission" is going to be cut by a day, but he's ok with that because he wants his cash a day sooner.

No one is trying to create a false alibi with the fake date. It's merrly a matter of not having to create new documentation.

Is this illegal? Is is immoral? Is it possible the notary can lose his or her commission?

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.