123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Newbie & Mentoring Section
 Background check standards
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kimcole132

North Carolina
100 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  6:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mind paying $18 to the DOJ to knock this out. Where do I find it on the web? Or can I order it on the web? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  3:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with Brenda and adding that a BGC is history--worthless the minute the ink is dry.

Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  2:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My NNA screening has been good for one thing only - I added an appropriate snippet of it to my web site. A few folks have commented on it positively. Things are what you make of them.......

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

eefairy303

Texas
47 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  3:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit eefairy303's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you got that right! we do a lot of work for relatively little pay compared to what everyone else makes. give us a break!!

quote:
Originally posted by BrendaTx

The background check thing was the biggest scam yet on notaries.

Trans Union Title: Hey! We sell background checks...let's make notaries "buy" them from us...we "could" do it for free, but it will make money for our company...pure profit! Yay!

XYZ Notary Mfg. Plant: Dang, membership sales are off...what can we "sell" our current membership? WE KNOW...we'll go to lenders and title companies and ask them to require bgcs! Eureka!

Suspect this of lenders and title companies: We'll buy bcgs in bulk and make $xx per notary and make them get them through us! We charge $45 and make a $35 profit per vendor. Hooray!

I am so, so, so sick of the scams perpetrated upon notaries. They are already bcg'd for cryin' out loud!

I never took one...won't do it...but I have offered to allow them to take the money out of my first signing with them after the bcg. They always agreed, but never did it. By the time the Notary Plant was selling them I was no longer a member.

NSA Book - Free at
http://tinyurl.com/4t4f3p

Go to Top of Page

BrendaTx

Texas
60 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  5:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit BrendaTx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The background check thing was the biggest scam yet on notaries.

Trans Union Title: Hey! We sell background checks...let's make notaries "buy" them from us...we "could" do it for free, but it will make money for our company...pure profit! Yay!

XYZ Notary Mfg. Plant: Dang, membership sales are off...what can we "sell" our current membership? WE KNOW...we'll go to lenders and title companies and ask them to require bgcs! Eureka!

Suspect this of lenders and title companies: We'll buy bcgs in bulk and make $xx per notary and make them get them through us! We charge $45 and make a $35 profit per vendor. Hooray!

I am so, so, so sick of the scams perpetrated upon notaries. They are already bcg'd for cryin' out loud!

I never took one...won't do it...but I have offered to allow them to take the money out of my first signing with them after the bcg. They always agreed, but never did it. By the time the Notary Plant was selling them I was no longer a member.

NSA Book - Free at
http://tinyurl.com/4t4f3p
Go to Top of Page

Kelly

California
105 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  04:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In California, ALL Notaries Public are now required to have a DOJ AND FBI bgc as a requirement of their commission. The cost is about $80 (give or take depending on the agency who conducts the livescan). Jim is correct - the Lexis Nexis report is the way to go - thanks for the recommendation Jim!

Kelly Robertson
Coach - Mentor - Instructor
One-of-a-Kind, "How To" Workshops for New Notaries & Signing Agents http://www.SigningAgentCoach.com
Go to Top of Page

eefairy303

Texas
47 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  10:07:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit eefairy303's Homepage  Reply with Quote
DOJ charges $18.00
Go to Top of Page

Shannon

California
360 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  08:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shannon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FBI, or Department of Justice (DOJ).

Everyone else is simply looking to make money...

"A Quick Note"
www.aquicknote.net
Now Providing "Service of Process" in Orange County, CA
Go to Top of Page

jlissem

New Jersey
139 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  07:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit jlissem's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dan
Write to: Lexis Nexis P.O. Box 812289 Boca Raton Fl 33481 and request FREE copy of your report. They are required by law to provide you a copy once a year for you to check.
This is same company that does report for NNA.
Jim Lissemore
www.Flexo-Notaries.com
Go to Top of Page

Daniel M. McQuarrie

Maine
7 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  06:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Daniel M. McQuarrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so......can anyone give recommendations on where to get a good background check based on their own experience???

Daniel M. McQuarrie
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  09:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda for your imput! I continue to research this subject.

C

Go to Top of Page

lkassis

Iowa
60 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  10:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeremy,
Standards are not determined by the companies doing the background check. I assuming by standards you are referring to the criteria by which one passes or fails a background check.
Standards/Criteria for passing is determined by the company hiring the background check done.

Let's say 123 decided to offer it's members a bgc, 123 would determine the pass or fail criteria. 123 would also be the one determining what would be checked such as DMV, Federal, County level etc. This makes it very confusing for notaries to know if they are purchasing a product that will be acceptable to the different companies they work for.

One company may offer a bgc for as little as $10. This would most likely only be a federal check which is not very up to date and will not catch a lot of things. Others will only do a search on one county and the notary may have moved around. This is also not thorough.

It is best to either try to find out what the TCs etc will require in a backgrd check or to be sure where you purchase your bgc is approved by the companies you work for.

Cheap is not the best choice here. You will want to be sure to cover all bases that a company may want in a bgc so you do not rule yourself out from working for a company or have to have a more detailed check done later on.

Linda Kassis
Midwest Notary Association
www.mwna.net

Nothing in my posts should be construed as legal advice. I am not a licensed attorney in any state.

Edited by - lkassis on 11/21/2006 10:12:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  2:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Carmen,
Do you know what the standards are for companies who give background checks? What can you tell me? A few of our clients asked me and I only knew a few basic points about it. Thanks.
Sincerely yours,
Jeremy Belmont
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.