123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Posts not related to getting paid
 It's back!! Background Check Requests
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2009 :  12:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the years, FASS (now TCT-related) has tried all kinds of little gimmicks that probably put some money in their pockets along with taking it out of ours. I remember when nobody had a cell phone and pagers were all the rage...in order to work for them, you HAD to buy a pager and the service from ONE particular co. That didn't go over well, either and got dropped. They paid better then, too.

Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  5:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Lee. Bancserv did something similar awhile back.....claiming their client Countrywide wanted any notary doing their reverse mortgage signings to be background checked through their vendor....it wasn't the NNA but nonetheless it had to be through their vendor - even the DOJ/FBI background checks that CA notaries have to get to receive their commission wasn't good enough.

I basically told Bancserv to "take a hike", that I wasn't paying for their background check. I suppose I will miss out on work from any company demanding a background check through their vendor, unless they are willing to pay for it.
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  06:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've seen the 'threats'. Don't understand the logic of their rush to the bottom, either. And am willing to not work for them while they find out how well this works for them. If they've been recruiting...why aren't they using the new recruits and why am I still getting calls?

Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  05:58:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lee - I'm sure you've read elsewhere what they've said - they've been "recruiting" BGC compliant SA's for over 6 months to replace those who refuse to comply. Personally, I believe they're probably restructuring their fee schedule - downwards - and it won't bode well for their SA's.

Seriously, if you have a solid database of good signers, why would you (a) jeopardize that solid database, and (2) "recruit" people in anticipation of having to replace them? The person who responded to me flat out told me the EXPECTED a push back from closers with this new proposal.

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  05:50:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We went thru this b.s. a few years ago... and watched it slowly fade away. Now it's been cranked up again. Ignore it and it'll fade away again. I missed the when/how of TCT & FASS becoming connected somehow, but I believe you'll be seeing more FASS fees from TCT... so who needs it? I'm saying b-bye...as are many others. Let's see how that works for them.

Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  04:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wrote back to them and told them that although I have no problem having a BGC done, I refuse to have it done through their suggested vendor as I don't wish to re-join that organization nor do I wish to be re-certified with them (all pre-requisites for their BGC)...I was a member there for 2 years - the amount of work I got from that listing did not justify the expense.

TCT has been good to work with but they're not such a major part of my business that I'll miss them that much - I've done maybe 3-4 in the last 3 years for them and have had to argue with them to meet my fee at times. I've not been as lucky as another poster elsewhere who does a lot of business with them and gets $175 or more per closing with no arguments - sometimes I have to fight for $125 - if I were in his shoes I might have to really think hard on this because the bottom line would still be re-joining an organization that I don't wish to belong to - as I told TCT, I won't be held hostage by any organization.

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell

Edited by - LindaH on 05/24/2009 06:01:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

KanDoNotary

Oklahoma
69 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  9:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit KanDoNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I received this email message from Transcontinental Title on May 19, 2009:

Dear TransContinental Title Signing Professional:

We are experiencing a drastic increase in the number of our large lender customers requiring a signing agent who has submitted to and passed the National Notary Association (NNA) Background Check. These lenders are responding to instructions from federal banking regulators as they implement mandates of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Financial Services Modernization Act and its Interagency Guidelines. The measures were specifically designed to protect consumer privacy which remains a highly critical concern for all of First American and our customers. Simply stated, the NNA Background Check allows one standard for this information that is applicable nationwide. As a result, effective July 1st, 2009 we will require that all active signing professionals in our database submit to and pass the NNA Background Check.

All arrangements need to be made with the NNA directly for the NNA Background Check process. The NNA can be reached at www.nationalnotary.org or 1-800-876-6827. Upon completion of the NNA Background check, the NNA will notify TransContinental Title directly. WE DO NOT REQUIRE ANY RESPONSE OR INFORMATION IN ORDER TO UPDATE YOUR PROFILE WITH THIS NNA BACKGROUND CHECK INFORMATION. In order to comply with this requirement, the background check must be done through the NNA; other background reports are not acceptable as the elements are not the same as those found in the NNA report. All incurred expenses for this NNA Background Check are the responsibility of the signing agent and are not billable to TransContinental Title, First American or its affiliates. Unfortunately, failure to comply with this requirement by July 1st, 2009 will result in your removal from our data until such time as you complete the requirement.

We sincerely hope that you will support and assist us in this matter to better protect our customers and industry.

Sincerely,

TransContinental Title
Vendor Relations
1-866-688-8659
tct-vendor@tctitle.com

Any suggestions what to do?

Have Seal, Kan Travel!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.