123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Technical & Marketing Issues
 Background Screening?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1 1 person liked this post.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

apaloosa

54 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  3:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit apaloosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is in reply to Daniels comment - each party has safety concerns. I'm a woman that has to go out by herself so I do have concerns. I know some customers worry also. That's why they always have the option of meeting us at a bank, restaraunt, etc. It is a little more difficult for us to suggest that, but I have done so many times when I sense they feel uncomfortable.
As far as a customer knowing about us, well the company that can tell them a lot about us can tell others a lot about them too. So in one regard we are pretty safe out there and so are they.
There are always going to be persons of questionable character so we just have to try to take the best precautions that we can. A borrower can always have a friend visit during the signing. Many do.

Apaloosa
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  07:17:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I actually found a use for the NNA background $creening report.

I cut a snippit - the final clearance - and added the image to my web site showing that I have been "background screened" - adds a bit to the credibility.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com
Go to Top of Page

Steele

California
21 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  07:15:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steele's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I caved and did the NNA background check. I have gotten ZERO business from them and have had no title companies contacting me since I cleared this wonderful background check. No one has asked for this addtl. BGC. Yes, NNA's scam to make more money. I don't think I am renewing with them next year. I have never gotten business from them.
Go to Top of Page

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  11:27:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Linda,

I have the same NNA clearance.

I made a PDF of it and send it when asked.

So far, in the past couple of hundred signings - asked twice.

Such is life.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Daniel M. McQuarrie

Maine
7 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  10:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Daniel M. McQuarrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
True, but I'd say WE know more about them than they do US. But you're right...theres been a few times I wondered if I could hear the song to 'Deliverance" in the background!

Daniel M. McQuarrie
Go to Top of Page

Shannon

California
360 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  08:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shannon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The funny thing is, that we are at a greater danger than any potential client ever is. They know our information and how we were hired and the kind of car we drive... Maybe WE should demand bgc's on all clients?

Background checks by the state or FBI make sense. All the others are the NNA's brainchild as a new and unnecessary profit and revenue source...and, just another way to get our hard-earned money.

"A Quick Note"
www.aquicknote.net
Now Providing "Service of Process" in Orange County, CA
Go to Top of Page

Daniel M. McQuarrie

Maine
7 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  07:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Daniel M. McQuarrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be blunt and to the point: why dont we ask the lady who got raped by a notary or the guy who got robbed by a notary how they feel about requiring mobile notaries to have a bgc done on them? Let's face it, almost anyone can become a notary. If you've got nothing to hide than what's the big deal??!! oh...its your privacy you want to protect...well how about the unsuspecting borrower who opens their door to someone they have never met and invites them to sit down at their kitchen table...hows that for compromising your privacy!! they dont necessarially want a stranger in their house they just want their loan closed. everyone should quit their whining and have it done (at someone else's cost if you want to "stand tough" or your own if you want to continue to be used by certain agencies.. its the common issue of a "few bad apples" have caused this issue to be an issue.

Daniel M. McQuarrie
Go to Top of Page

jlissem

New Jersey
139 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  05:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit jlissem's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Renee
I have not had one client request it. I have had some potential ones ask about it. I send them copies of NL report and FBI check. Also list certification by USMNC.org. Thats all they get. Take it or leave it.
If they want to do their own they do not need my permission to do a vendor check. If they would request my permission I want to have access to the file of co. doing check under FCRA
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  03:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For whatever this is worth...
I totally agree with Renee on the damage to this industry that the NNA has done and will continue to try to do if we 'allow' them to convince (who--notaries, companies) that they are the 'only' BGC solution. I am not now, nor have I ever been a member (just to keep this commentary in perspective). I have had BGC's done by various & assorted co's at their expense before BGCs were made an issue by the NNA. Thus far, these 'other' BGCs have been accepted by the very few co's who have requested them. And I hasten to add that the co's that requested the BGCs are ones that I signed up with but for whom I've never done any work. Go figure~~

The NNA does NOT speak for all notaries--that much is obvious. I cannot see where James' Lexis Nexis BGC (done by the same outfit as the NNA has hired) can realistically, convincingly be 'turned down' by a company. But hairs are being split & re-split all over the place--and, frankly, nothing would surprise me--including that this whole thing just 'goes away' as its' time has not come yet. Like Enjoa & e-notarization...bunch of hype.
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  02:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim - I sure do appreciate the efforts you've put into this subject, and also in spreading information around as well

To date, only one client has requested a BGC, and they did it themselves. That was actually BEFORE the whole NNA deal came out.

Jim - have you been able to use the one you obtained yourself? Has anyone accepted it? My reason for asking is that once it's in your hands, how is the information secure? Unless it can be secured, I just can't see anyone accepting it - BUT that's just my own thinking, and I'd love to hear what you experience with it.

As far as what you're suggesting, Shannon - oh, no doubt the NNA is quite well aware of the thoughts I'd posted.
Go to Top of Page

Shannon

California
360 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  01:26:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shannon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Renee, have you voiced your opinions so eloquently to the NNA directly? I tend to agree with most of what you are saying but was scratching my head and wondering if the NNA has ever heard this kind of thoughtful, logical dissent...maybe we should get together and create a new organization? Doing it from the ground up could be a futile endeavor but ultimately would send NNA a message....
Go to Top of Page

jlissem

New Jersey
139 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  8:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jlissem's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Renee
Here is option. Send with cover letter requesting all info in their files.
Got back a 7 page report.

LEXISNEXIS® RISK & INFORMATION ANALYTICS GROUP

CONSUMER DISCLOSURE REQUEST FORM

If you wish to obtain a personal information disclosure report, you may complete, execute and submit this written disclosure request form along with a copy of two forms of identification at least one of which must be issued by a governmental entity (such as a drivers license, Social Security ID card, passport or military ID).

1) Identifying Information:

Please print clearly. Reference #:

Name: Other Names:

Address:

City: State: Zip:

Social Security Number: Date of Birth:

Driver’s License Number: Telephone Number(s):

Employer:

2) Identifying Documentation:

Forms of Identity Verification Submitted:
0Driver’s License 0Passport
0Social Security ID Card 0Military ID
0Other:

3) Authorization to release requested information:

I expressly request the release of all information in LexisNexis® Risk & Information Analytics Group files associated with me and further certify that all representations and information submitted as part of this requested are true and correct and that this request is not made to either initiate or perpetuate any fraudulent or otherwise illegal activity.

Signature: Date:

4) Return this Disclosure Request Form along with identifying documentation to:

LexisNexis® Risk & Information Analytics Group
Attn: Consumer Inquiry Department
P.O. Box 812289
Boca Raton, FL 33481

Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  8:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm re-posting the other 'half' of my opinion on this, so that my own position is clear.

I’m not at all opposed to BGC’s for this industry – I am opposed to the NNA’s presentation of this, their marketing strategy on this, their FAILED attempt towards monopolization, AND (lastly) their hugely negative impact upon this industry while proposing the appearance of benevolent representation.

My prior post was in regards to the ongoing dialog within the NSA community, the effect of that dialog being that we have:

1. Clearly and loudly spoken our collective dissent, and at the least we have placed a cog in the wheel of what could have become quite the marketing coup for the NNA.

2. Prevented the NNA BGC 'program' from becoming a means of FORCING industry-wide membership, which in turn would allow them to present themselves to OUR CLIENTS as THE representative 'voice' of NSA's. Please REMEMBER it was the NNA that represented to OUR CLIENTS as well as our competition that $50 is a "suggested minimum fee"; it was/is the NNA who travels the country flooding the fields with new NSA's who DO work for $50, and THOSE TWO THINGS ALONE have caused the greatest harm to our livelihood. Suffice to say, the NNA does NOT speak with a voice that represents ME!

3. Made it clear to those of our CLIENTS, through these board dialogs, that MANY (if not most?) of us are NOT aligned with the NNA BGC program, but ARE willing to subscribe to other viable options that pose us no consequential threat.
Go to Top of Page

naplesnsa

Florida
6 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  9:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit naplesnsa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Renee, thanks for taking the bull by the horns on this issue on 123Notary. I don't get over to this site very often, although I respect and admire the forum Jeremy has set up here :)
Please feel free to quote my N/R posts with regard to the GLB Act and BGC information, if you wish. I would like to keep the information circulating throughout our community, and you're doing a banner job here :) Thanks again, Renee!
Lisa P
[quote]Originally posted by Renee

Here's some points to consider:... end quote
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  8:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's some points to consider:

* Not all states follow the same protocol when commissioning notaries public. Some do BGC's, some don't, and all things in-between. With 50 states, and MILLIONS of NSA's to keep track of, it presents a logistical & economic nightmare.

* The vast majority of employees inside the lending industry are subject to BGCing, prior to employment. It is just logical that this same security measure might eventually be extended to us, in light of the huge risk we pose.

* To take personal affront to ANY part of this is, in my opinion, just ungrounded. You have to look at the WHOLE of the big picture, the vast numbers being dealt with, and the liability involved. I do not believe allowing someone to perform/obtain a BGC in any way implies that my charactor is somehow falling short - the reality is that there are multitudes of notaries public that shouldn't be entrusted with the public's vital personal information.

Go to Top of Page

dfye@mcttelecom.com

New Hampshire
681 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  10:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit dfye@mcttelecom.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I personally am totally against background screening. We had to go through a background check just to become a notary. To be a notary is to have prestige and good character.

By allowing others to background check us, we are admitting that we notaries MAY NOT have good character.

If we pass our state background checks, that should be enough. Why would we want to keep being checked out? WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO KEEP PROVING OURSELVES.

Legal Eagle Para Professional Services
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  06:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chapel, check our e-mail.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

n/a

1 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  05:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Linda,

Just wondering if you ever got any feedback on background screening as in the recent NNA. I also belong to NNA but am certified by another. I think the background screening is just another way to make money for NNA. Please let me know if you have discovered if it helps or hurts or is absolutely necessary.

Thanks

Nancy D

Nancy Duncan
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  07:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ugh...under wrong topic - sorry...I've reposted this in the proper forum.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  07:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know anything about the requirement that all loan signing agents MUST have a background check done by December 1, 2006 or not be able to do loan signings for the likes of First American Lenders Advantage, Fiserv, LandAmerica OneStop, LSI (a Fidelity National Title company), National Real Estate Information Services and Stewart Mortgage Information (a subsidiary of Stewart Title) —

This is something that was posted on the NNA website, who initially certified me, and I'm curious what's going on - I don't want to be precluded from doing signings, nor do I want to violate federal law/regulations, but so far not one company (and I've closed for LandAm too) has asked if I've had a background check done or told me that they need to do one before they can use me.

Input is appreciated.

Linda
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.