123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Newbie & Mentoring Section
 Dual application
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

venturanotary

California
13 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  09:53:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit venturanotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! Thank you to all of you who have commented. I do always try to reach the lender in this situation, but as you all know, they are frequently not available. I do think I understand what to do in this case, but I also learned other things from all the comments! I always appreciate that!

Sharon S. Young
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  05:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The "Joint Credit" intention notwithstanding, there is also software issues that can result in borrowers having separate 1003's. Most lenders now use software that is directly linked to the credit bureau, which allows the credit report information to be downloaded directly into each 1003. Since only married people have joint credit REPORTS, only married people can have their credit info imported this way, resulting in one 'joint' 1003. Unmarried co-borrowers, having separate credit reports, will result in two, separate 1003's despite co-borrowing on the same loan (if generated with this type of software).

Also ... if a married person initially applies for a mtg w/out their spouse, and the 1003 is generated - and then it is decided to ADD the spouse, the software can demand that the added 1003 be separately downloaded. So, you can end up with a married couple, with separate 1003's.

Just in case this topic wasn't enough fun already.
Go to Top of Page

vince

Kansas
324 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  3:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit vince's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a very long closing about a year ago with a newly married couple and both sets of parents as co-signers. Just logging everyone in was time consuming. The title company had very specific instructions to follow regarding the specific documents they wanted signed and by whom (they had customized most of the documents). Unfortunately, they also included signature affidavits for all six as well. Fortunately, they were all very nice people
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  08:34:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda. Good info.

Carmen

Go to Top of Page

lkassis

Iowa
60 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  07:23:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this link to be a very good explanation of joint credit and who should sign or not sign.

http://www.complianceheadquarters.com/ComplianceArticles/Lending_010808.aspx

Linda Kassis
United Notary Association (UNAA)
www.unitednotaries.org
www.halitek.com

If you are not riding the wave of change, you may find yourself under it. Ride the wave with the UNAA.
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  3:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got some good advice here. I have had this happen before and they each had their own 1003. But if there we have 3 signers. I would check the 1003s for the names as they appear on the application. If any names were missing then I would just call who hired me and ask them what they want me to do. I never interject what I feel should be done even if I know. It is not our place.

Carmen

Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  10:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have run into this quite often with young married couples and a parent co-signer, or a young person who is having their parents (both of them) co-sign.

Typically, with the 1003, if there are two people listed on the same 1003, they usually are applying for joint credit. Most lenders want individual borrowers who are not applying for joint credit to submit their own, individual 1003. The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) defines joint credit as credit applied to a husband and wife jointly. The rule of thumb that I was taught was if the applicants can (not that they do, but are able to) file a joint tax return, then they can apply for joint credit. But if the applicants cannot file a joint return, then they cannot apply for joint credit. Credit is reported against tax identification numbers (SSN in most cases). That's why the correlation to filing joint tax returns = ability to apply for joint credit.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  10:25:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree that it is best to ask the client on this. Only saw this once and it was 2 brothers--so am 'guessing' that it wasn't 'joint' credit, so each had his own appl. to sign as an individual.

Go to Top of Page

azdocsign

Arizona
89 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  5:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit azdocsign's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great advice Jeremy. I always ask my client how to have borrowers sign any document I am unsure about. This way you can always be certain to meet your client's specifications and they are pleased that you take the extra time to contact them.

Kathy Fletcher

Edited by - azdocsign on 07/16/2008 2:37:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  2:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carmen would be a better person to ask this question to. However, based on my experience, its up to the lender to decide who signs where. The notary is "just following orders" and asks people to sign where their names are unless they have been given specific instructions to do otherwise.

Go to Top of Page

venturanotary

California
13 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  10:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit venturanotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When there are more than one applicants on a loan, 3 for example, there will be 2 applications in the loan package. Who signs which application? Do they all sign both, by just squeezing in the signatures? Or just the one their name is listed on? If they just sign the one they are listed on, then nowhere are they saying that they understand that they are applying for joint credit.

Let me know, Carmen. Thank you!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.