123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Technical & Marketing Issues
 Venue - what county do I put it in?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  11:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Venue is the section of the notary certificate ( such as for Jurats or Acknowledgements ) where you put the COUNTY. You ALWAYS put the county you are performing the notarization in in the venue regardless of what the lender says otherwise you are not following correct notary procedure. If you don't know the county, then you can research it.

Sometimes you might be notarizing a borrower in a different county from where the property is. That has never been an issue in my experience.

The recorded documents ( like the Deed of Trust ) would be recorded in the county where the house is situated regardless of where you did the notary.
Go to Top of Page

dfye@mcttelecom.com

New Hampshire
681 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  12:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit dfye@mcttelecom.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please check this link for a sample acknowledgment for the State of Oklahoma. http://www.sos.state.ok.us/forms/NotaryGUIDE2004.pdf

It is a common practice for lenders to leave the state and county blank at the very top of the document. This can be very confusing for the notary. I have learned over the years (straight from the lenders mouths) that the county at the top of the document should be the one the property is located in. The text below it discusses the property so the county needs to reflect the text.

At the bottom of the document is the acknowledgment you will be notarizing. In this instance, you need to put the county you are in next to your acknowledgment as you the notary and the borrower is attesting to that fact as well.

SAMPLE

ERROR AND OMISSIONS/COMPLIANCE AGREEMENT

STATE OF OKLAHOMA
COUNTY OF OKLAHOMA (county of property)

In consideration of FILTHY RICH BANK (“lender”) extending funds (the “Loan”), in connection with the closing of the property located at

123 Middle Class Street
Woodlawn Park, OK

the undersigned (“Borrower”) agrees, upon request of Lender, its successors or assigns (“Note Holder”), or upon request of any person acting on behalf of Note Holder, to fully cooperate . . .

Date: ____________ ___________________
Borrower

STATE OF OKLAHOMA
COUNTY OF TULSA (county you are in)

Signed and attested before me on this ____ day of April, 2006 by _________________ (borrower).

(My commission expires: )
(My commission nuber: )

Please note that the formatting of the above sample does not reflect accuracy. Please follow the format from the link above (The notary public guide for Oklahoma). Email me if you are still confused.

Legal Eagle Para Professional Services
Go to Top of Page

n/a

Oklahoma
1 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  2:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please, just one more clarification on the county.
On documents such as "Error and Omissions/Compliance Agreement & Affidavit of Title"....There is a place for state & county at the beginning of the document (Usually right after the title of the document), then the body of the document and finishing with the place to notarize. The area where I'm placing the notary stamp will be state and then county where seated during signing. My county of commission under my signature. What about county & state at the beginning of document? I've been told that should also be county signing is taking place. Someone else said it should be county property is located in. I'm in Oklahoma. Thanks for your help.

dm
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  8:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am editing my previous reply because I was WRONG

Yes, MI DOES most definitely require the notary to include "Acting in the county of ______"

Edited by - Renee on 04/05/2006 05:56:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

n/a

2 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  10:09:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

In Michigan, it is required that you place the words, "Acting in the county of ________________" for each notary act. However, MOST notaries still do not do this. In fact, at my on closing recently, the notary (at the bank) did not do this. Everything went fine, but I knew it was in error.
Go to Top of Page

whitesatin007

11 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  01:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit whitesatin007's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply dfye. I looked into it and I have reached the same conclusion as you. Now I put the county where I'm actually doing the signing. I feel much better getting this straightened out so I can do it properly. Had no idea I was doing it wrong before until I read this thread. I'm surprised I had no negative repercussions for doing it wrong for so long.
Go to Top of Page

dfye@mcttelecom.com

New Hampshire
681 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  10:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit dfye@mcttelecom.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try looking through this website. http://www.ss.ca.gov/business/notary/notary.htm
I believe that you need to place the county you are in at the top of the acknowledgment and your information (name, state, expiration date, etc.)goes under your signature line.

Go to Top of Page

whitesatin007

11 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  09:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit whitesatin007's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay. So let me see if I am understanding this correctly. I have been doing loan signings for several years but am always open to learning new things that I never knew before.

I am a notary signing agent in California. My commission is in Contra Costa County. I live in Sacramento County because of a recent move. I perform signings in Sacramento, San Joaquin and sometimes Solano Counties (as well as others on an occassional basis). When the document asks for my State, I state "California" and when it asks for County, I state "Contra Costa" because that is where my commission is, even though I may be signing in a different county. So far, I haven't had any negative repercussions, but I certainly want to do this correctly. Can anyone from California lead me in the right direction?
Go to Top of Page

dfye@mcttelecom.com

New Hampshire
681 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  01:50:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit dfye@mcttelecom.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I second that BobbiCT

Go to Top of Page

BobbiCT

Connecticut
135 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  05:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit BobbiCT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the "county" question is in connection with the venue in your notarization block, then the correct answer is:

Your notarization block venue should contain the State and County where YOU and SIGNERS ARE when you perform the notarization.

For example: I am notarizing a document for borrowers who are mortgaging real property located in the City of Norwich, County of New London, Connecticut. We are signing everything in the Town of East Haddam, County of Middlesex, Connecticut.

All real property location references would be New London County, Connecticut.

My venue in my notarization block, however, would look like this:

State of Connecticut:
County of Middlesex: ss. East Haddam

You can verify this with your own State Notary Public commissioning office. Notarization venues are always where YOU & SIGNER are at the time of notarization. Easy way to remember: If the property is located in Texas or the papers were prepared in Texas and you are performing the notarization in Connecticut, you wouldn't use Texas as your notarization venue. Same holds true for county.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

Alabama
2 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  05:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am also new to this signing. I had the same question. I called the lending company and also the company who called me for notary services. They both said, the I would put the county in which the property is in, no matter what county I am doing the signing in. I would like someone to clarify this.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.