123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Technical & Marketing Issues
 Printers - What kind of do I need?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

edelske

New York
815 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  8:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit edelske's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been using a HP Laserjet 4100TN for years. NEVER NEVER jams - honest - never. The secret? There are actually two secrets:

1. Use HP Toner Ctgs, and decent paper, NOT the cheapest Staples in the white paper wrapper - get the "one better" in the plastic wrap.

2. Buy from a company that has a CERTIFIED HP Tech on staff. AND pay for an hour of the tech's time to TUNE the machine (about $125 and super worth the cost). The machine cost (as best as I recall $600) - it's 3 bin and the 2 main bins take a full ream of paper at a filling. The 3rd feeder is on the top and used to run double sided or booklets or other special function and is very rarely used by me.

It's a joy. I use Ethernet from my hub, and it can push out about 20-25 pages per minute - interspersed letter/legal. This workhorse will be printing for a long long time.

Almost forgot: Reams of paper have a smooth and a "rough" end. Always fan the paper and be sure the SMOOTH end feeds into the machine. It's easy to tell, just run your hand against the end of the ream after unwrapping it. You will quickly notice one end is smoother than the other. The smooth end IN - will feed more reliably.

Kenneth A Edelstein
Mobile Notary, Apostille / Legalization Processing & Fingerprinting
http://www.kenneth-a-edelstein.com

Edited by - edelske on 08/13/2012 8:12:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

California
7 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  3:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be very careful. I have learned the hard way.
I bought a P3015dn HP printer. Leaned it did not
have the dual tray function with out tray#3.
After 6mos and a long story, I found out today
that my new Mac does not support that function!!!
So, be sure your computers will talk to the printer you buy!!!
Go to Top of Page

ikesgal

5 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  9:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikesgal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am lucky I have 3 laser printers because I have been that busy I purchased and okidata dual tray--excellent product shop around for toner can be expensive. I also have 2 dell 3100cn they are both great dual trays and color around 300.00 plus toner is seperate containers and can be purchased seperatly
Go to Top of Page

dfye@mcttelecom.com

New Hampshire
681 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  02:49:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit dfye@mcttelecom.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most lenders want you to have a laser printer. Nevertheless, a inkjet can be acceptable if you have the capabilities to download and print in a short period of time.

The reason laser printers are so popular is because the ink goes into the paper and does not sit on top of the page, therefore, leaving the documents in a state of non-fading.

Don't be fooled about ink jets. Maybe the ink does fade, however, it still could take many years for that to happen.

Laser printers are the best way to go, but if you cannot afford one, you need to make due with what you have and hope that the lender has not blacklisted you as a result of an inkjet.

Legal Eagle Para Professional Services
Go to Top of Page

SSEmobile

12 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  08:38:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit SSEmobile's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Amanda, this may be a stupid question, but is there any reason why you can't just print all pages on legal size paper and process them that way? Do your clients care what size the paper is when it gets back to them?

If not, I'd say print them once, and cut your workload!

Al Stankewicz
(_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)
(_)_) SSE Mobile Notary Service
(_)_) Simple ... Sensible ... Equitable
(_)_) 877-243-2274 toll free
(_)_) appointments@ssemobilenotaryservice.com
(_)_) http://SSEmobilenotaryservice.com
(_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)
A Certified Notary Signing Agent - email or call for appointments
Go to Top of Page

AmandaC

18 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  09:00:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit AmandaC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find the comment "you don't have to have the second tray" interesting. I bought a single tray (capable of legal and letter sized paper) and it drives me crazy! I can not wait to get a double tray printer. Who else has this problem? Am I missing a shortcut to printing the docs? Usually the docs are in Adobe. This is what I do: I print one entire set in legal size. Those are the borrowers copies. Then I make note, using the page size as noted on each page on the Adobe screen which shows my docs. For example, pages 8-15 are legal size, page 16 is letter, etc. I go through and print all legal size. Then reverse for the letter size. I then compare to my first printed copies to make sure no pages are missed. (I have used their supposed "table of contents" listed with some edocs, which shows letter/legal,etc; this has proven to be unreliable each and every time!) This takes forever, but seems to be a necessity since I do not have the two trays.

Am I missing something? Is there a shortcut to this? Please! I hope I have missed something! At this rate it takes me a good hour or more to print docs.
Go to Top of Page

dionaea

Tennessee
21 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  1:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit dionaea's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use an HP 1300 LaserJet, and it seems to be the most popular. Watch the office supply store sales and it's often on sale or has a rebate. What I see is a regular price of $400 with a free second tray and a $10 rebate that brings the cost down to $300 after you wait a couple of months for the rebate check. You don't have to have the second tray, but it is convenient. The HP1300 LaserJet has the correct drivers for fast and smooth e-document printing, while other brands may not, so it's the best choice, in my opinion based on my own experience and on the feedback I've seen from other mobile notaries on forums.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  10:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For loan signing it is industry standard to have a laser printer. Dual tray is preferable. But if you have a single tray it should at least have the capacity for legal and letter sized paper.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.