123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Newbie & Mentoring Section
 Notarial Protest Process
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1 1 person liked this post.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  04:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need to check your state handbook first to be sure it's even an authorized duty in your state. Many states prohibit notaries from doing this. If your state does allow it the fee is probably spelled out in your handbook, and to that you'd add your "business" expenses (time, travel, etc).

MHO

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell
Go to Top of Page

South Carolina
12 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  6:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old topic again.. I just got this phone call too. This REALLY sounds like something a lawyer should do. I didn't have a clue about this process at ALL. I mean.. what would I even CHARGE for this? I told them I would look into it and call them in the morning but I honestly don't think they can PAY me enough for this.

Melanie
Go to Top of Page

kellyjmt

Washington
22 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  10:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit kellyjmt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know this is an old thread but I was just approached for the same thing. I too was not comfortable with the level of responsibility I would be accepting. Sounds like an attorney should really be involved. Thanks for the post!

Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  03:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way it was explained to me I would mail out the notice to the debtor and they had a limited time to respond - I was to receive responses via mail, if any, and if not, report that lack of response. Again, I just wasn't comfortable with IT or the person who proposed it to me. I wasn't crazy about being the middle man between someone collecting past due money from what could possibly be a disgruntled debtor.

Linda

Edited by - LindaH on 04/11/2007 03:52:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  02:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ruth for posting this information!!

~Carmen
Go to Top of Page

Ruth Simons

36 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  01:15:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruth Simons's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am not sure how it all works, but I found this web-site that explains it....and they actually handle the process in another state. http://www.webmavin.com/Protest.html
The notary is responsible for maintaining the timeline in-between the affidavits being sent out, and actually mailing the notarized affidavits out, and possibly even being in court as the notary that sent out the notices, if the person does not respond. Like I said below, you really should have knowledge of the process, which I do not, to take on this job....
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  3:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ruth,

I am sorry I havent replied until now. However, I never have heard of the Notarial Protest Process. I am now curious - what is involved?

Carmen
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  08:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Was approached several months ago by someone to help him with something similar (may even have been the same process - funny, similar scenario though - they had a notary over an hour away who could no longer do it) - I declined because I wasn't so sure of its validity, from what brief research I did a knowledge of UCC law would be important (or even required), and last but not least this guy just didn't come across as all that credible to me - he couldn't show me any valid credentials (or I should say any that I trusted).

I graciously declined the offer as, I told him, "it's out of the realm of my expertise".

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Ruth Simons

36 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  08:26:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruth Simons's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hate to reply to my own question, but the NNA told me yesterday, that I should not take this on without having special knowledge of this process, or it should only be done with supervision from an attourney or a bank. The guy never called me back to talk more about it, but if he does I will decline. Sounds too complicated and could take more time than it would be worth, and could take time from me in court if the respondents don't respond.....maybe he found another notary that was interested, since it is so quiet out there right now......someone might be hungry enough to take it on.....
Go to Top of Page

Ruth Simons

36 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  01:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruth Simons's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carmen,
I received a call from someone yesterday, asking me if I would be interested in handling their Notarial Protest Process for them. They currently have a notary doing it, but the notary is about an hour away, and I am in the same zip code. I am not familiar with the process, but did go on-line and get some information from other web-sites about it. I was wondering if you knew anything about it, how complex it could get, and if I would have to be available to go to court at any time over it...Also, if anyone has any comments about how much you could charge for this process. Apparantly, the notary is responsible for keeping track of the number of days between the affidavits that are sent out...and it is a 3-part process, or it could be, if the respondent is not cooperating. Are you familiar with this?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.